Corsair Community

Can 500D support E-ATX boards?

TheBski

I have long wanted a good mid tower Obsidian case, but all of my boards seem to be 272 mm E-ATX boards (Apex boards). The specs only specify ATX compatibility, but I was curious if anyone had tried an E-ATX board.

Thanks!

I have long wanted a good mid tower Obsidian case, but all of my boards seem to be 272 mm E-ATX boards (Apex boards). The specs only specify ATX compatibility, but I was curious if anyone had tried an E-ATX board.

Thanks!

I didn't see anything on the site, though in the manual, shows images of ITX, mATX, and ATX. The e-ATX might cover up the cable routing and there might not be holes to support the standoffs. So it looks like officially it might be no.

This review says the following:

The motherboard tray accepts motherboards up to ATX, but the hard fold in the steel by the grommets to the right keeps E-ATX motherboards out of the equation. The CPU access hole is large, the standoff locations are all marked, there are seven holes to pass wires through it, and various tie points are visible

https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/8529/corsair-obsidian-500d-premium-mid-tower-chassis-review/index4.html

It isn't looking good

Well the standoff layout is the same as ATX, but the boards are 272 mm wide. I suppose they won't work. I don't know why they can't leave a few extra mm to support boards like the Apex or Extreme. I guess the search for the right mid tower continues.

Well the standoff layout is the same as ATX, but the boards are 272 mm wide. I suppose they won't work. I don't know why they can't leave a few extra mm to support boards like the Apex or Extreme. I guess the search for the right mid tower continues.

You looking at the Z370? I love my Gigabyte Gaming 7, it is a standard ATX and has some great VRMs: http://www.overclock.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=99753

I like Asus, though price to performance wise, I think they are asking a lot for anything with ROG in the name :(

e-ATX are no where near as popular and cases are going to be designed more so for the masses.

That being said everything I have read on reviews say the 500D is based/very similar to the 570x and in this review they use a EATX in a 570x: https://www.kitguru.net/components/cases/leo-waldock/corsair-crystal-series-570x-rgb-tempered-glass-chassis-review/

Though when the same guru reviews the 500D, they didn't use an E-ATX.: https://www.kitguru.net/components/leo-waldock/corsair-obsidian-500d-a-case-that-is-intended-for-adults/

It might be possible, though the 500D is a relatively new case, compared to the 570x. I haven't played with either, though I have looked into both a bit. Maybe someone else could pipe in, though a lot of the Corsair Employees are Taiwan right now for Computex. Maybe look at more reviews or wait for a better answer, sorry :(

I've seen a youtuber use an ROG Zenith Extreme inside the 570x. The 500d uses the same layout as the 570x, and the Zenith Extreme is 5 mm longer than the Apex. It fits, but you may need to remove the grommets. :)

If he goes for it, I would love to hear back on his success. Would be good to know.

You looking at the Z370? I love my Gigabyte Gaming 7, it is a standard ATX and has some great VRMs: http://www.overclock.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=99753

I already have a couple systems I would consider putting in the case. One is a Z270 system with 7700K and M9Apex. The other is a Z370 system with 8700K and M10Apex.

I have just been buying Asus for a long time, since the Rampage 3 Extreme days. The ROG boards have treated me very well, and have been virtually flawless for me for many years. I'm pretty loyal when something treats me good, even if it's a bit pricey. Unfortunately, their top boards are usually E-ATX. Actually, I don't think they're full E-ATX, but they are bigger than ATX so they always call them E-ATX. The standoffs are the same, but the boards stick out a bit more beyond the line of standoffs on the right side of the board.

I've seen a youtuber use an ROG Zenith Extreme inside the 570x. The 500d uses the same layout as the 570x, and the Zenith Extreme is 5 mm longer than the Apex. It fits, but you may need to remove the grommets. :)

I will have to see if I can find that. The case is still pretty new, so I may wait for someone else to be the guinea pig. I have a couple cases sitting at home that I bought, hoping they would work, and they didn't so now they collect dust. I try to go for a more sure bet anymore. :biggrin:

I already have a couple systems I would consider putting in the case. One is a Z270 system with 7700K and M9Apex. The other is a Z370 system with 8700K and M10Apex.

I have just been buying Asus for a long time, since the Rampage 3 Extreme days. The ROG boards have treated me very well, and have been virtually flawless for me for many years. I'm pretty loyal when something treats me good, even if it's a bit pricey. Unfortunately, their top boards are usually E-ATX. Actually, I don't think they're full E-ATX, but they are bigger than ATX so they always call them E-ATX. The standoffs are the same, but the boards stick out a bit more beyond the line of standoffs on the right side of the board.

I will have to see if I can find that. The case is still pretty new, so I may wait for someone else to be the guinea pig. I have a couple cases sitting at home that I bought, hoping they would work, and they didn't so now they collect dust. I try to go for a more sure bet anymore. :biggrin:

Motherboard quality is pretty good these days Asus, Gigabyte, and AS Rock all make good boards. The issue is when people have problems, they all drag people through the mud. Asus does seem to have a better following with ROG, Gigabyte Aorous forums are filled with circkets lol. Granted Gigabyte has a long way to go for a fan base. I will generally buy the best quality if it isn't out rageous. When I was buying there were great deals on GB and AS Rock. Stryx were overpriced for what you get. Honestly all these companies need to stop trying to expand and focus on customer service.

Archived