Corsair Community

SSD is corrupting files?

Poisonsnak

Short version: I have a system which is unstable and I think the SSD (Corsair V32) is at fault - is there a way to test it?

Long version:

This computer has been in service for about 3 months and up until 2 weeks ago worked with no problems. Suddenly one day it wouldn't power on, startup repair managed to fix the issue but then I was getting random BSODs doing everyday tasks (web browsing, etc.). Chkdsk found a bunch of corruption and sfc /scannow found some important files that were unrepairable so I decided to reinstall windows.

After reinstall the random BSODs were still around. I tried the usual stability tests (Prime95, OCCT, Memtest86+) but everything seemed to pass. Some of the BSODs seemed to be USB driver related so I swapped the keyboard / mouse with known good units but no luck. At my wits' end I replaced the CPU / motherboard / RAM assuming there was instability that my tests weren't finding.

On the new hardware I immediately ran chkdsk and sfc and found no issues, so I thought I was safe. I then did windows update, installed office, mse, and decided maybe I would run chkdsk again just to be sure. Now suddenly there are tons of errors and after chkdsk "fixes" the drive the system will no longer boot. Now I'm getting desperate so I decide to swap out the SSD for an old 320GB mechanical HDD I have kicking around.

Now with the new HDD I have no more issues. No more BSODs or chkdsk or sfc errors. I replaced the CPU, motherboard, and RAM (both sets tested fine anyway) and even the keyboard and mouse - the only parts shared were the monitor, case, DVD, and PSU.

I'm thinking that the SSD is the cause of the problem but how do you know for sure? On a regular hard drive I would normally run seatools - is there an equivalent tool for indilinx-based SSDs? I've checked it with CrystalDiskInfo and IndilinxSSDStatus and both tools think the drive is fine.

Any input or opinions would be appreciated.

Hi,

Would one of the admin here please answer this question? I am in a similar situation. I suspect my Corsair SSD is faulty but it is very difficult to successfully RMA a component without providing test-based evidence that it is actually faulty.

The mechanical HDD you have, is it the same Windows installation and programs on it etc? Connected to the same ports on the MB, same cables etc?

From what you describe I would suggest that it might be a problem with what's installed on it, but you did try a clean (I assume you did reformat etc) Windows install, so it feels a bit unlikely. Although, there could be a risk that the same bad stuff entered the disk in your second installment of Windows perhaps?

Just talking from work experience, - people have reported broken disks in a similar manner here and it's always been something else so far. Doesn't have to be in your case ofcourse.

Thanks ram guy I will do that. I've bought quite a few Corsair products and have RMA'd my share of USB flash drives and RAM (though this will be my first SSD) and you guys have always been great to deal with, I remember with my 8GB flash voyager the rep ended up upgrading me to a 32GB because the wait was so long (and it was only like 2 weeks anyway), very good service - that's why I keep buying your stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I finally got around to putting it in my system. It worked fine for a couple days but now it isn't even recognized by the BIOS anymore (it just hangs if the drive is connected). Tried it on another system and it does the same thing, so I'll send it in for RMA.

Also one interesting thing - I wasn't able to use HDDErase on the drive before I installed windows on it again - it said "unable to set hdderase password". I've never had that error before so maybe it's a sign of a failing drive?

My case number is 1855540.

As for Parted Magic I did notice the guide in the sticky and I ran it off the Ultimate Boot CD that I use for HDDErase but I had problems running it (this was while the drive was still recognized by the BIOS) - it would start up and it didn't appear to be hung as the system uptime continued to count on the right hand side but the mouse and keyboard wouldn't do anything. They are USB but I have USB Legacy Support turned on in the BIOS and they work fine in other apps on the CD like Seagate's SeaTools. I wasn't sure if it was related to the SSD or not.

I downloaded the latest version by itself, burned it, and tried it on a different system (PS/2 mouse). It boots and works and the mouse works and everything.

I tried booting with the drive connected but just like on my other system it hangs during POST. I tried connecting the drive after POST but then once you get into parted magic it says "no drive detected". I did try one more time leaving it hung on the POST screen and it did unfreeze after a while, Parted Magic tried to boot but it hung on Ejecting CDROM and eventually the screen just went blank.

I think it was worth a shot but I'll have to send the drive in after all. Thanks for helping out with my RMA - I got the approval in my email yesterday.

Archived