Corsair Community

"Operating System not found" - Corsair Force 120GB

Sweep

Hello all,

I have a problem with my new Corsair Force 120GB, and judging by some of the posts on here ([1] [2] [3] [4]), I'm not the only one :(:

I bought my laptop (Sony Vaio VPCEB1Z1E) and my SSD at the same time. When they arrived, I installed the SSD and installed Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit on it. The installation went well and the drive was super fast. Then I had to restart, to update something in Windows, and on reboot, I got the message "Operating System not found", which I guess means that the drive was not recognised in the BIOS, the same problem others have posted about here. On second reboot, I think it worked fine, but after that it was hit or miss whether it would be recognised or not. I did notice one thing which might be of interest though: Booting from the laptop battery only, never worked (afair), and the drive seemed to be recognised more often if the battery was not in at all.

Here's the really sad part: Thinking it was a laptop problem, I returned the laptop! I then got a new laptop, same model. It arrived the other day and I did the same thing; Installed the SSD and re-installed Windows.

You can only imagine my frustration when on reboot I got the exact same message.

So, at the moment, my €300 drive is sitting upstairs, useless, while I plod slowly along on the stock 5400RPM 500GB HDD that came with the laptop (but which hasn't given me any issues whatsoever). Naturally, I'm angry, and I'd like some answers. Answers to questions like:

1. Is there a fix?

2. (if no to 1.) Will there be a fix?

3. (if yes to 2.) How long will this fix take?

4. Am I better off just RMA-ing the drive now rather than waiting for said fix?

I'd really like to see a fix for this, because when it did work, the drive was amazing. I could cold boot in about 15 seconds, program installations were done in the blink of an eye etc. If the drive wasn't so damn good when it did work I might not even be so annoyed about it! :D:

Looking forward to hearing from one of you.

• Corsair Employee
1. Is there a fix?

A: No not at this time. But check with the NB Manufacturer for a BIOS update.

2. (if no to 1.) Will there be a fix?

A: Yes but No ETA if it turns out to be a problem with the drive. Can you test it in another system?

3. (if yes to 2.) How long will this fix take?

A: Sorry No ETA

4. Am I better off just RMA-ing the drive now rather than waiting for said fix?

At this point there is not enough information to know for sure what the problems might be. There will be an update for the Force drive but from what you have posted it may or may not be related to the problem you posted.

And for an OEM NB I would suggest using our Performance Series SSD drives normally.

Please look on the label of the drive and give us the Lot code at the bottom under the part number also what driver version is the controller using? You can get that from Control Panel!

Hi RAMGUY, and thanks for the reply :):

Please look on the label of the drive and give us the Lot code at the bottom under the part number also what driver version is the controller using? You can get that from Control Panel!

Would this be the Lot code?: G12022000188051

It was printed on the top side of the drive.

As for the controller's driver version, would this be it?

Intel® 5 Series 4 Port SATA AHCI Controller, Version 9.5.4.1001

Excuse my ignorance if any of this is wrong, I'm a little out of my depth here! :o:

Great and thank you that is the right information, and I am sorry I forgot to ask before are you running in AHCI Mode?

From what I've read on my laptop's owners thread on notebookreview ([1] [2]), AHCI mode is on automatically, but is there any way I can check to make absolutely sure?

Following these instructions from that thread;

1.Exit all Windows-based programs.

2.Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

3.If you receive the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.

4.Locate and then click the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESystemCurrentControlSetServicesMsahci

5.In the right pane, right-click Start in the Name column, and then click Modify.

6.In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.

7.On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor.

I got to the "Start" value box, and it was already 0, so I guess this means it's already in AHCI mode. That right?

Following these instructions from that thread;

I got to the "Start" value box, and it was already 0, so I guess this means it's already in AHCI mode. That right?

I can't find your system specifications. Could you please add them to your profile in the dropdown menu as requested at registration? ::pirate::

Sweep, please check your Device Manager. Tell me what specific Intel controller is in that laptop and also tell us what driver it is using.

Is that this by any chance:

Intel® 5 Series 4 Port SATA AHCI Controller, Version 9.5.4.1001

If not, I've taken a screenshot of my device manager. I hope it's in there somewhere! Again, please excuse the lack of techno-education here... :o:

http://omg.wthax.org/Device_manager_thumb.jpg

I don't seem to have a Storage Controller tab:

http://omg.wthax.org/Device_manager_2_thumb.jpg

but I did find the Debian driver library page for (almost) the same laptop as mine (hopefully Sony are too lazy to change chipsets for laptops from the same model family with slightly different specs!). Here it is:

http://kmuto.jp/debian/hcl/Sony/VAIO+vpceb1m1e

Any use?

Lets get it replaced, please use the link on the left and we will be happy too replace it. However, since its an OEM Notebook I would strongly suggest using our Performance Series SSD's.

I think you're right, but from what I've read, RMAing for a replacement Force 120GB will produce the same problem. Can I RMA to switch with a Performance series drive (P128)?

No sorry we can only replace for the same part that is sent in, I would try the reseller and see if they can credit you and sell the Performance series drive.

But... what happens when I RMA to you guys for a replacement part (exact same model and size), which, (based on the evidence in the threads here, especially this one), also won't work?

Archived