Corsair Community

is one fan enough for h80i or you need push/pull

fifo

hi guys,

I've run into problems whilst fitting the h80i in tge apevia x-dreamer 4 case. first of all I am using the corsair quiet edition high static pressure fans, now if I attempt to mount the second fan to get push/pull configuration, I cannot access 3 of the ddr4 dimm sockets, I have 8 dimms sockets, 4 on each side of the processor, and I have 4 8gb sticks. where the recommended placement of 4 sticks is every other socket, not one after the next ( if you know what I mean). Another problem is that the 20cm blue led side cannot fit with this additonal push fan. this is a shame cause this 20 cm fan is quiet and does seem to intake a good amount of air. I could mount a 12 cm side fan lower down but it wouldn't be the same.

my question is does push pull make alot of difference to temp or could I get away by just using one fan on the rear exhaust chassis followed by the radiator without another push fan?

now I could mount the radiator at the bottom of the case as I have a fan mount there as well but then I might run in to problems with the pipes going over the pcie sockets, might make grahics card installations difficult . so I need your advice guys. what can I do?

It should work, but your temps wont be as good. The H80i is basically a Link compatable half version of the H105 radiator, which only uses fans on one side. I would give it a try and watch your temps while using your typical loads to make sure that everything is staying as cool as you would like. Push/pull configs usually only lower temps by 2-3C from normal configs.

just 2 to 3 degrees don't sound like much. so if am using one fan, should it be located between the rear chassis and the radiator where the fan will be pulling or after the radiator where the fan will be pushing air into the radiator.

I could fit the fans in push/pull but I lose 3 dimm sockets and the side 20 cm fan. I could mount the dimm memory sticks altogether which not the recommend way, this way I can use all the dimm sockets on the right of the processor and leaves the dimm sockets on the left free. the problem is in future when I want to increase the memory sticks I will be stuck again.

What about mounting the radiator at the bottom of the case, has anyone done this with the apevia x dreamer 4? There is space there for push/pull but there might be problems with the routing the stiff pipes pass the graphics card. but it if the difference is only 2 degrees then jt doesn't seem worth the hassle in trying to get push/pull config. what fo you think?

H80i is nothing like an h105. Far thicker and denser radiator on an h80i. To answer op question it will work but I'd expect at least a 5° temp increase since the rad is so thick and dense. U should be able to easily have enough room for ur ram. Install the ram then install the h80i. It'll clear just fine. Or what i would do is mount the h80i exhausting air and have the pull fan out the outside (rear) of the case. That should fix ur issue.

I've forgotten whether you are using this as intake or exhaust... With a single fan, push will be quieter if the H80i is exhaust. In single fan set-ups, push usually provides better cooling.

The 200mm is side mount and there are two more 120mm in the roof? I have to think giving up the side intake would be more detrimental to your overall system temps, particularly your GPU down there. From personal experience, push/pull is a little overrated on the H80i. If your running bench tests, that's one thing. But if I'm gaming and forget to up my pull fan from 500 rpm to 1500, it costs me all of 1-2 degrees in avg temps. Try your SP120L in push and see how things go. Your going to want as much static pressure as possible out of the one fan, and without resorting to 38mm thick models, there aren't too many that will push 4.00mm of pressure at lower RPMs than the SP120. The one that comes to mind is the Noctua Industrial F12i. It will have the same static pressure as the SP120, but at 800 rpm less. Not cheap for a fan - $30.

could I mount the radiator push pull at the bottom of the case, so it will intake air from the bottom floor of the case and outout it into the case with two fan push/pull, but I'm not shure about the thick pipes if they might get in the way of other things.but is it ok to mount it on the case bottom floor so it effectively sucks air from the gap between the case floor and the bottom of the case feet which is 2 or 3 cm if you know what I mean. anyone tried this with the X-Dreamer4 or any other case.

I am also using the sp120 quiet edition high static pressure, will this be ok in a one fan solution on the rear like the setup I have noe but the fan pushing instead of pulling ?

I am wondering if I would be better off returning the h80i and get the h70 which thinner and use that in a two fan push/pull or one fan. would this be more affective than using the h80i eith one push fan?

here is a you tube video of a guy eho has used the h80i with one fan as intake from the rear but I think hr has changed the fan to something else.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=x-dreamer4%20with%20h80i&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CB0QtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DZy6BP8shPIM&ei=cYSiVPLIOYbzUujEg6AL&usg=AFQjCNGKaOYmadpuUpyFJLHefAA6AFSl-g&sig2=3aHi1XzP6CL9O4PTPCV0SA&bvm=bv.82001339,d.d24

H80i is nothing like an h105. Far thicker and denser radiator on an h80i. To answer op question it will work but I'd expect at least a 5° temp increase since the rad is so thick and dense. U should be able to easily have enough room for ur ram. Install the ram then install the h80i. It'll clear just fine. Or what i would do is mount the h80i exhausting air and have the pull fan out the outside (rear) of the case. That should fix ur issue.

