Corsair Community

SSD Toolbox Question - and another failed SSD

dugn

I've had the Corsair Force GT 120GB disappear and reappear randomly in the BIOS enough and finally pulled it for RMA. I used the SSD Toolbox to clone the image (which was good) to a spare HDD so I could get the PC up and running urgently. All is well - except this:

I simply took the default options to clone the 120GB SSD to a 1.5GB HDD. When I get the RMA'd SSD back, I'll need to clone the HDD back to the replacement SSD.

But even after shrinking the HDD using Windows Disk Manager, it only shrunk to 776GB. Which means I'll need to shrink it further to perform to clone back to the 120GB SSD.

Can I use the SSD Toolbox to accomplish this or is there a good 3rd party tool to further shrink the HDD so the partition can be cloned to the replacement 120GB SSD?

Thanks for the recommendation.

Turns out they have two products that may help

• Disk Director 11 Home Edition
  • True Image Premium 2014 Edition

Disk Director is the simple, straightforward partitioning tool I need. But it doesn't work with Windows 8/8.1 (!). So I'm relegated to using the "Swiss Army Knife" product, True Image 2014 - which does tons of extra stuff I don't need (like backups), but allows you to resize partitions as part of a cloning process (and does support Windows 8/8.1).

This latter product is $80 (!) and the demo doesn't allow you to clone/re-size a partition.

Any other options or recommendations that might be less expensive and support Win8?

I was hopeful there was a cheaper solution to the way SSD Toolbox partitioned the cloned HDD for my SSD RMA.

You could try EaseUS Todo Backup or Macrium Reflect. They are both for free.

Other trick you could try would be to disable page file and hibernation file (in order to remove them from the disk), use Disk Cleanup to delete all unnecessary files and try to defragment HDD prior to shrinking/cloning process.

Archived