Corsair Community

Please Help decide on Dominator Platinum DDR4

eddieblade21

this is a great forum, and was hoping someone can help me decide what memory I should use for my setup

I am leaning towards the Corsair Dominator CMD16GX4M4B3600C18

My setup is:

Asus Maximus ix Hero

Asus Geforce GTX Strix 1080 Ti

Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake 4.2

Corsair Case 570X

Corsair H100i V2

Corsair RM750x

HyperX Savage 480GB

WD Black Perf. 2TB

I was also wondering if I really need to use the dominator airflow platinum led fan, I am also willing to use 3200MHz memory sticks?

Please Help

Eddie

The use of the Airflow fan is optional.

However the CMD16GX4M4B3600C18 are one of the early 2015 models that were originally designed for X99. I would instead consider something more recent, like the CMD16GX4M2B3200C14 for DDR4-3200 or the CMD16GX4M2B3733C17 if you prefer a higher frequency model (both are 2x8GB kits).

Hi emissary42

Thank you for he quick reply, that what I was afraid of. Friend of mine wanted to sell them to me.

I am looking for a good memory but I need 4x4gb.

What is your opinion on these CMD16GX4M4B3200C16-ROG and do you recommend only using 2 sticks versus 4?

Thank you so so much

Eddie

The CMD16GX4M4B3200C16-ROG are another one of the older kits, this time from the Z170 days. Why do you need 4x4GB? What advantage do you expect from it over 2x8GB?

The kits i suggested make use of a very specific IC type with very good overclocking potential. Both of them should be able to max out your IMC/board with manual settings. The Maximus IX models also have memory OC presets for them built in. So my recommendation was also based on that.

I own a set of Dominator Special Edition Torque myself and are very happy with their performance on my Maximus IX Apex. They have similar specs to the CMD16GX4M2B3200C14, but are a bit pricier and the look is probably not for everyone xD

Hi

Makes total sense, the only reason for the 4 were only for aesthetic look I also purchased the upgraded bar kit for the dominator platinum

I promise one more question and that’s it’s i am going to

Take your recommendation and buy 2 sticks (which makes total sense ) over 4 sticks can I upgrade in the future and buy another 2 sticks or will I need to buy 4 new sticks

I read somewhere you should never buy 2 different lots of memory cards? But again it’s the internet you can’t believe everything you read hahaha.

Thank you

Eddie

In general Corsair like most other manufacturers recommends getting a single kit of the chosen overall capacity over mixing kits. This way you dodge the potential risk for compatibility issues from running a mixed configuration, that can occur even with two kits of the same type.

There are some very nice 4x8GB quad kits like the CMD32GX4M4C3200C14T or CMD32GX4M4B3600C16 available, but you would obviously need a deeper wallet for one of those vs only 4x4GB.

Thank you so so much

You learn new things everyday, didn’t even realize they were designed memory sticks per 200 series

I’m glad I came here

I am ordering the CMD16GX4M2B3733C17 I like these and in the future if I upgrade to 32gb I will sell these and by a 4x8gb

I can’t thank you enough

Eddie

Archived