Corsair Community

Corsair 800D Graphics Card OverHeat

Kurokojin

First off I'm happy with my Corsair case; up till now I have enjoyed and think its preformance is very good. All I do on my computer is watch movies, surf the net and play WoW so not a heavy computer user at home. Case temps doing all things has been great and I have not had any issues.

Enter SC2.... Graphics card overheat and fail central. I have an ASUS EAH4870 not the best card on the market but a dang good one and far beyond the specs of what is required. Yes I've tested is settings, drivers etc... not what my post is about.

What my post is for...

Since the advent of heat issue while running SC2 I have noticed that there is a stagnant heat zone under my graphics card is this case. That is to stay the whole area of the case from my graphics card down is much higher in tenp and the air flow there is very low. Has anyone else noticed this?

I'm considering a high CFM slot blower but worry about pulling air off the card before its own fan and heat sink can do their jobs and hus cause more issues. Anyone have some better suggestions on how to move air below a large graphics card in this case?

Thanks!

Is the bottom intake fan in front of the PSU running at full speed? That's the source of cool air from underneath the GPU.

All my fans are running at max speed all the time. That one seems fine but it doesn't get the air under my graphics card by the rear of the case moving that well. For that area we really need a front to back air current not a bottom to up one.

If your using the stock fans then replace the 140mm bottom and back fans with something like the xigamatek one's ( there rated at ~ 63cfm ) orsimiliar as the stock fans push hardly any air and fit 2 fans in the top which should help to start with . You could also try reversing the back 140mm fan to pull in which may also help but 1 thing at a time .

If your using the stock fans then replace the 140mm bottom and back fans with something like the xigamatek one's ( there rated at ~ 63cfm ) orsimiliar as the stock fans push hardly any air and fit 2 fans in the top which should help to start with . You could also try reversing the back 140mm fan to pull in which may also help but 1 thing at a time .

Replacing that interior 140mm fan with something else is a good idea. I have 3 120mm fans up top and I am using a Corsair Hydro CPU cooler so that back fan is a 120 mm one that is blowing inwards. I'll definitely go look for some high CFM 140 MM fans though.

I found a 140mm fan from Yate Loon with a CFM of 140 so I'm getting two of those and swapping out both remaining stock 140mm fans.

Note to Corsair: With no front to back air flow a heavy duty video card working at full load needs more cooling than your case provides you may want to consider that. With the stock fans in the box there is almost no airflow under a large form factor video card towards the back of the case and that is a problem. May want to think about coming up with a mid case mounted fan bracket or alter the location of the fan in front of the psu or something because as it is now it's not good enough.

I have two 4890s in Crossfire in a 700D and I find that they do get very hot. During Starcraft 2, it was not uncommon to see the top card reaching 105 degrees centigrade. Having said that, its lower with more gpu-intensive games like Far Cry and Crysis.

Anyway, I've tried many things to get more air to these graphics cards. One thing that helped a lot was replacing the 140mm fan at the bottom. Instead I used a Noctua 140mm fan. The one that comes with the case is a bit weak, especially if you have an enthusiast card to cool. Sure, it ruined the all-black look but since I don't have a side window I wasn't too concerned. I'm sure there are other 140mm fans out there in black.

However, the problem for me it seems was the lack of airflow coming in from the side horizontally from the front of the case to the back. The air coming from the bottom was all well and good, but it wasn't enough to get to my top card. I also tried installing a 120mm fan next to the upper hard drive cage which could 'deflect' some of the cooler air from the bottom chamber to the graphics cards. It made a few degrees difference.

Also, put a Sycthe Kama front intake in my spare 5.25" drive bays. All in all, the GPUs get to around 95 degrees which is bearable (with the exception of Starcraft II for some reason).

I've just replaced them with a single card (5970) and I found the cooling of the case very adequate (with my changes).

All in all, this is something that I feel does need to be improved. It is my only problem with the case (and the stiff front panel!). The best suggestion I could give is to offer another version of the sidewindow/sidedoor which can have a 140mm fan placed in it (or 2 x 120mm) over where the graphics cards would be. I'm sure it could be designed in such a way that would keep the aesthetics of the case clean. There is plenty of room between the side panel and the slots to be able to have the fan 'inside' the case as opposed to sticking out like the side fan in the Antec P193. But with this improvement, it would provide plenty of fresh, cold air straight onto and between any graphic cards in the system and would make the 700D/800D close to perfect.

The best suggestion I could give is to offer another version of the sidewindow/sidedoor which can have a 140mm fan placed in it (or 2 x 120mm) over where the graphics cards would be. I'm sure it could be designed in such a way that would keep the aesthetics of the case clean. There is plenty of room between the side panel and the slots to be able to have the fan 'inside' the case as opposed to sticking out like the side fan in the ******** P193. But with this improvement, it would provide plenty of fresh, cold air straight onto and between any graphic cards in the system and would make the 700D/800D close to perfect.

Now that sounds like a good idea ( maybe with room for a 200 or bigger fan ) , i would buy this , any chance YB :biggrin:

A side mounted case fan in the door is a very good idea and would solve this problem; because it's obviously a problem. I'm going to look around at DIY window kits and stuff too maybe I can find somethign nice. Thanks for all the input everyone! :biggrin:

How about something like this underneath the GPU:

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=28200

Of course only for non-SLI/CF. I'd think that'd work good.

Over at overclock.net, A guy had his side panel modded w/ 2 fans and looks nice:

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/6247/dsc01143nu.jpg

I wouldve preferred nice grills on the fans though, Like some from MNPCTech.

Now that sounds like a good idea ( maybe with room for a 200 or bigger fan ) , i would buy this , any chance YB :biggrin:

I would definately BUY one if they would make one. Would definately improve the cooling of the gpu area.

I say either 2 120s or a single 140 or 200.

How about it corsair?:D:

This could be one solution for cooling.

One bay 5,25" radial fan from Evercool.

- http://www.frozencpu.com/products/2810/hdc-23/Evercool_525_Cross_Flow_System_Fan_-_Revision_2_-_PCAC2.html?tl=g34

- http://www.evercool.com.tw/products/pcac2.htm

I am not sure if its intake ore exhaust so some investigation have to be taken!

Hope this posts "product linking" i ok, sins its not a competing product.

Edit!!!

After some more investigation it seems that this fan is exhausting out the front bay. :(:

Corsair should consider have a similar product in thayer cooling product range, but as a front intake fan.

This could probably solve most of the air flow issues in the 700 and 800D cases.

Regards Johnny.

Archived