Corsair Community

Optimal radiator and fan placement?

Ganthetb

Hi,

I'm building a new PC and planning to use the following Corsair hardware:

Case - Graphite Series™ 780T Full-Tower

CPU cooler - Hydro Series™ H110i GTX 280mm

GPU cooler - Hydro GFX Liquid Cooled Graphics Card

My question is about placement of the radiator fans. I am unsure of the best way to install them in this case. I am planning to install the CPU radiator/fan up top and if I can fit the GPU radiator/fan next to it, then I think that would be best. I can then do regular pull fans in the front of the case and a push fan in the rear. I am just not sure if all the radiator/fans will fit up top or if that's even the best way to do it.

Any thoughts on the optimal way to install these? If I were to put the CPU radiator/fan up top and the GPU radiator/fan on the rear, I'd lose any push exhaust right? That would seem to be bad since I'd have pull fans bringing air into the case with nothing pushing it back out....unless the radiator/fans of the CPU and GPU would provide that function. I'm not sure.

Thanks for the replies in advance. This is my first water cooled build ;):

You will likely want to set your radiator/fan combination as exhaust for both the CPU and GPU. The small theoretical gain in cooling by using "outside cooler air" is usually offset by then dumping all the warm exhaust into the case and heating up everything else. Fortunately, with both the cpu and gpu on water, you're not going to have a lot of internal heat, unless you decide to dump it back into the case. I don't know if they will both fit up top, but if you have to set it up with 280mm on the roof and the 140mm in the rear slot, you'll be just fine. That should be a nice quiet set-up that doesn't need a lot of fan speed.

You will likely want to set your radiator/fan combination as exhaust for both the CPU and GPU. The small theoretical gain in cooling by using "outside cooler air" is usually offset by then dumping all the warm exhaust into the case and heating up everything else. Fortunately, with both the cpu and gpu on water, you're not going to have a lot of internal heat, unless you decide to dump it back into the case. I don't know if they will both fit up top, but if you have to set it up with 280mm on the roof and the 140mm in the rear slot, you'll be just fine. That should be a nice quiet set-up that doesn't need a lot of fan speed.

Thanks for the reply! So if I put the 280 mm up top and the 140 mm in the rear, those will handle venting out the warm air in the case and the air being pulled in from the front fan? Just want to make sure I understand that correctly :)

Yes, intake air through the front. Exhaust out the rear and top. You should not need a lot of fan speed with this set-up. You won't want to run the radiator fans any faster than necessary and since the water is transporting the heat to the exhaust points, you don't need a hurricane of air from the front fans either.

Generally, using the fans on the radiators in the push position is a little quieter than pull. However, if you have a compelling reason to do it the other way, it will still be nearly as effective.

Yes, intake air through the front. Exhaust out the rear and top. You should need a lot of fan speed with this set-up. You won't want to run the radiator fans any faster than necessary and since the water is transporting the heat to the exhaust points, you don't need a hurricane of air from the front fans either.

Generally, using the fans on the radiators in the push position is a little quieter than pull. However, if you have a compelling reason to do it the other way, it will still be nearly as effective.

I'm guessing that was a typo and should have been "You should NOT need a lot of fan speed"? :)

Yes, it definitely was supposed to be a should not. One of the benefits of a full water system is you don't need quite as much air exchange as a system with GPU waste heat filling the the case.

Much appreciated. I've always steered clear of water cooling for fear of leaks but from what I can tell, the Corsair all-in-one systems are reliable. I'm not overclocking anything so I have people telling me to just go air cool but I'd like a quiet setup :D:

Leaks are very uncommon. There are pros and cons to both methods. I am running an air tower right now for the first time in a decade. There are some aspects I like, but I'll be happy to have my H110 back in there soon. Unlike an air system, the water will conduct heat away from the components, even at low fan speeds. You don't get (or need) the radiator fans to keep in step with the rapid rise and fall of CPU frequency. Every time I open a large graphic file, my air fans spike up and my heart skips a beat. Not quite used to that.

• 2 years later...

Archived