Corsair Community

Corsair H60 overheating cpu

Fubi

Hello there, I used to have a problem with overheating cpu in the past I decided to buy new tower case and new cooler so I did, I bought Corsair H60 2013 version and Cooler Master HAF 723 high end tower case. My problem was gone, idle temp was no bigger than 40C which made me happy, but now the problem occurs again, while idle I get 76C which is extremely high, of course it gets higher when I run a game or something. I've cleaned all the fans and entire case today, all the fans are fully working, what can be wrong? Here is what I run:

Processor

AMD FX-8150 8 core processor
Socket AM3+ (942)
Core voltage ~1.280 (keeps chaning)
Core speed 3590MHz (keeps chaning)
Multiplier (jumping between x7 and x19)
Bus Speed 2400MHz

Mainboard

ASRock 970 Pro3
CHipset AMD
PCI-E x16

Memory

Corsair
Type: DDR3
NB Freqency: 2195.2Mhz
Size: 8GB
Single

Graphics

MSI Radeon HD 7870 Overclocked
Size: 2048MB
Core: 1050Mhz
Memory: 1200Mhz

Hard Disk

OCZ Technology 120GB SSD

Cooling system

Corsair Hydro Series H60 2013 Edition

Power Supply

OCZ 750W

Below I will attach a screenshot from Asrock program, it is most reliable source, shows same as BIOS. This is idle stage, nothing except for browser is running. 1 More thing, when I was cleaning the dust from the fans I could feel the pump was slightly warm, 1 pipe was super hot and the other pretty cold but I think this is how it should be, i can see pump running at 4800 speed so i think it's working, is it the faulty processor or i should focus on the cooling system, how to test it anyway? Thanks

http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/screenshooter-legacy/uf-czprccrnccbfuimnorgx.jpg

• 1 month later...

I have the same problem: temp on idle is 80°C, and when I play games like Battlefield 3, the CPU goes up to 105°C.

I'm using the Corsair Hydro H60, and I can confirm that there's one pipe pretty cold, and the other one quite hot, expecially near the CPU.

...and the CPU temp keeps on raising.

I'm using the MX-2 Thermal paste.

The H60 pump connector it's on the CPU_OPT, and the fan's is on the CPU_FAN connector.

Here are my specs:

Operating System

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1

CPU

Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.40GHz 81 °C

Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology

RAM

8,00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 668MHz (9-9-9-24)

Motherboard

ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. MAXIMUS V GENE (LGA1155) 37 °C

Graphics

S24B300 (1920x1080@60Hz)

Acer AL1715 (1280x1024@60Hz)

1023MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 (ASUStek Computer Inc) 56 °C

Storage

465GB Seagate ST500DM002-1BD142 (SATA) 36 °C

931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZRX-00L4HB0 (SATA) 33 °C

119GB Samsung SSD 840 PRO Series ATA Device (SSD) 35 °C

Thank you in advance for your help.

• 4 years later...
I'm having the same exact issue. Did you ever get it resolved? If so, how?

Every one of these is a bit unique and could be one of several things. You need to spell out specifics. The easiest thing is to try and separate the coolant temp from the CPU temperature. However, since the H60 does not have a direct coolant temp probe, we have to estimate using some basic observation.

The classic sign of a failing cooling system is a CPU temp that steadily rises (you could count along with it... 35C.. 40C...45C and up) as opposed to the a very jumpy and dynamic change 30..30..78..33...82.. etc. The easiest thing to do is power down the PC (or just put it to sleep) and let it sit for about an hour. That should give any heated coolant time to return to room temperature. Power on/wake, then watch the CPU temp. Is it continually escalates right in front of your eyes, there is a problem with the cooler. If it stays relatively low, but over the course of several hours rises 5-10C, that could be either a slowly developing problem or just normal case temp escalation that happen during the day (especially Summer). If you have already witnessed the CPU temp counting up at a measured rate, go to the next step.

Do you have a "fan reading" for the pump in the BIOS or any other monitoring software. The H60 should read between 4000-4400 rpm. Nothing else in your system will be that fast. If the speed is low, double check the fan control setting for the header powering the H60. It should be set to 100% or "disabled". The pump needs a full 12v to run.

If your pump speed is 0, you've double checked the fan controls, and the temps are still shooting up, contact Corsair tech support through the ticket system to set up an exchange.

I'm having a similar issue. Seems a lot of people have this type of problem with the H60.

My old Kuhler liquid cooling setup had the pump crap out on me, and since I was on a budget at the time, I went with the Corsair H60. Now my computer won't shut down from high overheating temps, but it does idle at 50-70C, and with just Fortnite running, and maybe a google Chrome blank tab open, it gradually rises up to 90C-100C.

I took the computer apart completely and cleaned as much dust out of the components and fans as possible, added a second fan (low voltage) to the back of the radiator, and switched up all my fan directions a little.

That seemed to have lowered my load temps with Fortnite to 80C-94C, but I still feel that's too high and will damage my hardware over time.

Also, one of my GPUs will hit 93C-97C, but the other will stay around 60C. I understand the difference is normal for the top card, but that's still way too high imo.

The H60 is only about 3 months old at this point, so it COULD be a defective part, but unlikely.

Under my BIOS settings, I don't see exactly what you were talking about to control pump speed. What are methods to confirm my pump is getting full 12v? I'm fairly certain I saw 12v to the pump somewhere, but I can't remember exactly where I saw that.

I don't OC anything or stress the computer out enough to be having these temp problems. I've been through BIOS settings and fan settings, etc. numerous times and can't seem to get to safe temps. Any help is greatly appreciated.

