Corsair Community

F120 SSD Random Kernel-Power 41 BSOD; Not Detected on Boot

EDIT BY YELLOWBEARD FOR ALL FUTURE POSTS IN THIS THREAD

Assuming you are able to get to the OS, please take a look at your SSD with Everest, Crystaldisk, or similar utility and list your firmware version in your posts. Thanks.

I see that many people have this problem. After a lot of testing, here's my summary.

With Windows 7 x64 on this SSD, the system would randomly reboot itself (running 24/7, the occurance is about once every 6 hours to 2 days, so far only when I am NOT using the computer. When the computer is active, there's never a problem). Upon reboot, this drive (boot drive) would not be detected, while other non-SSD drives on other SATA ports are fine. I would need to power down then back on before it can be detected. But at this time, the boot order is messed up, and I need to re-select the SSD as the first to boot in BIOS. Event viewer records a Kernel-Power event 41, with bugcheckcode = 0. If I set automatic-restart to false, the BSOD is a code 0X000000F4 with no further details.

- BIOS set to AHCI, clean-install of Windows 7 x64, Asus P6X58D-E, Intel i7 930, Corsair TR3X6G1333C9

- Hybernation disabled; Sleep disabled; set to never turn off the HDD (well, SSD in my case)

- Pagefile disabled (the reboot happens with pagefile set to default as well)

- Happens when using the default MS AHCI driver

- It also happens when using the latest Intel RST 9.6.1014 driver

- Separate note: when using the Intel RST 9.6.1014 driver, the system will fail to wake up from sleep. The desktop would show up, then stops responding, then crash. This does not happen using the default MS AHCI driver. This is NOT a Corsair issue because I have had problems with the older Intel Matrix driver with non-SSD's, same thing.

- Not the motherboard port issue because I tried the drive on different SATA ports (from the Intel controller, I don't use the Marvell controller)

- Not the RAM issue as I have tried a different set, or single-stick, different sticks, all the same

- Not the SATA cable issue as I have tried 3 sets of cables

- I used Acronis TI2010 to back up the image and restore on a regular hard drive, there's never a crash. It happens only on the Corsair SSD. This is my first SSD so I haven't tested any other SSD's.

I can actually re-create the problem instead of waiting for a random reboot even though this method is not of any good practice. While the SSD is idle, unplug the data cable. The mouse can move for another few seconds, then Windows stops responding, then reboots (or show your the F4 BSOD). Note, this is not a power supply issue because unplugging the power cable gives you a different BSOD code.

Based on the above summary, and the fact that people who receive replacement drives have the same issue, I believe this is a firmware problem. The drive would stop communicating with the motherboard for a short period of time randomly, then this happens.

Please join me in this thread if you have exactly the same issue. Or if you have found a solution, please advise!

Richard

• Replies 617
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Corsair Employee

UPDATE: Please read here for the most current information from RAM GUY and Corsair

we understand that people are getting impatient on this issue, and i’m sorry we have not been able to provide a solution yet. Let me give you a summary of what we currently know.

First of all, we have received enough drives back to perform some meaningful analysis, and we have, in fact, been able to re-create this failure mode. However, drives that fail on a problem system work fine on other systems. It appears to be some sort of compatibility issue that only appears on a very rare combination of hardware and software.

We have been spending lots of time in the lab trying to find out what causes the failure mode – i/o driver, motherboard manufacturer, cpu, psu, os version and settings, ssd firmware, etc. There are lots of variables, and we have not been able to determine yet what causes (or, what fixes) this issue.

We have been in close contact with sandforce, and they are working on this issue as well. We have sent entire platforms to motherboard vendors to get their assistance on the problem. This is a compatibility problem and appears to affect a very small percentage of systems; the scarcity of the problem makes it very elusive and time consuming to resolve.

If we had a firmware version that appeared to solve the problem, we would certainly offer it here. But we do not want to do so until we can confirm that it improves things (and, in fact, does not make them worse).

