Corsair Community

AX-850 PSU shutdown problem

kreid

Hi,

Over the past year I have been experiencing increasingly severe issues with my AX850.

At first, my computer would occasionally fail to turn on - ie: press the power button and nothing happens. This could usually be solved by switching off the PSU, unplugging it from the mains, waiting 15 mins and connecting again.

Recently the time I have to wait is increasing. My computer is also starting to switch itself off at random - almost every day now.

I don't think the load on the PSU is an issue - I don't play games or do anything that stresses the CPU or GPU. System temperatures are all around 30-40C.

The motherboard is getting power - green lights on both the MB and GPU - but it just won't switch on!

Is this a faulty PSU? Please help.

No, I haven't checked voltage. At this point I am lucky to get it to switch on at all. Next time it decides to turn on, I'll check the BIOS.

I've done the paperclip test - PSU doesn't respond. To eliminate a cable issue I unplugged the 24 pin cable and did the test directly on the PSU pins, with one of the fans connected. No response from PSU and no voltage reading on any of the modular connectors using a multimeter.

Unfortunately I don't have another PSU.

Have you check all your voltage rails in bios? I would also suggest try using another PSU if it resolves the issue and isolating the issue is coming from PSU.

I have spent several hours today trying to get the computer to switch on. The most I get is that it fires up for a few seconds then goes off again. I therefore can't check the BIOS voltages. I don't know what else to do. :brick:

I fixed the problem myself. The PSU is not faulty. One of the nuts on the back of the motherboard had worked loose. I think this was causing one corner of the heatsink to hang loose from the cpu possibly causing uneven heat or loose pins. I'm not sure. Reseating the heatsink with new thermal compound seems to have fixed it.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE

Having further problems with this PSU. I think the CPU did need adjustment, but I still believe the PSU IS faulty.

After my CPU maintenance, the PC will switch on BUT I have to rock the PSU switch back and forth and press the PC on switch simultaneously. This usually takes a number of attempts. There seems to be a small window of opportunity after power is supplied to the PSU, during which it will accept the ON signal.

The latest bit of fun is that it has started turning off again. Today it turned off and won't come back on again. Back to square one.

fml

Archived