Corsair Community

500R + H110 + FX-8350 = High Idle/Load Temps

devdevil85

I just purchased a H110 and combined it with an AMD FX-8350 to get the best OC. I am trying to OC the 8350 to 5Ghz but am experiencing higher than normal CPU temperatures which is not a good sign. I have the 8350 voltages set to stock and am using the multiplier to OC. I am currently at 33C running idle at 4.4Ghz (with all power savings options disabled to perform the best OC). It is hitting 61C on full load which seems insanely high compared to what the AMD Stock Liquid Cooling System is capable of doing (33C at load).

I removed the stock thermal paste with Arctic Silver 5 (using the bead method in the middle of the chip) but that didn't help. The H110 CPU fan is connected to my Mobo CPU Fan connector. In my 500R, I have tried both push and pull configurations (with the radiator on the bottom and the fans on top), but neither config corrects the issue. Is there something I'm doing wrong? I was expecting 20C idle and 50C maximum under full load, not 33C idle 61C under full load.

Here are two pics of what it looks like:

http://i.imgur.com/MpO609t.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ZmsAmbl.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

It is hitting 61C on full load which seems insanely high compared to what the AMD Stock Liquid Cooling System is capable of doing (33C at load).

with an oc of 4.4 on full load ,your stocker was only 33c?

im sorry,but thats rather impossible

At 4.4Ghz (all power savings features turned off for OC purposes) I am running at ~33C Idle and ~61C at full load. The CPU Fan speed is at ~1500RPM at all times. Ambient is a~24C.

well these are a tad better than average temps,,mine peaks at 68c,,

threw me off when you said 33c at load..:D:

61C is very high for a 8350 considering 62C is the max Core Temp.

Here's a review using a stock AMD LCS where @4.4Ghz (my current clock), in Silent Mode, at stock voltage, they were getting temps ~28C at idle and ~33C at full load:

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Processors/AMD-FX-8350-Overclocking-Liquid-Cooling-System/Results-and-Conclusion

I'm pulling 33C idle, 61C full load which are way too high considering the H110 should easily beat the AMD stock liquid cooler.

Hopefully somebody from Corsair can help me figure this out or else I'm gonna send it back.

• Corsair Employee
I am currently at 33C running idle at 4.4Ghz (with all power savings options disabled to perform the best OC). It is hitting 61C on full load which seems insanely high compared to what the AMD Stock Liquid Cooling System is capable of doing (33C at load).

Considering your CPU is OC'ed, these temps are good. 33C?? @ Load??, Plus I wouldn't compare your CPU temps to other builds, there are too many variable to hit specific ranges... not all CPUs are the same. From what you are getting right now, I would be very satisfied.

After reading the review...

The review are done in a room temp of 18.1'C... With a push pull configuration having the LCS drawing cool air from outside the case.

33'C load is in stock speed. Using chips that AMD sent for reviewers.... hmmmm.

So, at least there are 3 variable that in my opinion makes that review temperature quite good.

- Temperature of the air used to cool the radiator

- Method for cooling the radiator

- Quality of the processor in review.

Considering your CPU is OC'ed, these temps are good. 33C?? @ Load??, Plus I wouldn't compare your CPU temps to other builds, there are too many variable to hit specific ranges... not all CPUs are the same. From what you are getting right now, I would be very satisfied.
33C is at idle when OC'd to 4.4Ghz. Also, at load I'm almost to the Core Temp max of 62C. Something does not seem right. I wish others with an FX-8350 would be able to chime in on their temps. With this cooler (and how much I paid), I was expecting a 20C different between idle and load not 30C.

• Corsair Employee

Devil your temps are good. Reviewers would normally have much more controlled environment when testing is done compared to most of us. I'm pretty sure most people here would tell you that your temps are fine. I wouldn't worry about it.

Keep in mind that, NOT all rigs are going to have the same outcome, even if two given systems have the exact same components, do not expect the same result from build to another... It just does not work that way.

Devil your temps are good. Reviewers would normally have much more controlled environment when testing is done compared to most of us. I'm pretty sure most people here would tell you that your temps are fine. I wouldn't worry about it.

Keep in mind that, NOT all rigs are going to have the same outcome, even if two given systems have the exact same components, do not expect the same result from build to another... It just does not work that way.

Thanks RAM Guy, the only reason I'm still not ok with the temps is that others are able to hit 4.6Ghz and keep their temps under 60C easily with H100s/100i's.

Based on the pictures I posted did I install the H110 correctly with the radiator inside of the case in a push configuration?

I currently have the front, side and top fans as intake with the rear as exhaust if that helps.

These temps are pretty average from what I've experienced myself with my fx8350 and H80i and also with what I've read. I'm hoping that when I get the new 4pin fans, that they'll be a bit less noisy at high rpm's. Also, when you removed the original paste, did you "totally" clean it off? I ask this because I went through 15 coffee filters and nearly 1/3 of a bottle of 99% isopropyl trying to get that original goo off completely.

Just curious. From the pics in the OP, why no fans on the bottom of the radiator?

These temps are pretty average from what I've experienced myself with my fx8350 and H80i and also with what I've read. I'm hoping that when I get the new 4pin fans, that they'll be a bit less noisy at high rpm's. Also, when you removed the original paste, did you "totally" clean it off? I ask this because I went through 15 coffee filters and nearly 1/3 of a bottle of 99% isopropyl trying to get that original goo off completely.

Just curious. From the pics in the OP, why no fans on the bottom of the radiator?