I'm not 100% sure about the density since Corsair doesn't publish FPI, but they're both 38mm thick rads, and I've been told that FPI is the same between the 100i and the 105, so I figured it would be about the same for the H80i too.

fifo, I'm not familiar with the size of your case, but knowing the the tube length isn't very long, I wouldn't recommend it considering that you have to route them around the GPU. If you're really curious though, you can always unmount the H80i rad and try to see if it'll reach. Trying to do so in a push/pull confing should net you 25mm in wiggle room. Like I said in my first post, play around with it, see what works. You can definitely go with just one fan as long as the temps are acceptable, but since I don't know your CPU, I can't say what's acceptable or not, just remember that your temps will be higher than normal for an H80i by ~3C, and I wouldn't be surprised if HOODed is right about the 5C bump.

I wouldn't recommend putting it in the floor. Routing concerns aside, you are going to be pulling a whole lot of dust into your radiator and beyond. Additionally, I have no idea what kind of noise that thing will make down there. Push/Pull on an H80 is loud even in the rear 120 slot, but if you add in a little more restriction on the intake (whatever your computer is sitting on) you're going to get a higher pitch noise that is not likely to be pleasing. My vacuum does a great job sucking stuff of the floor, but I don't like the sound it makes. OK, that was a little over the top. But the principle is the same.

I think your putting a little too much stock into push/pull, which is normal for most people when they first try this. I am running a single fan on an H80i right now. It's USB controller is failing, and still, I am only up 4-5C on peak temps and 1-2 on avg compared to dual 120mm in exhaust. Oh, and I'm only running it at 1100 rpm. What are you using this for? Even the most CPU bottle-necked games won't take your chip outside the comfort zone, unless you're running silly volts. 60C vs 55C on the chip isn't a worthwhile gain if you have to compromise something else, like the ambient and GPU temps. Now, if you are doing some long, intensive CPU processes, encoding, whatever, than that might bear some consideration.

thanksforthe reply,

I am going to do some video conversions ie avchd to mp4 etc.

I have just tested the breeze of air from the rad with the stock fan that comes with h80i and the quiet edition high static pressure which what I am using. you know what they both seem to give about the same breeze of air through the rad when I put my hand on the exhaust grill the only difference being the stock fan is one hell of a lot louder at full speed, surprisingly enough you still feel about the same sort of breeze on your hand on the echaust end. anyway I am going to carry on building the rest of my system now as I have soent a lot of time worrying about this and trying different fans. I still haven't fitted yhe cpu yet.

Good luck. Yes, those grey SP 120's can stay in their plastic bags. The SP120 quiet edition and the SP120L (grey) and the SP 120 Performance Edition are all the same physical fan. Only the max rpm changes (and color). The quiet editions are simply RPM limited versions of the Performance Edition. Not everyone has the means to control RPM for every fan. QE can be quiet without fan control, but at 1200 rpm, all three fans produce the same airflow and static pressure. The issue with the grey 120L's are they have been overtuned, presumably for review purposes, to get another 350rpm past the normal SP120. Whatever they did, it's the acoustic equivalent of turning your sports car into 1/4 miles drag racer. The sonic quality has been compromised to increase the top end, and those consequences carry back down to low end as well.

Video editing is load on both ends, but I would think the GPU will still carry the higher thermal load. In the event you do need to try something else, like switching out the 200mm for a smaller fan and throwing another 120mm on the rear, you will be able to do it without unseating the CPU. That's an easy solution later if needed.

I am using the corsair denomiator platinum ddr4 ram sticks and the fan does not clear it ehen I have pudh pull , I will post s picture ehen I get time. it seems impossible for most cases for that mstter where the radiator is mounted on yhe rear exhaust using an x99 motherboard where you hsve 4 ram slots on either side of the processor.

Whoops. I misunderstood. I thought the 200mm fan was the interfering agent. I assumed getting the door closed.

Good to know about the dominators. I put in my Asus X99 yesterday and had strongly considered getting the dominators for aesthetic reasons. Ultimately, I got worried about the radiator hoses getting over the top of them and went Vengence LPX. The left most slot on Asus Pro and Deluxe boards is super tight against the rear I/O shield.

If this doesn't cool well enough, let me know. If you have 13 more mm of space (instead of 25), you can put a 120x38 deep dish fan on there. I've used a few with the H80i. It won't be quiet, but even a cheap one will blow the doors off any two 120x25mm fans at low rpm push/pull. The one I have hooked on there now will outperform two Noctua Industrials F12 at identical RPMs.

I have also got the asus x99 deluxe motherboard, I'm assuming thats the one you fitted, I was going to get the gigabyte x99 g1 wifi but the asus seems to have better reviews and good customer support, and the reviews for the gigabyte g1 wifi were not good people having a lot of issues with them. anyway even with a different x99 motherboard the issue will still be there as when I have 2 fans push pull, 3 dims slots on the right of the processor are blocked so with a different motherboard 2 dimm slots may be blocked as they all have 4 dimm sockets on either side of the processor hence the only way you can get space for push pull is to go for a dual channel motherboard with 4 or 6 sockets or go for low ptofile ram.

