Corsair Community

Does any LED's work with corsair link?

Skcorpion86

Does any RGB LEDs work with corsair link? I know I can buy the corsair link lighting kit and get 3 strips of leds, but what if I want more than 3 strips, could I just buy some more strips from somewhere else?

And do I have to have the Corsair commander mini to get LED's to work with corsair link in sync with my 100i LED?

Thanks for the help....

• Corsair Employee
Does any RGB LEDs work with corsair link?

I can only officially state that our Lighting node or Commander Mini will only work with our RGB LED strips.

And do I have to have the Corsair commander mini to get LED's to work with corsair link in sync with my 100i LED?

No, the H100i LED can be controlled separately through the Link software WITHOUT the Commander Mini.

• 2 weeks later...
I can only officially state that our Lighting node or Commander Mini will only work with our RGB LED strips.

"Oficially" huh...thats a good way of putting that without getting in trouble with the bosses.... :)

I can officially state that any RGB LED strips work fine.

I have 18 LED's across the top and bottom of my 540 and 22 down the side running of a Commander mini and there are no problems at all.

You have to make your own cables since the corsair ones aren't standard, but its super easy to do.

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s300/nh_790/100_3292_zpsbf0d9f1a.jpg' alt='100_3292_zpsbf0d9f1a.jpg'>

Interesting. I've been eyeing off some cheap rgb led strips on ebay, these look like they come with a 4 pin connection, ready to be plugged into a led controller. Can you tell me what I need to do to connect these to the led input on the commander mini? Do I need to purchase a compatible connector, then cut and solder?

Interesting. I've been eyeing off some cheap rgb led strips on ebay, these look like they come with a 4 pin connection, ready to be plugged into a led controller. Can you tell me what I need to do to connect these to the led input on the commander mini? Do I need to purchase a compatible connector, then cut and solder?

Sure.

Honestly I didnt even solder. these things run on such low power, I think they just need to not touch other wires or metal...

I just twisted the wires together and wrapped with electrical tape. I'm sure someone will give me crap about that, but seems to work fine.

Anyways, the setup:

The connector used on the mini and lighting node is called an I2C or IIC connector. These days I think they are used for Arduino devices mostly. It also happens to be the exact same connector as was used on the old audio cables you used to have to use to on IDE Optical drives before XP.

I happened to have a couple of these old audio cables still so that's what I used.

[/img]

The cables I had had 1 thicker wire and two thinner ones, i took 2 cables apart so i could use the slightly thicker wire (one at each end x2 cables)

So i ended up with 4 of these:

[/img]

Make sure you get the order right, Corsair is not using the standard order.

Corsair:

12v

B

R

G

Standard:

12v

G

R

B

Then i got a 5 meter spool of 5050 RGB LED lights from ebay, probably similar to what you are looking at, as well as a 10 pack of solderless connectors. Total cost about 25 bucks.

[/img]

[/img]

I need to stick some double sided tape on the solderless connectors so that they dont peel away but the end result works pretty well. Hopefully this helps.

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s300/nh_790/100_3314_zpsf9a974c9.jpg' alt='100_3314_zpsf9a974c9.jpg'>

Thanks, I chat with a Corsair tech at least once a month and in July their light strips had a ETA of August end. I chatted last week and now there is no ETA for the light strips! So thanks for the help,; Since we are going to light our cases, too bad Corsair missed the boat and is making zero dollars on case lighting strips.

I just looked up the companies Supernight in Oregon and Hitlights in Louisiana and they are making almost exactly the same products, same strips, same remotes. Amazon is selling both products. Somebody in Asia must be supplying to both these companies! The patent must have expired.

Even if the corsair ones were available I think doing it yourself is a better solution. 3 strips with 3 lights each would not have worked for me, at any price. Even if the corsair ones were available I would have still gone with the approach I did. Being able to cut custom lengths is critical IMO.

If you look at the LED's you have and look at the corsair ones ill bet you will see they are identical, with the exception of the reversed G and B, and the connector. These are all probably made in the same factory in china, and re-branded.

• 2 months later...

No, the H100i LED can be controlled separately through the Link software WITHOUT the Commander Mini.

I just recieved the Corsair Link RGB LED Lighting Kit and i thought that it will work with my H100i, apparently it doesn't, do you really need a node or commander to make te leds work?

• 6 months later...
No.

The one i used was "Supernight LED"

I think any standard 12v LED should work tho.

Very impressive mod:idea:!!!

I want to do something reverse here. So I am planning on buying two the Airflow Platinum Fans which has LED L2C connectors. I want to chain it to the end of my Supernight LED strip and control it with a remote. Could I do it with this Cruis Pixhawk I2C splitter?

Very impressive mod:idea:!!!

I want to do something reverse here. So I am planning on buying two the Airflow Platinum Fans which has LED L2C connectors. I want to chain it to the end of my Supernight LED strip and control it with a remote. Could I do it with this Cruis Pixhawk I2C splitter?

Sorry for the late reply, I don't check the forum very often.

And thanks for the compliment about the case, I'm very happy with it. Since I wrote this up I have redone the wiring in the corners so it looks proper (no more multicolored wires just hanging about)

As far as your question, I think electrically what you want to do would be fine, there is nothing to LED's, they need 12v power and ground...you can even run them on molex or sata power if you don't wanna change colors or dim etc.

