Corsair Community

ASUS A7N8X Deluxe Rev 1.04 - TwinX3200-C2PT

armbarcrashdumm

Hello,

I'm desperately trying to get this mobo:

ASUS A7N8X Deluxe Rev 1.04 BIOS 1009

Working with TwinX3200-C2PT

I'm using an Athlon XP3000+ 333Mhz FSB. Every post I've found is for 400Mhz variants.

Using just one module in Slot 3 the system boots and works fine, but if I try the varying dual channel slots I have no luck, as I get the voice POST "system failed memory test". I've tried some different timings etc to no avail.

Can someone give me some timings/voltages/bios version that they've gotten to work with a similar setup.

I'm REALLY desperate here, I'm pretty confident that the modules are fine as I've tested them in an Aopen AK77-8x Max with no dramas.

HELP ME!!!!

Hello,

I'm desperately trying to get this mobo:

ASUS A7N8X Deluxe Rev 1.04 BIOS 1009

Working with TwinX3200-C2PT

I'm using an Athlon XP3000+ 333Mhz FSB. Every post I've found is for 400Mhz variants.

Using just one module in Slot 3 the system boots and works fine, but if I try the varying dual channel slots I have no luck, as I get the voice POST "system failed memory test". I've tried some different timings etc to no avail.

Can someone give me some timings/voltages/bios version that they've gotten to work with a similar setup.

I'm REALLY desperate here, I'm pretty confident that the modules are fine as I've tested them in an Aopen AK77-8x Max with no dramas.

HELP ME!!!!

First off, the Socket A systems do not like memory being run asynchronously from the CPU's FSB. In fact, do not run your memory at any clock speed other than that of the CPU's FSB. In this case, the "333MHz FSB" of your 3000+ actually is clocked at 166MHz. But the SPD will set your 3200C2 memory at 200MHz (or DDR400)! That's clearly asynchronous, which in Socket A AMD systems will cause stability problems and degraded performance.

In this case, try to manually override the automatic SPD detection feature in the BIOS of your motherboard. Set your memory clock speed (labeled "Memory Frequency") to the "Sync" setting. Next, set the Memory Timing to "User Defined", then the SDRAM Active Precharge Delay to 6, SDRAM RAS to CAS delay to 3, SDRAM RAS Precharge Delay to 3 and the SDRAM CAS Latency to 2.5T. Finally, set the DDR Reference Voltage setting to 2.7V.

If you're going to run your memory in dual channel with an nForce2 motherboard such as yours, then you may want to set the SDRAM Active Precharge Delay to 11 instead of 6, since dual-channel nForce2 setups *reputedly* perform best at x-x-x-11 timings.

First off, the Socket A systems do not like memory being run asynchronously from the CPU's FSB. In fact, do not run your memory at any clock speed other than that of the CPU's FSB. In this case, the "333MHz FSB" of your 3000+ actually is clocked at 166MHz. But the SPD will set your 3200C2 memory at 200MHz (or DDR400)! That's clearly asynchronous, which in Socket A AMD systems will cause stability problems and degraded performance.

In this case, try to manually override the automatic SPD detection feature in the BIOS of your motherboard. Set your memory clock speed (labeled "Memory Frequency") to the "Sync" setting. Next, set the Memory Timing to "User Defined", then the SDRAM Active Precharge Delay to 6, SDRAM RAS to CAS delay to 3, SDRAM RAS Precharge Delay to 3 and the SDRAM CAS Latency to 2.5T. Finally, set the DDR Reference Voltage setting to 2.7V.

Thanks for that, I was trying to run it all in Sync but had no luck. I'll go back and try the settings you've suggested and see how far I get.

If anyone else has pointers (especially known good BIOS versions) I'd really appreciate it.

• Corsair Employee

Please try these settings after you load setup defaults.

CPU Freq: 166 MHz

System Performance: User Define

Memory Frequency: 100%

Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts

Resulting Frequency: 166MHz

Memory Timings: Manual/User Define

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6T

• 5 weeks later...

My mobo is rev. 2.0, and the only way I currently found to run my AMD 2600+ Barton (FSB 333) without having dump is to set the advanced chipset parameters as RAM GUY suggested, even if my DDR Reference Voltage is 2.6V (default).

By the way, I previously had 2 x 256 MB Kingston KVR400X64C4 DDR-400 modules running perfectly for 3 yrs @200 MHz (by SPD) and 3T-3-3-8 in dual channel mode. No system dump at all.

What's the secret? :confused:

Archived