Corsair Community

Problems with CM3X2048-1333C9DHX with Asus P5KC - Bad stick?

AlexWalters

Recently been acquiring upgrades for my system, new motherboard, cpu, ram, and gfx card (was stuck at the DDR/Athlon64/AGP era!). When powering up it seems one of the sticks causes the POST to fail (either at start or part way through memory test phase).

I've tested with 2 PSU's and a couple of graphics cards in case it was a power issue, the same outcome resulted in all configurations.

Its looking like its just one stick as I've tried running just a single slot with each, but it is obviously not completely dead, as presumably nothing would happen at boot at all if that were the case.

I've seen a lot of people on various forums having problems with DDR3 in general, I've noticed a lot of posts telling people to input timings manually, or raise the voltage. There are no voltage control's in this BIOS, but there are a gazillion settings for the timings (far more than just the 9-9-9-24 values on the stick) and the 'auto' settings pick up the frequency as 1066 instead of 1333.

Is there anything else I should try before looking into getting it replaced?

Al

After some more browsing I found http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54052

I'll try this (Corsair tested values for the Asus P5K3 which should be 'fairly' similar to my P5KC I'd imagine):

AI Overclock: Manual

CPU Control: AUTO

FSB Frequency: 333 MHz

PCIE Frequency: AUTO

DRAM Frequency: DDR3-1333 MHz

DRAM Timings Control: Manual

CAS# Latency:___________9

RAS# to CAS# Delay:______9

RAS# Precharge:__________9

RAS# Activate to Precharge:24

DRAM Static Read Control: Disabled

DRAM Dynamic Write Control: Disabled

CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled

PCIE Spread Spectrum: Disabled

CPU Voltage:__________1.4500V

CPU PLL Voltage:_______1.6V

DRAM Voltage:_________1.5V

FSB Termination Voltage:_1.3V

North Bridge Voltage:____1.55V

All settings not listed should be left at AUTO or BIOS Default

I'll let you know how it goes.

Ok, so I plugged the 'working' stick in, set the bios settings that I could, as above:

FSB freq: 333

DRAM Freq: 1333

DRAM Timings: Manual

CAS: 9

RAS to CAS: 9

RAS PRE: 9

RAS ACT: 24

DRAM Static Read Control: Disabled

DRAM Dynamic Write Control: Disabled

CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled

PCIE Spread Spectrum: Disabled

Left voltages all on Auto (although it seems I can change them afterall, I just hadn't seen them previously as they only appear when AI Overclock is on manual)

All other settings were on default.

I started up on one stick, everything ok.

Shutdown and restarted with the second stick in as well, this time it got past the memtest (though it stalled briefly around 32XXmb) - pc restarted just as the windows 7 start up logo appeared. Restart resulted in a black screen only.

After a cold boot the same occurred again, so I switched off, pulled out the 'dodgy stick', tried again with just the single stick, and here I am back in windows.

Still not all in vain, I do know that I can change the voltages now if required.

Archived