You just have to get the connection from the end of your LED strip into the LED wire on the dominator airflow.

At some point you will have to make your own cable since the channels on corsair stuff are not in the standard order (I mentioned this in my post)

I would try and find a cable with a connector that you don't mind cutting, since you probably don't want to cut the cable on the dominator airflow. What you are looking for is the EXACT connector you would find on an old IDE optical drive. the connectors on what you linked don't look the same as that (but i could be mistaken)

• 1 month later...

I bought myself a spool of 2.5 meters (150 LEDs) of 5050 LEDs. They work great, but occasionally flicker to full brightness for a moment, about once every 7 or so seconds, although exact timing seems somewhat random. I tried connecting another 2.5 meter spool and had the same problem. Do you think I may be drawing too much power through the corsair link? Is anyone else having issues? Great guide by the way, I love the way these LEDs light up my 900D :D

These are the LEDs I am using: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P8UR5KK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01

I bought myself a spool of 2.5 meters (150 LEDs) of 5050 LEDs. They work great, but occasionally flicker to full brightness for a moment, about once every 7 or so seconds, although exact timing seems somewhat random. I tried connecting another 2.5 meter spool and had the same problem. Do you think I may be drawing too much power through the corsair link? Is anyone else having issues? Great guide by the way, I love the way these LEDs light up my 900D :D

These are the LEDs I am using: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P8UR5KK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01

I seem to recall there being a topic on the amount of leds that can be used,I don't recall the specific number but it was much less than what your trying to use...

Did you do your homework and check the draw of these leds,it isn't worth a possible meltdown...

The blinking of the LED's is a known issue.

From the release notes: "RGB LED strips connected to a Commander Mini flash when a custom curve fan profile speed change takes place"

If you do not use custom fan curves the LED's work just fine, no blinking.

In regards to wtnyt's comment....

The commander mini can deliver 2A @ 12v to the LED channel, or 24 watts total power. (VxA=W)

a 60 LED/Meter LED strip (which is what you have) draws 14.4 W per meter, or .24W per LED.

SOURCE:

http://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/19413/why-doesnt-my-5050-led-strip-draw-as-much-power-as-i-expect

So you should be able to connect 100 LED's and be maxing out the power on the commander. I don't suggest you do that but you should be able to run 80 or so without a problem.

I have been running 57 LED's in my case for almost a year with no issues at all, aside from the blinking, which is unrelated to power.

Thanks everyone!

I was encountering blinking when I was running them in steady mode, so I think the issue is power related (seems to match the math too).

I've decided that I should cut off at least the last 50 LEDs, probably the last 60-70 just to be safe.

Thank you again for all your help!

• 7 months later...

Hi, sorry for bringing the dead back to life, but didn't think i'd be nessasary to start a new thread...

can you tell me if the RGB LED channel on the device is PWM or volage controlled?

• 4 months later...

Corsair:

12v

B

R

G

Standard:

12v

G

R

B

Sorry to necro the thread, I have a question on this quote.

What could result from connecting standard w/ corsair? Basically the green and blue would be reversed, is there any adverse affect to this or should it be fine?

I have the dominator platinum fans attempting to connect with my case connector which is standard.

• 1 year later...
Sure.

Honestly I didnt even solder. these things run on such low power, I think they just need to not touch other wires or metal...

I just twisted the wires together and wrapped with electrical tape. I'm sure someone will give me crap about that, but seems to work fine.

Anyways, the setup:

The connector used on the mini and lighting node is called an I2C or IIC connector. These days I think they are used for Arduino devices mostly. It also happens to be the exact same connector as was used on the old audio cables you used to have to use to on IDE Optical drives before XP.

I happened to have a couple of these old audio cables still so that's what I used.

[/img]

The cables I had had 1 thicker wire and two thinner ones, i took 2 cables apart so i could use the slightly thicker wire (one at each end x2 cables)

So i ended up with 4 of these:

[/img]

Corsair:

12v

B

R

G

Standard:

12v

G

R

B

Then i got a 5 meter spool of 5050 RGB LED lights from ebay, probably similar to what you are looking at, as well as a 10 pack of solderless connectors. Total cost about 25 bucks.

[/img]

[/img]

I need to stick some double sided tape on the solderless connectors so that they dont peel away but the end result works pretty well. Hopefully this helps.

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s300/nh_790/100_3314_zpsf9a974c9.jpg' alt='100_3314_zpsf9a974c9.jpg'>

All of the images are broken now because of photobucket no longer allowing hosted images (unless you pay a lot). Can you repost these on a different host? I'm thinking about trying to do this (specifically with CableMod RGB strips because they have magnetic backing so I can attach them without worrying about them being permanent or leaving residue) and it would be helpful to be able to see the images!

All of the images are broken now because of photobucket no longer allowing hosted images (unless you pay a lot). Can you repost these on a different host? I'm thinking about trying to do this (specifically with CableMod RGB strips because they have magnetic backing so I can attach them without worrying about them being permanent or leaving residue) and it would be helpful to be able to see the images!

Looking at his profile it says "Last Activity: 02-08-2016 06:07 PM" so I suspect you will be out of luck, but if you look at http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s300/nh_790 you should be able to see them.

What device do you wish to use to control the LEDs? The CLCP/CLNP need 5 volt W2812B LEDs which are totally different and you may find http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=907769 of interest.

Archived