Corsair Community

500R front I/O panel dead

coolkid

Bought a Carbide 500R from Newegg 2 days ago. This morning, the front I/O panel is dead, i opened the case and see this:

http://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-bv95csqBdos/UG2hmN-cF6I/AAAAAAAAax4/foKZ0a3P7vw/s648/IMG_0044.JPG

the front panel wire started to melt :bigeyes:

:[pouts::[pouts::[pouts: How do i get it replaced without sending back the entire case?

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same problem with my brand new Corsair Carbide 500R - turned it on for the first time, and smoke came out the case - not very reassuring - found the same as above, the wires melted, and where they touched the case, started to burn the case too!

sorry for low quality pics. now the front and side fans won't work! I've submitted an RMA request too, but havn't heard back - I only want the front I/O panel replaced, I can live with the small burn mark on the inside of the case!

edit: Case also logged: 5181815 - hope you can help!

Cheers :biggrin:

Brimen79

IMG-20121019-00200.thumb.jpg.f7ad0572d6298609fc4be51bf31f481f.jpg

IMG-20121019-00201.thumb.jpg.ec1a761feb5ebdcee1cc036b0aa48c2e.jpg

IMG-20121019-00202.thumb.jpg.e083a9b6f59568a4193861d387505848.jpg

• 7 months later...

The reason of fire is obvious: The front panel is powering two 120 mm front and one 200 mm side fans. Each fan might consume up to 0.5A of current, total 1.5A for all three fans, which requires AWG 20 wire. All power is supplied to the front panel through a couple of very ting wires from 4-pin Molex connector, these wires looks like AWG 28 to me (wire gauge is like shotgun gauge: the higher the gauge, the thinner the wire). Such ~ 28 AWG wire might be sufficient for just one fan, but cannot support 1.5 A current for all three fans. If you slide fan control all way up, your case might get fire.

Corsair should recall the front panel with fan wiring.

PS. I am working in electronic design field for medical applications. I know how to repair and test electronic equipment. If I saw such wiring in our company products, I would request safety recall and redesign. A proper safety testing is needed including over-current testing for all power wiring.

Hi all,

how to you open/remove the front-panel to check this??

My front-panel is dead from day one, and only now I looked up the forums

on this topic (been busy fixing my issues with the H100i, no luck there still..).

Similar issue only that my front panel USB 3.0 Ports are not functioning.

I did see smoke when I first powered on my machine. Didn't seem to come from any of the components, but now I know where it came from.

I placed a ticket 6026325 but still has not been addressed. Requesting for a FRONT I/O replacement. Tried calling the support number, but it's a pain to get through.

Edit: Finally got through tech support and RMA approved however got the automated email to send back the faulty part? Not sure if to ignore this, since other end users were able to get replacements without having to mail the faulty I/O panel back.

• 5 weeks later...

I just bought this case, the Carbide 500r and when all my other parts arrived, I installed everything in it.

Then all of a sudden, smoke. Rushed to closed the power supply hoping nothing was damaged permanently and I found a charred molex wire running to the front I/O front panel.

I took everything out for the fear of something going bad again. Here are some images:

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn82/Zeign/DSC00882.jpg

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn82/Zeign/DSC00885.jpg

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn82/Zeign/DSC00886.jpg

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn82/Zeign/DSC00887.jpg

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn82/Zeign/DSC00888-1.jpg

My ticket number for this case is 6052200. I hope the replacement part for the front I/O panel goes well so I can finish my build.

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same problem re: the USB 3.0 ports, the rest of the panel appears to work fine. I haven't noticed any smoke, but haven't checked the wiring since reading that it was a problem for some people.

I opened up a ticket (6066804) 5 days ago, but so far no response. I've heard that corsair will just ship you a new I/O panel? Is there a guide somewhere on how to change out the panels?

• 2 months later...

It seems kind of crazy to me that I have seen multiple people with this wire melting problem and all I keep seeing is Corsair sending out replacement I/O panel kits!! Has this design been improved in the replacement kits? or are we to just keep our fingers crossed that this thing wont burn down our house?

I am in the market for a new case and I placed an order on Amazon for this case --- BUT THEN CANCELLED IT. How can Corsair keep manufacturing this with this serious problem?

I am at a total loss. I'm not sure if I could ever rely on this company again if such irresponsible actions are taking place.

I would appreciate a response from a Corsair employee on this issue.

• 1 month later...

I'm glad I did a search. This happened to me 3 days ago. I was looking at buying a replacement panel but can't find a seller here in Aus that has one.

I don't have the receipt at hand but may be able to get a copy from the retailer.

Any suggestions.

I'm glad I did a search. This happened to me 3 days ago. I was looking at buying a replacement panel but can't find a seller here in Aus that has one.

I don't have the receipt at hand but may be able to get a copy from the retailer.

Any suggestions.

if you can get a receipt corsair will send you another i/o panel..

even if a receipt isnt possible to get id still fill out a rma and ask what your options are..

It seems kind of crazy to me that I have seen multiple people with this wire melting problem and all I keep seeing is Corsair sending out replacement I/O panel kits!! Has this design been improved in the replacement kits? or are we to just keep our fingers crossed that this thing wont burn down our house?

I am in the market for a new case and I placed an order on Amazon for this case --- BUT THEN CANCELLED IT. How can Corsair keep manufacturing this with this serious problem?

I am at a total loss. I'm not sure if I could ever rely on this company again if such irresponsible actions are taking place.

I would appreciate a response from a Corsair employee on this issue.

its not a major problem,considering how many of these cases are sold,its only obvious a few will have problems.

this is a support forum so you will see i/o problems here but it doesnt make it a global issue.

• 1 month later...
Yesterday it happened to me with my new carbide 500r. turned it the first time, white smoke and wire melted. I opened a rma (6333849) but i want a new carbide because all the wires are damaged and i don't want open and remount all the things..

• Administrators
Yesterday it happened to me with my new carbide 500r. turned it the first time, white smoke and wire melted. I opened a rma (6333849) but i want a new carbide because all the wires are damaged and i don't want open and remount all the things..
The I/O panel is replaceable and all of the wires are attached to it. Takes 5-10 min to replace.

Really glad I came across this thread, I bought the tower weds & got it today(super fast) from newegg all excited & the same thing happened to me, the wire started on fire that runs to the front panel =/ I was pretty upset because I love the tower but now feel relief after seeing this thread & RAM GUY taking care of everyone. My Support ticket is 6366614. I have two questions for you though RAM GUY. In the new front panel is the correct gage wire(or whatever caused the problem) actually fixed in the replacement panel? 2nd question is my side panel(not the panel with the 200mm fan but the opposite side of it came with a big dent in it, can I get a replacement(white side panel) when you guys send me a new front I/O panel? You guys take care of me & none of this stuff happened when I put up a review on the case on newegg =) Thanks RAMGUY

Archived