My relevant hardware is as followed:

Core i7 970

Corsair H60

2x GTX 670 SLI

800w EVGA gold PSU

EVGA x58 FTW3 mobo

5 total fans all functioning properly

EDIT: One fan speed on Open Hardware Manager reads 4000rpm and the other ~2000rpm (under CPU fans)

If one of your GPUs is hitting 93-97C, you've got issues beyond the cooler. Keep in mind that heat is getting dumped into the case. If your cooler is configured as exhaust, that hot air is going right through your cooler ... and that's likely heating up the liquid rather than cooling it down. As the liquid rises, so will the CPU temperature.

You need to manage the overall cooling and airflow in your case. Or get a current model GPU ... a GTX 1060 would likely outperform your current setup and generate a lot less heat.

Ibut it does idle at 50-70C, and with just Fortnite running, and maybe a google Chrome blank tab open, it gradually rises up to 90C-100C.

This part reads like a classic failing pump or blocked flow with the high idle and steady rise. However, as Dev mentioned, your GPU temps are solar-esque and can make the interior case 45-55C, which would then in turn make everything in the case 45-55C as a base. Make sure you are evaluating in a non-heated stated.

I wish I could remember what the X58 BIOS versions all looked like, but all I can see is the blue screen and green cursor from my own at that time. You can follow the pump wire back to a specific motherboard header, read the tiny label, then check the BIOS for that header. Probably a lot easier to go into the BIOS and see which one of your fan headers is running a 4000 rpm plus. Should be just the one. If I had to guess, I think you will either have to enter a manual 100% or "disable" the fan control for the pump header. Really need someone who had a EVGA from that era who can remember.

That's actually the exact GPU I'm looking at purchasing soon lol.

I completely overlooked the fact that the GPU getting that hot is dumping the heat right into the radiator, increasing the liquid temps. And with two GPUs, I can imagine they produce enough heat to be causing my overall problem, especially since they're pretty old now.

Do you really think the 1060 will produce a significantly less amount of heat compared to my current setup? If so, I'm about to go purchase the 1060 today.

Also, thank you so much for that quick and helpful answer! I feel stupid I thought about every possibility except that. I was on the thought process that the cooler was my issue and ignored the GPU almost entirely.

Yes, I think it absolutely will reduce the total heat in the system. You might want to look at your overall system airflow while you're at it. Can you perhaps dig up which Azza case you have and what your current fan situation looks like?

[Note: I do have a system in an Azza case, totally regret getting that thing; the airflow in it is awful. That said, that may not be the same for you.]

I'll try to find the model for the Azza case. Didn't see it the other day when I had it all apart though, tried looking for it. Doesn't seem to have horrible airflow though.

Went ahead and bought the GTX 1060 yesterday, and it did help my GPU temps overall, obviously. (Around 36C idle and ~75-80C under load)

But my CPU temps are still reaching 90C-98C. Going to try to manage the pump settings after work today.

Under OpenHardware Manager, do the voltages under CPU fans correlate at all with the pump? Because they are pretty low

I'll try to find the model for the Azza case. Didn't see it the other day when I had it all apart though, tried looking for it. Doesn't seem to have horrible airflow though.

Went ahead and bought the GTX 1060 yesterday, and it did help my GPU temps overall, obviously. (Around 36C idle and ~75-80C under load)

But my CPU temps are still reaching 90C-98C. Going to try to manage the pump settings after work today.

Under OpenHardware Manager, do the voltages under CPU fans correlate at all with the pump? Because they are pretty low

Can you post a picture?

OK, there we go. In that screen, we can see the pump is running full (43xx rpm), the fan is moving at good clip (1800), your Vcore is unloaded, and your temps are unnaturally high. That low power idle state in the 40-60C range suggests the coolant is not moving around as it should. Sometimes people notice the exhaust off the radiator is cool, although that depends on where the blockage is sitting. This H60 needs to be replaced.

Contact Corsair Tech Support through the Ticket System in the menu bar at the top of this page. Make sure that screen shot is in there and explain this is in a low power idle, state.

https://imgur.com/a/FioCwwL

Crappy pic but this is the case

The exhaust off the radiator (out the rear of the case) is definitely very cool and not warm at all.

Thanks so much for your help!! I really appreciate the quick and helpful replies. I've been racking my brain and doing tons of googling but couldn't find much about this specific scenario.

I'll contact Corsair Tech Support tonight and see what we can work out.

Will keep ya posted, hopefully this post can help others too. I always think "I just bought this, the chance that I'm getting a defective part is slim" every time something like this happens.

Hi guys, I replied to the thread in 2014, and I’ve managed to fix the issue about the failing H60.

I sold my whole setup with a notice about that piece of..... CPU cooler, and i lived happily ever after.

So, if you want an advice, ask Corsair for replace or sell it to a PC shop that will take care of it. Don’t waste your time for a low entry compoment.

Opened a ticket and after sending every picture they ask for and invoices, etc., they are still charging me %130 of the products value temporarily until they receive my defective unit. He explained why the additional charge is necessary, but my problem is that this was a defective product from the purchase date. I have sent them more than enough information to validate the product and they don’t seem to value their customers at this point, just their own money. I also understand they have to do that as a company, but this is just too much. They’re really putting me through hoops for me to receive a working $60 item that THEY were at fault for in the first place... I’m not the type of person that gets this way at ALL. I always try to be as reasonable as possible, even when I shouldn’t. This is just ridiculous.

Archived