Corsair Community

Cas Latency

MatrixTNT

Hello Nice Site. I have the ASUS A7V600 motherboard. I am try to run 2 sticks of Micron 512 pc3200(MT16VDDT646AG-40BC4) The system crashes with 2 sticks runs good with one. The book and the site say it should run with this type of RAM. ASUS sent me here to ask what the CAS LATENCY settings are. System info ASUS A7V600 AMD XP 2800+ processor Antes case 400 watt power supply Radeon 9800 pro video 80 gig wesren digital hard drive 8 megf cahce. I having been workin on this for over a month I am going crazy :). Can you help me ?

Welcome to the Forums "MatrixTNT"!!! Well......That's not a Corsair part number, but I try to help you. Runs good with one you say, boot it with one and run Memtest. Did it pass? If yes then switch it with the other and run Memtest on that one. Did it pass? Try a CAS of 2.5 [url]http://www.memtest86.com/[/url]

According to Micron's product guide, the memory is CL3. The module's SPD should set up that way. Make sure you have the latest BIOS version. If possible, set the timings loose. If 400MHz, try 3-4-4-8. The bad news is that this is a single channel board with a Via chipset (I think). It may not be possible to drive 4 ranks (2 double-sided modules) at DDR-400. You may have to back off the DDR-333 with that much memory. Good luck. But you may have to choose between 'more memory' and 'faster memory'.

The memory modules are probably working as advertised. That is, there is nothing wrong with either of them. The problem is probably that the chipset/MB may not be capable of driving that many chips (32) at DDR400 speeds. It works fine when it only has to drive 16 chips (just 1 module). If I am right, you have the following alternatives to try to get both modules working at the same time. I am not familiar with your BIOS, so you may or may not be able to try all of these: - Turn off any turbo or other 'enhanced' modes - Try increasing the memory voltage (maximum of 2.8V) - Try increasing the processor voltage - Loosen the memory timings (CL, TRCD, TRP). Higher numbers are looser. - Slow down the bus speed (probably to DDR333). - Add a better cooler for the chipset (I am not sure what you have). Your last alternative if you really think you need to use 2 512MB modules is to buy better memory (a free plug for Corsair XMS since you are using their forum!). Better memory might make up for other shortcomings in your system and allow for faster operation. Of course, there are no guarantees about this.

• Corsair Employee
Pin1_Refresh is correct! And with this MB I would suggest that you stager the modules, If you have 3 slots use slots 1 and 3 and set the memory Freq so its running at DDR333 and you will probably not have any problems. This chipset seems to be close to KT400 chipset at least in how it reacts to memory and if your CPU speed is 166 MHz you should be running the memory at the same freq. for best performance. Ram Guy

Well the place I bought it from the guy say he has the same set up and it runs, funny things is they put it together the boad ram processor in the case. They had it twice, But I will try slots 1 and 3 I had them in slots 2 and 3. ASUS gave me an RMA# to send it back and they would send me another one. Thanks for all you help Do you have a banner for this site ? If you do, and do not mind I will put it up on our site. I am a CO. for a war game squad. Black Hawk Down the site that is up now is temporary.

• Corsair Employee
Honestly I see no problem at all with it but it's not my decision. I will forward a link to our marketing or please email me with the request and I will sure get the official answer for you. [EMAIL=ramguy@corsairmemory.com]Ram Guy[/EMAIL]

Archived