Corsair Community

Help P4C800E Deluxe & 3200XLPRO

sushilb

Ive just purchased this RAM, I am having problems with random crashes and errors in MEMTEST, test 5.

P4C800-e deluxe latest bios 1017 (i875 chipset)

P4 3.0 512 cache

tagan 480W power supply

MSI FX900XT graphics

first of all I have manually set the SPD to 2-2-2-5

AI overclock is set yo 5 %, therefore increasing memory to 210MHZ, CPU to 3.15 MHZ. Leagcy usb turned off.

MEMTest (stage 5) in Dual Mode fails towards 95-99 % with errors, see attached pic.

Individually tested each module, each module tested ok and tested in different slots. Problem occurs with two modules in dual mode. I also get random crashes in XP.

I have tried my old kingston value ram, this completes mem test ok.

Please can some one help me , I dont know if i have faulty ram as each module on its own passes mem test. I woulds like to know if these errors (see attached) are causing problem. I thought that this memory was overclockable ?

Can someone please help.

DSCF0041.thumb.JPG.15e0bad93a97cffe0e66cdb5a0d48444.JPG

• Corsair Employee
I would suggest you set the Dim Voltage to 2.85 Volts and all of the settings should be set manually. The AI over clock tuner was designed with the assumption you would be using a JEDEC compliant module and may not run properly with an auto over clock setting! If you want to try that I would suggest you set the timings to Cass 3-3-3-8 at 2.85 Volts and see where the CPU tops out! In addition, failures in test 5 or 3 might suggest CPU or cache!

When I installed the RAM spd settings were 2.5-2-2-5. I thought they should be 2-2-2-5 ?

I dont think that it could be a cpu or cache problem as my old kingston value ram passes ok in memtest (test 5 ok) in dual channel mode.

The strange thing is that each Corsair Pro module (overclocked ai 5%) passes memtest test 5 ok. However together they fail test 5.

In your response do you mean try 3-3-3-8 @ 2.85V with ai overclocking or manually.

If so how do I manually overclock fsb on p4c800E ?

Another question therefore regarding the JEDEC stuff, would therefore the XMS4000PRO would not have been a better choicd for this board ?

Also do you think running the ram at 2-2-2-5 & ai overclock 5 % is accountable for the random crashes in XP and also the memtest (stage 5) errors ?

what would be the best overclockable settings for me ?

• Corsair Employee
Well these modules are rated at 2.7 Volts, and in order to set the Dim Voltage you need to set AI over Clocking to manual and then set the Dim Voltage to 2.75 Volts. And if you are over clocking beyond 200 MHz you may need to set or increase the Voltage to 2.85 Volts and upping the CPU voltage may be needed as well. However, the Northwood 2.8 CPU's and above have not over clocked as well as 2.4 or 2.6 Northwood CPU's so you may not got much over 210Mhz with the CPU you have! And as you increase the FSB you will need to relax the timings on the memory!

I have managed to overclock the FSB to 220 Mhz, DDR Voltage 2.85V, SPD 2.5-3-3-7, PAT Enabled, Performance mode auto.

Sandra Memory Bench gives Int Buff 4953, Float buff 4962.

Prime 95 stress tested ok.

Is this good ?, can i go any higher ?, can i tighten memory timings ?

Will the DDR voltage @ 2.85V cause any damage to the RAM ?

• Corsair Employee
Max supported Dim Voltage on all of our DDR is 2.9 Volts so as long as you don’t go over 2.9 Volts if the ever fail we will be happy to replace them! And yes you can try and tweak the timings. I would try 2-3-3-6 and see if the system is still stable!

Archived