Corsair Community

Flash Voyager GT 16 GB recognized but not working

phph

2 weeks ago i inserted the flash drive in a usb port and the autoplay didn't work. Well, that happens some times. The problem was that in my computer it was recognized as "removable disk E:" instead of CORSAIR and when i tried to double click it, I got the message "Insert a disk in drive E:". I could not access the drive. I tested it with other usb ports of the same computer and with other computers. Sometimes it was recognized by the new hardware wizard as a CORSAIR usb drive and some times as a 2238 PRAM usb drive. In the first case it was working perfectly but in the second no.

It had this behavior for a few days and then everything was normal again until today. Today it does not works with any usb port on any computer. It is recognized (i see the green icon for safe remove) but I can not access the files or format it. The sdfv2000 does not even finds it.

What should I do?

Update: Today the flash drive worked. I got a backup and formatted it with SDFormatter. After the format I tried to use it, but the Windows XP said that the drive was unformated and offered to format it. I tried again with SDFormatter with the same result and finally I formated it from windows. In the end I got the message that windows cannot format the drive.

After that I removed the flash drive and insert it again. This time it did not work. It was recognized as always but windows explorer said that there is no disk in drive E:.

Any ideas?

I do not remember, but I suppose I tried to access it immediatetly and when I found it was not working, I removed it and then re-insert it.

Anyway I do not think it does matter. A few days later the drive worked again and I formatted it with SDFormatter again. This time everything went ok and I was able to access it (read, write etc) but only until I removed it and re-insert it.

I tend to believe that something is loose inside it and every time I push/pull it to insert/remove it, its behavior changes. It is usually recognised as removable disk E:, the blue light is steady on and I get the message "Insert a disk in drive E:" when I try to access it. Sometimes it is not recognized at all (the blue light is off). Sometimes it works correctly. It is recognized as CORSAIR (E:), that is the volume name I gave to it, and the blue light blinks as autoplay works.

Ok, but I have 2 questions

1. What if the flash drive works when your technicians recieve it? Will they investigate it further or they will consider it as a false RMA?

2. The flash drive is a replacement of a drive I bought 3 year ago (case #1856779, RMA #1205763). The original lasted 2.5 years but the replacement just a little more than 6 months. What happens in such cases? I mean it is good to have 10 years warranty and RMA works good, but shipping costs from Greece to Netherlands is not cheap.

Thanks for your answers.

• 4 months later...

I know it is an old thread but, I have the same problem with the replacement I recieved. This time the drive lasted less than 4 months.

In one of my previous posts I wrote:

I tend to believe that something is loose inside it and every time I push/pull it to insert/remove it, its behavior changes. It is usually recognised as removable disk E:, the blue light is steady on and I get the message "Insert a disk in drive E:" when I try to access it. Sometimes it is not recognized at all (the blue light is off). Sometimes it works correctly. It is recognized as CORSAIR (E:), that is the volume name I gave to it, and the blue light blinks as autoplay works.

Now I am almost sure about that. Every time it fails to be recognised correctly, I remove it, I bend it a little, I reinsert it and then it works. I do not know how many times this trick will work, but I was able to take a backup.

I know that I can ask for a replacement and I know that I can ask from your customer service to take care the shipping cost, but what is the point if the new one has the same problem? It is not only the fuss for the RMA procedure, but the risk of losing data in the future.

So I want to ask if this is a known problem and if anything has changed to the design of the product to be solved.

Archived