Corsair Community

2GB RAM for MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum

blues63

I am currently putting together an Athlon 64 3500+ system, socket 939, and will use the new MSI 8KN Neo2 Platinum (it got a great review at AnandTech [url]http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2128&p=17[/url] ). I would like to install 2GB of RAM. Can I get away with Corsair 2.0 GB TWINX-3200 DDR RAM? I assume 3200XL would be better, but I'm having trouble sourcing that from an Australian supplier. I am reluctant to use two 1GB TWINX kits because I understand that, due to memory implementation in the Athlon 64s, once you go beyond two dimms the memory slows down to 333MHz. Any thoughts?

• Corsair Employee
If you want 2.0 Gig of memory I would suggest Twinx2048-3200, however you would get better performance with 1-1.0 Gig set of Twinx1024-3200LL modules instead, and I would not suggest more than 2 modules with this platform!

Many thanks! I do need 2GB, despite the possible drop in performance you mention, because the system is intended as a DAW. Some of the samples I may need to load (e.g. Grand Pianos) can individually fill 1GB of RAM! The other 1G is obviously then required for OS and software, including sequencer and multiple soft synths. Cheers.

• 1 month later...
<<If you want 2.0 Gig of memory I would suggest Twinx2048-3200, however you would get better performance with 1-1.0 Gig set of Twinx1024-3200LL modules instead, and I would not suggest more than 2 modules with this platform!>> When you say that you would not suggest more than 2 modules with "this platform" do you mean the MSI K8N Neo2, any system that uses the Nforce3-250 or any socket 939 motherboard? I just built a new system with an Athlon 64 3800+ and a MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum Mb, and I put in 2 sets (4 sticks) of TWINX1024-3200LLPRO RAM. I've had to set the memory bus speed to 166/333 to get my system to be stable, and I was hoping there was some way to get 2 Gb of RAM to run at 200/400. Am I SOL with this MB/RAM combo without cranking down the speed? Is there a better MB that I could be using? I really need both the performance as well as 2 Gb of RAM. -Hoser

Thanks for the timing suggestions. I'll try that this evening. Based on your previous comments, I have the impression that perhaps the MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum is not the best socket 939 MB - at least from a RAM stability standpoint. What socket 939 MB have you had the best results with in your testing? -Hoser

I tried the settings you suggested and they seemed to work just fine - I ran memtest overnight with no failures. Thanks for your help! I am a little disappointed at the performance tradeoff required to make this work. Does Corsair sell any RAM that would allow me to run with 2 Gb of RAM with CAS 2 and a 1T memory rate on this MB? -Hoser

Archived