We understand that it is extremely frustrating to experience problems like this on performance hardware. And, we understand that lack of information is equally frustrating. So, we will start posting a regular status update here on what progress we are making.

We certainly appreciate your patience, and are working hard to resolve this issue!

The power supply is Corsair HX 1000W. With only 1 video card, I believe this is already way too much.

The BIOS is already set to S1/S3 by default.

This happens for both the MS AHCI driver AND the Intel RST 9.6.1014 driver. With the Intel driver, the system would not wake from sleep correctly that's why I reverted it back to the MS driver. But during my time with the Intel RST driver, the random reboot happened a few times.

The F120 is very new (not even on the RMA page yet). I ordered the first batch that arrived in Canada (NCIX) that's probably why the issue is not discussed much. But I see a lot of people with the Reactor series having the same issue (i.e. this forum, a lot of SSD disappear from BIOS threads). People talk about the reboot. But since it reboots quickly, not many people can actually see the BSOD with automatic-restart enabled.

Your answer to those is to use the Intel RST driver. But I started with Intel RST, which had the random reboot issue. This is why I started to do a lot of tesgings in the first place.

Many people said this happens more often on Intel boards. But Intel boards are everywhere (i.e. X58).

With Windows 7 x64 on this SSD, the system would randomly reboot itself (running 24/7, the occurance is about once every 6 hours to 2 days, so far only when I am NOT using the computer. When the computer is active, there's never a problem). Upon reboot, this drive (boot drive) would not be detected, while other non-SSD drives on other SATA ports are fine.
dikai_yang, If you take out all other components like HDD's out of that intel controller, will this random boot happend? ...i dont have even optical driver on it and im not getting this problem.

This is not happening with the Force series drives in fact this is the first case I have seen. What PSU are you using and in the BIOS please make sure that its set to S1 and S3 and please use the latest Intel Mas storage drives.

I was one of the first to got hold of the force series drives, and the first to post any issues. Have you forgotten me? I was the first case you have seen, and here, maybe your second or more.

Let's fast forward. I've done my testing. Utorrent + p55 + f-series can replicate this issue quite easy.

Don't forget, I did say, it happened much more frequently when the pc is idling (my pc doesn't go to sleep. monitor goes off. THATS ALL. NOTHING ELSE)

I have experienced the issue THREE TIMES firsthand however. Right in front of me. From my 20 years of experience, what I can tell you is, the drive loses connectivity. The entire desktop becomes unresponsive. You'll find the "waiting" cursor on the taskbar, and all programs stall. Maybe you can alttab, I forgot. Pretty sure you can. This simply means that the system isn't able to access data. Wait for a minute or two. Your bsod is produced.

You best get your developer team to TEST based on the information i've given, because it can be reproduced.

I have an idea, since some of you might be willing to test. You know, many modern boards have another sata chipset - marvell, Sil, etc etc? Attach your drive to those sata ports. See if it still happens. This way we can rule out ICH10?? incompatible with f-series. Topic starter, haha you seem very patient and did a lot more testing than i did.. try test on another sata chipset?

I have an idea, since some of you might be willing to test. You know, many modern boards have another sata chipset - marvell, Sil, etc etc? Attach your drive to those sata ports. See if it still happens. This way we can rule out ICH10?? incompatible with f-series. Topic starter, haha you seem very patient and did a lot more testing than i did.. try test on another sata chipset?

Before I send the drive back, I'll test it on the Marvell controller (on Asus P6X58D-E). The first report is that sleep / wake issue IS present as with using the Intel RST 9.6.1014 driver. BSOD upon waking up.

I'll let the SSD run for another day and see if the random restart issue is also present on a different controller other than Intel ICH10.