Even with one fan only I have the ram stick on the first slot touching against the edge of the fan frame, if only the ram was 15mm shorter, that would do it. but these corsair denominator platinum ram sticks are one of the best you can buy.

unless you have a 250mm wide case which has 20mm space on top of the I/o shield, it can't fit, my case is about 200 mm wide which a decent width for a mid tower case.

what to do? just hope the one fan solution works.

it worked for this guy who has tge same case as mine x-dreamer 4

[ame]

[/ame]

I think providing my side 200 mm gives good amount of cool air which it seems to then

the one push fan should give decent temps as cool air is being pushed into the radiator.

Sounds like the 120x38mm is out then too. You're not going to want to hear this, but if this isn't enough, the best solution may be a passive 240mm rad in the roof set up as exhaust. It would be quieter, provide better CPU cooling, and give you the option of running the 120mm rear as either exhaust (for better GPU and internal cooling) or as intake to further help the radiator with fresh air. I'm also a little worried about your new BIOS playing nice with the Link program. You don't need Link to work for the cooler to run, but it another headache to deal with.

'

I don't think the h100i can fit at the top of the case in the x dreamer 4.

I think if the one fan solution does not work then I will have to mount another fan on the rear but on the out side of the case, the thing is the fan grill protudes a little bit out, so I either would have to use spacers in between the case and the external fan or if you can get a fan with the frame part (fixed part where fan cable goes along) on the intake side rather than the exhaust side in which case I could just fit it against the case without spacers. what do you think can you get such a fan?

on the plus side I have found a link here where tests have been done on the h80i with one fan vs two fan push pull and the difference seems to be 3c, max 5 c.

see link below.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-1976698/fan-fans-corsair-h80i-cpu-liquid-cooler.html

unless you run hard stress tests.,for the most part you wont notice a difference in running only one fan.

Even hard gaming would be ''cool''

Not two 120mm exhausts in the roof? Hard to tell in pictures.

I also think you will be fine with one quality 120mm fan, but I don't know how long one of your video edits takes to render. Still, we are getting ahead of ourselves and there is no reason not to be optimistic about your current set-up.

Unless I missed the processor type being list,the particular cpu will play a potential part in temps

Im running a G620 w/a original h80 w/ one fan and can encode for days and still keep good temps.

You really need to test things for yourself to see the out come...

there are two 120 mm exhaust grills on the roof c-attack but as you can see from the picture they are slightly apart see link below

http://apevia.com/productsInfo.asp?KEY=X-Dreamer4-BL

unless I mount the 240 mm radiator using only the first 4 or last 4 holes not 8 if you know what I mean, but not sure that would be enough to support the radiator.

thus I think the best and easiest solution for me if the one fan method does not work (which I think will work) is to mount a second fan on the rear outside of the case to get push pull, but as I said earlier I need a fan that has the frame bit on the intake side or have to use spacers in which case I would need longer screws than the ones supplied. now I don't whether you can get a fan with the frame part on thr intake side or get longer screws. can you?

I think the main problem with fitting radiators is that most mid tower cases and motherboards are not designed to accommodate them. May be thid will change in future as more cpus need liquid cooling. The cpu I am using is thr intel core i7 5930k extreme 6 core

with a max tdp of 140w. Anyone use this cpu and had cooling issues?

The retail box comes without a stock cooler, you hsve to get your own. I thought liquid cooling would perform better than the aftermarket air coolers. We shall see.

The spacing is normal. There was a brand war a few years back about whether the spacing should be 15 or 20mm. It looks like your case has holes for both. Of course I have no idea what your inside clearance looks like and again, I am not sure you'll need to make a change. The rear 120 is fairly easy to manage. Top mounts can bring other difficulties too.

the spacing is not normal I first tried a h100i and saw all 8 holes do not align. I think the two holes is for 12cm or 14 cm fans.

any way I powered my pc with only the motherboard with intel 5930k and 32gb corsair platinum ram and h80i powered, just to check for any bios error codes. I test things as a go a long instead assembling the whole to thing and then test it. things seem to be ok so far, the radiator fan speeded to full speed at start for a few seconds then slowed down. I noticed as it speeded up the sp20 quiet fan makes a little vibrating sound but once its at full speed or slow speed its fine I think it happens when goes through a certain speed maybe. probably normal. I felt the pipes slightly warm and heard a buzzing sound which I think is the pump. its audible from 20 cm with the case open, I,m hoping I won't be able to hear it when the case is closed. it seems louder than the fan at low speed. one thing I noticed is the fan on the axi760 making a tick sound avery 20 seconds, I could see the psu fan is in hybrid state and seems to move a fraction every 20 seconds hence producing the tick noise so that must mean the power being drawn must be close 140w for that to occur which is surprising with just an mb, cpu, 4 ram sticks and cooler. when I had the psu connected to my old system gigabyte ep45 ud3lr with intel core 2 duo, 4 gb ram, two optical drives and the fan did mot tick at all. I guess the asus x99 mb must consume a lot of power, so the fan on the axi 760 can never be in hybrid mode.

Archived