Corsair Community

AX860i boot loop

damiang78

Hi,

I recently purchased the components to build a new Skylake, with the following components:

* Asus Z170-DELUXE, Intel Z170, S 1151, DDR4, SATAe/SATA3 6Gb/s, M.2, PCIe 3.0, SLi/CrossFire, ac WiFi, ATX Motherboard

* Intel Core i7 6700K, S 1151, Skylake, Quad Core, 4.0GHz, 4.2GHz Turbo, 8MB Cache, 1150MHz GPU, 40x Ratio, 91W, CPU, OEM

* 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair DDR4 Dominator Platinum PC4-24000 (3000), Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 15-17-17-35, XMP 2.0, 1.35V

* Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX High Performance CPU Cooler with 280mm Radiator, 1150/1/5/6/1366/2011/-3 + FM1/2/AM2/3

* 6GB EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti SC+ GAMING ACX 2.0+, PCIe 3.0, 7010MHz GDDR5, GPU 1102MHz, Boost 1190MHz, Cores 2816,DP/HDMI

* 1.2TB Intel 750 Series AIC SSD, HHHL PCIe 3.0 (x4), NVMe, 20nm MLC NAND, 2400MB/s Read, 1200MB/s Write, 440k/290k IOPS

* Fractal Design Define S Window Edition Black Mid Tower ATX/mATX/mini-ITX Computer Chassis with USB 3.0 + Silent Design

* 860W Corsair AX860i Digital, Full Modular, 80PLUS Platinum, 1x120mm Fan, ATX v2.31, PSU

It ran fine for about 6 weeks, but since then I've been getting random reboots, and it seems to get stuck in a boot loop without actually posting. The error code on the mobo stops at 25 before rebooting again, and the power supply makes a clicking sound with each reboot. Each reboot cycle takes about 1 second. Unplugging all cables from the power supply seems to solve the problem.

Steps I've taken to try and identify the problem:

* I've disconnected everything except the ram, CPU, and case fans and it was still stuck in the bootloop. So this was no HDD or video card.

* I've tried removing and re-seating the ram, and still now joy.

* I've turned off the surge protection in the ASUS bios.

The problem seems to be most severe after waking up from stand by. It will reboot about 5 times during the first hour and then be fine, until the next time I wake from standby.

Right now I think it's the power supply, but unfortunately I don't have a spare PSU to test or confirm.

Any help or advice here would be greatly appreciated! I'll try to take a video of it when it starts happening again.

Many thanks

Just thought I'd update the thread.

So yesterday the problem got to the point where the machine refused to ever get to the point where it would at least boot into the OS. I started removing power cables one by one from the PSU and noticed that after removing the power cable to the graphics card it would start up.

I must admit when I was building my PC I was confused as to exactly how many power cables to plug into it. The card has an 8 + 6 pin. The manual said I could just plug in a single 8 pin, but that didn't work. I was prompted to plug in all power cables. I picked the one of the cables meant for SLI, along with a converter to have all 6 and 8 pin connectors connected up.

I removed these and replaced with now two individual cables to each connector. Problem hasn't reared it's head yet, so I might have just wired that damn thing wrong in the first place.

Will continue to monitor and update later...

I think it will not change anything. I have two identical computers with power supplies ax860i. On each GPU with one cable. On one computer works great on scond one still the same problem. Lost power in random time period, and boot loop. :mad: Maybe everting will will work OK one or two days, and next boom! reset and boot loop.

Ye you were right, when I got home that evening, same problem.

I ended up buying another power supply, (AX760) and it's purring along perfectly now.

Will contact corsair now and see what they say about the old one. I should have RMA'd it, but unfortunately I have work to do this weekend, and I couldn't wait around for a replacement PSU.

Yeah, thanks for your posts. This is even funny.. Yesterday I take car and drove 100km to get my new ax860. Pluged in, and everything works great. So.. the problems comes from start from PSU. Ohhh.. thank you Corsair, for all this problems and loosing my time and money! This is some kind of joke. When you are buying premium PSU, there should be no problems with it. Now I will send the crappy ax860 PSU to Corsair, and I want new one, not repaired buggy PSU, I want have new one, becouse corsair sold me damaged PSU from start. :mad:

ps. later I will try upload my video with boot loop.

I had an extremely similar issue which was driving me mad until I saw another forum post about crazy rail current readings in corsair LINK triggering OCP.

turns out my pcie #1 would occasionally read 64 amps, trigger OCP and then shut down the system even at complete idle. Disabled OCP on that rail and its perfect.

other things that could affect you:

-turn off all fast boot options in BIOS

-turn off "power on after ac back" option

408488831_ax860ipcie164amps.thumb.PNG.68c1ee204bbbf1a8cd5d8d4fa0853b82.PNG

• 1 month later...
I had an extremely similar issue which was driving me mad until I saw another forum post about crazy rail current readings in corsair LINK triggering OCP.

turns out my pcie #1 would occasionally read 64 amps, trigger OCP and then shut down the system even at complete idle. Disabled OCP on that rail and its perfect.

other things that could affect you:

-turn off all fast boot options in BIOS

-turn off "power on after ac back" option

I know I'm late to the party here. But I'm going to try this myself when i get home. Good god I hope it works

Archived