Corsair Community

VS1GBKIT400 + VS1GB400C3 Problem

Sto

Hi, Ive just got a new gig of VS1GB400C3 to run on my pc next to my VS1GBKIT400 stuff but whenever i bootup it still say's theres only 1 gig in the motherboard, is there a problem with using these together, is there a way to make them both work?

The different CAS timings may have something to do with this. You see, your VS1GBKIT400 is rated at CAS 2.5 (2.5-3-3-8, to be exact), while your VS1GB400C3 (as the model number says) is rated at CAS 3 (could be either 3-3-3-8 or 3-4-4-8) - all of which are programmed into their SPDs. The mixed SPD-programmed timings have fooled your particular BIOS, in this particular case.

It's much better to use the same timings on all of your Value Select sticks. This means that if you want 2GB of memory for your AMD Socket 754 platform, you're better off getting two VS1GB400C3 modules or one VS1GB400C3 module plus one VS1GBKIT400C3 pair.

Note that the memory speed will default to 166MHz/DDR333 with more than three rows of memory due to the limitations of your processor's memory controller - and you will have four or six rows of memory in your system with my suggestions. And while you may be able to get a 200MHz/DDR400 memory speed with two double-sided modules in your system by manually overriding the autodetected memory speed, you will have to set the command rate to 2T in order for your system to run stably in such a circumstance. But with all three memory slots filled with double-sided modules, you will not be able to run your memory any faster than 166MHz/DDR333 no matter what.

Archived