At the 10th hour last night before I slept the F120 on Marvell was still running I was almost convinced that it's the ICH10 causing the crash. But when I woke up today the computer had already randomly restarted and not detected (please select the proper boot device, blablabla.). So looks like it's still the Corsair SSD on the hook regardless of the controller.

It appears that my other posts were deleted for no reason. I bet they are trying to hide something. I am also getting the same problem with my F100. I just got my new envy 14 laptop and i am getting the same unresponsiveness, but i am not getting the restarts you guys are experiencing after installing Intel newest drivers. It happens when the system is idle (hard drive idle) for about 5 minutes and when you go and do something that requires the hard drive to work you will experience it. When I go to the even log i am getting this error:

The device, \Device\Ide\iaStor0, did not respond within the timeout period.

If I were the company, I'd say if they have actually found the problem, they have to keep quiet about it until they come up with a solution. They mass produce these products, and then distribute them all around the world. Think about it, mass recall? We're talking about a huge loss here. Not to mention, it ruins the company reputation. Like many of you, I've been using Corsair products for quite some time and because of this, next time you purchase a corsair product, I gotta think twice? Gotta be careful and smart on this.

I can live with this for now but I'm hoping for a solution ASAP. I'll be pretty pissed off at some stage.. and I'm hoping that I can hold my emotions long enough.

wqvong: You've had 2 posts deleted. Neither helped the OP and as such was irrelevant to the troubleshooting process and was therefore removed to make the threads in question more coherent for anyone reading them.

biatche: IMHO the # of drive troubleshooting threads to working drives ratio (solely based upon my personal opinion and the # of posts on the forum) is well within the norm for any product line and therefore not the huge issue you believe it to be. That isn't to say it shouldn't be figured out, but I can't see them doing any type of recall period.

Now let's bring this thread back on topic to help out dikai_yang.

You do realize, not everybody knows about this forum. Some may not even suspect it's the SSD causing problems. Drive is still new in the market. If you wanna talk about ratio of problem:properly working within the forum, I can tell you that's at least 8:1 at this moment. So far, it happens on several sata controllers, linux and win7, amd and intel. Bringing this thread back on topic, how are you planning on helping dikai_yang. More precisely, you should be helping all of us. What we're experiencing is identical. I think Corsair should really look into this and test with similar setups rather than telling us to try so many things (although we do anyway without anyone telling us).. I've read that 3.0.1 firmware has power issues and Corsair should _Communicate_ with Sandforce on this.

On Corsairs part of investigating this, tell me or us what precisely are the ongoing plans?

dikai_yang: since you seem very enthusiastic with testing. Go to task scheduler, you'll find many tasks that happens during idle / fixed schedule early mornings. You may suspect it's disk defrag, but it isn't. See if you can run something in there manually to trigger this.

Xsherlock: my P6X58D-E and your premium version of the board have different BIOS revision numbers. If you're interested I am using 303, latest for my board.

Biatche and for everybody having the same problem, there's an updated Intel RST 9.6.4.1002 floating on Google (not yet on the Intel website). I installed it last night, my computer has been running for 12 hours and it has not rebooted itself yet. I will update. (of course this brings back the sleep/wake problem which I can live with by disabling sleep). If my computer can run for 48 hours without a restart, I'll say we've got an acceptable solution.

Note: the change log for this driver is supposed to fix the sleep/hybernate BSOD, which it has not; instead, it might actually fix our random restart problem. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

I do have doubts because my F120 does restart itself with the Marvell controller/driver as well.

The BSOD simply says the restart is due to system stops responding with an error code of 0x000000F4. There's no other description such as page error in non-paged area, etc).

17 hours, the computer is still running. But don't get your hopes up on the sleep / wake bsod because I tried and it's not fixed contrary to the new rst changelog. But it's much more acceptable now that the system doesn't (hasn't?) restart on its own.

You get such errors because you lose connectivity to the ssd. Something like unplugging a running hdd. I think since no one properly understands.. next time it happens in front of me, i should make a video of the process.

Archived