Corsair Community

Corsair 750D extrme hard drive cage vibration/buzzing

Augustus88

I built a system in a 750D recently, and the hard drive cages vibrate like crazy. My computer sounds like a high voltage transformer.

Hard drives are two HGST HE8s and one Western Digital Black, all 7200RPM, so nothing crazy.

Here is what I have tried so far :

Spreading the drives out across both cages, no difference.

Adding thin packing foam between the caddies and the cage, no difference.

Adding the same packing foam between the cage and its plastic base, no difference.

Adding foam between the plastic base and the bottom of the case, no difference.

Removing the plastic base and setting the drive cage directly on the bottom of the case loose, solve the vibration 100%, but this is not a solution.

Propping the case up from underneath, no difference.

Loosening the screws on the bottom of the case that hold the plastic cage bases, no difference.

Screwing the drives into the caddies, no difference.

Removing case doors and front panel, no difference.

Removing PSU fan filter, no difference.

Tested the drives outside of the case in a different enclosure, no excessive vibration. The drives are fine.

I believe that the design of the hard drive cages and their plastic baseplate is rather questionable for vibration isolation. I do not believe an RMA would solve this issue, as I would receive the same parts I already have in the case, unless Corsair has redesigned their hard drive cages recently. The only solution I see is to migrate my drives into a 5.25 to 3.5 bay adapter, or get a different case. Is there some other hard drive cage that I can mount to the same location as the ones that came with the case?

Please help, I am on the brink of buying a different case.

Try removing the side panels and applying pressure to various parts of the case. I had this problem and it turned out to be one of the locking clips for the 5.25 cage and something on the rear of the motherboard tray. I had the problem with the 5.25 cage clips on my 900D as well, a small blob of Blu-tac cured it for now.

I tried what you said, and could not find any other source of buzzing aside from the hard drive cage.

I bought a bunch of things to try to reduce the vibration.

The first thing was silicone vibration isolating screws to screw the hard drive into the caddies.

The second was a 120mm silicone fan gasket that I place between the hard drive cage's plastic base and the metal frame of the case, keeping the plastic from contacting the case. The third was a rubber strip designed to go between hard drives and standard 3.5" case mounting locations with holes in them to allow screws through. These didn't work out because the hard drive caddies didn't cooperate with them, but I did place one strip between the bottom of the hard drive cage and it's plastic base, preventing any movement of the metal cage on the plastic base that it slides into.

With these three things combined, the vibration noise is reduced by about 50%, which is a huge help. However, the cage vibration is still the loudest thing in my case by a large margin. It is kind of pointless, having fancy Noctua PWM fans, a PSU with a fan that stops at low load, A GPU with fans that stop, and a huge 280mm Corsair AIO water cooler, when three idle hard drives create double the noise that the rest of my system does under load due to a terrible drive cage design.

Hey Corsair, when are you guys going to design some sort of maglev hard drive cage?:p:

Can't you guys do SOMETHING to fix the design of these hard drive cages, and then offer them for sale as an accessory?

• 1 month later...
My drive bays Rattle and vibrate so much they could be used as a massage device ! i have found a temporary fix , the thumb / pinch handles at the from of the drive holders , use something to squeeze them together once they are inserted im currently using elastic bands !! .

• 2 years later...
My drive bays Rattle and vibrate so much they could be used as a massage device ! i have found a temporary fix , the thumb / pinch handles at the from of the drive holders , use something to squeeze them together once they are inserted im currently using elastic bands !! .

Wow...Just came across this thread. I thought I was the only person with this annoying issue. This buzzing comes and goes every day and makes me go crazy!

I'll try the rubberbands. The last thing I tried was blue tac across two bays with HDDs in them to see if it worked...nope. Pushing the trays further back to ensure they are seated correctly...nope. Nothing seems to work.