Yes, I took a paper towel and isopropyl to both the top off the CPU and the bottom of block to get the original paste off then I took a microfiber cloth with a dab of isopropyl to ensure both surfaces were totally cleaned prior to adding the new paste. I would add two more fans, but they won't fit. You can see the 8-pin power connector butted up right next to the radiator in the pics I posted. I literally had to cut off the clips of the power connector to get it to go in there or else I was buying a new motherboard.

Anyways, my point is that I'm seeing the same temps as you except I have a bigger cooler, so why would that be?

Yes, I took a paper towel and isopropyl to both the top off the CPU and the bottom of block to get the original paste off then I took a microfiber cloth with a dab of isopropyl to ensure both surfaces were totally cleaned prior to adding the new paste. I would add two more fans, but they won't fit. You can see the 8-pin power connector butted up right next to the radiator in the pics I posted. I literally had to cut off the clips of the power connector to get it to go in there or else I was buying a new motherboard.

Anyways, my point is that I'm seeing the same temps as you except I have a bigger cooler, so why would that be?

I hate to say it, but I suspect it may be because of the lack of fans on the bottom of the rad. My rad is setup different of course. I can't put it on top. I do have fans (push/pull) as outtake. Plus, I spent hours trying every possible configuration of ALL my case fans until I found my "sweet spot". Not that its a fair comparison. But I have read a few reviews on the H80i and H100i and temps aren't very different.

I hate to say it, but I suspect it may be because of the lack of fans on the bottom of the rad. My rad is setup different of course. I can't put it on top. I do have fans (push/pull) as outtake. Plus, I spent hours trying every possible configuration of ALL my case fans until I found my "sweet spot". Not that its a fair comparison. But I have read a few reviews on the H80i and H100i and temps aren't very different.
From here all I can do is replace the 120mm fans (rear and 2 front) with 140mm fans and add another 140mm to the bottom of the case to increase airflow, but I don't want my case sounding like a jet engine (hints the liquid cooler).

I've tested my H110 in push and pull and neither method differed temp wise.

Are you running your pump at full speed? Disabled fan speed control in BIOS for the fan header the pump is connected to?
Yes, CPU fan always shows 1500RPM

This guy is on water cooling and is running at 28C idle at 4.4Ghz and 43C at load.

What am I doing wrong!?

How do these idle temps look? I just re-applied my thermal paste with slightly less than before (I think I put too much).

http://i.imgur.com/pKtP2Pw.jpg

So I've learned that the 27C "CPU temp" is the socket temp and the 20C "Package temp" is the core temp. This value fluctuates quite often as you can see from 8C to 22C. Is this normal?

Are you running your pump at full speed? Disabled fan speed control in BIOS for the fan header the pump is connected to?

Doesn't that connection just report the speed of the pump? It's been a while since I installed my cooler but I think it's only one wire on that connector is it not? I think the pump is powered by the "sata" type connector and the rpm's are static.

How do these idle temps look? I just re-applied my thermal paste with slightly less than before (I think I put too much).

http://i.imgur.com/pKtP2Pw.jpg

So I've learned that the 27C "CPU temp" is the socket temp and the 20C "Package temp" is the core temp. This value fluctuates quite often as you can see from 8C to 22C. Is this normal?

Those temps look quite normal to me.

One thing, your cpu fan is reporting 1500rpm? You must not have put the cooler connector on the right fan header. You should be reporting between 2100 to 2300 rpm. Or CPUID isn't reading it properly. I use Aida64 and this is what it shows for me.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/mr_allroy/aida_zps57c71675.jpg

Those temps look quite normal to me.

One thing, your cpu fan is reporting 1500rpm? You must not have put the cooler connector on the right fan header. You should be reporting between 2100 to 2300 rpm. Or CPUID isn't reading it properly. I use Aida64 and this is what it shows for me.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/mr_allroy/aida_zps57c71675.jpg

ALLroy, do you have an H110 as well? i couldnt tell in your sig. Another forum poster confirmed the pump should be at 1500RPM. http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?p=640171

I have the 3-pin from the block connected to the CPU Fan header with Q-Fan disabled so it's running at 100% power at all times.

ALLroy, do you have an H110 as well? i couldnt tell in your sig. Another forum poster confirmed the pump should be at 1500RPM. http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?p=640171

I have the 3-pin from the block connected to the CPU Fan header with Q-Fan disabled so it's running at 100% power at all times.

My mistake devdevil. I have an H80i and I confused the speeds of (i) series with the non (i) series. I have an H80i which the pump runs at higher speeds. My apologies for my misunderstanding.

Just for interest sake, what are you max load temps like?

My mistake devdevil. I have an H80i and I confused the speeds of (i) series with the non (i) series. I have an H80i which the pump runs at higher speeds. My apologies for my misunderstanding.

Just for interest sake, what are you max load temps like?

At full load @4.2Ghz (200.70 x 20.0) and stock voltages, I'm seeing 47C on the Core and 69C on the Socket. I am not ok with the Socket temp (it's only 3C below the max) and feel that a lack of airflow has to be playing a part. I was told by Corsair to make the exhaust fan blow in and make the H110 as exhaust. I will try that and see what my temps do and let you know.

to be honest that seems AWFUL hot for running an 8350 at 4.4 i was running my my fx8150 at 4.7ghz on an h100 i was getting idle temps around 20C how many volts is set for the CPU, and whats the volts for your CPU/NB?
Here is a snapshot of HWmonitor and Core Temp after running at full load for 10 minutes (see Max temps)

http://i.imgur.com/bKoKBzD.jpg

Archived