Corsair Community

AX850 noise.

Rawrak

Greetings.

I recently purchased a Corsair AX850 for my system, the goal was to get a high quality power supply that would deliver excellent power as well as staying relatively quiet.

The fan stays rather quiet, can't hear it unless I put my ear right next to it, wonderful!

But when ever something "happening", it buzzes, akin to that of a noisy harddrives' seek noise. The "buzz" is easily audible and rather high-pitched.

It can be triggered by scrolling on websites, Explorer, playing games or anything that seems to slightly change the power draw from the PSU.

When my graphics card kicks in (usually idles at around 320ish Mhz to preserve power, but hops to 1000-1200 Mhz depending on load), there's a rather loud whine, akin to a whistle, very sharp.

These noises give me a massive headache and to be fair, I'm not really satisfied compared to the cost of the product.

I've already followed the guide (http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=85166), and it hasn't helped one bit, at least I haven't noticed any change.

My CPU and GPU are both overclocked, I've tried to restore the BIOS on both devices and run them like that for a good few days, this does not change the frequency or level of the noise.

Hope you guys can help me out somehow.

Best regards

Quite sure, they sit fairly far apart and the noise is clearly coming from the PSU.

I just tried with my old 460 to be sure, noise is still there and is clearly from the PSU as well.

Still have my old PSU lying about, but there's quite a bit of cabling to do if I was to test that out :P

But it's fairly easy to hear where it's from, the tone is fairly clear.

I have the exact same problem with my RIG but I have also tried a couple of other high end power supplies, one from Zalman and another from Corsair and all create the same noise when doing exactly what you've mentioned.

Because I had the problem with three different PSU's and I also tried a different motherboard / GPU combination and had the same issue I have concluded that this coil whine is just one of those things. It does seem common enough though, therefore didn't bother RMA - worth pointing out I did try a cheap nasty PSU and didn't have the issue.

Archived