Corsair Community

H100i v2 high temps hitting 90-100s on I7 8700k

mondenath

Hi Guys

I came from i7 2600 non k which was peaking 82 max average 55 and hits 79 max.

I am now with i7 8700k which is so hot even on the default setttings the vcore hitting 1.4v easily and it hits 100 instantly when i do the cinebench or any other cpu load test. i am worried.

Only drawback is i cant fit the h100I in my corsair 400r case perfectly . the top left fan cant be close enough to radiator which was managed on my z68 board. But now z370-e is so spiky. The fan in the left can only fit the first half . i cant screen in 2nd half of the fan into radiator. No headroom

I had a thought of changing the case . I am still looking if air cooler is best or h100i is suffice if the cooler is fitted properly. I cant push any further.

I had to turn of mce and set the voltage to 1.26 so that the temps idle 37-43 and average 55-69 at load .

peaking 85-89 at times . I set the clock to 45 ie 4.5ghz.

It fast and fine till i figure out what is the best . As i have seen the auto tuning set the clock to 5.0ghz which shoots 95-100 most of the time even idle 70+

I believe those times the cooler was not sitted properly. so i now ensured the cooler is fine. Only thing is one of the fans cant be fitted with case. I cant even try fitting inf the front as only 240mm ie half will fit it rest wont screen in at all.

I need help with best case than can fit the h100i v2 and even 280mm radiator in future with maximum clearance. I know the full tower a way to go. but i dont have space or budget to crush in such a amount.

I can invest well in good case provided the cpu is worth to save with coolest temps as possible.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think this is a cooler issue. Even if you disconnect a fan or remove it entirely, the difference would be a matter of single digits. When you are hitting 85C+, that is voltage. You can measure the cooler's effect by looking at the H100i Temp in Link. If that value goes up +6C. then there are only 6 degrees you can remove with any type of cooler, fans, or fan speed. If I lock my H115i Pro fans in at 600 rpm, my 5.0 GHz 8700K will not overheat or come anywhere close.

Most likely you need some more BIOS configuring. The Z270 and 370 boards are a little tricky. If you have not already, read the Asus guide for 270. Most of the same thing apply.

Next, as you have already seen MCE is not your friend. Disable it. The temps you saw were normal and proof the cooler is working. You did not go back up to 95C because you overclocked. You went up that high because other BIOS settings kicked in and made the Vcore go too high again. For now, fastest and most secure way to overclock is to set a manual voltage and then enable C-states and Speed shift. This will keep the power usage down in idle without compromising the system.

You also need to set the LLC load. For 5.0, you will need LLC 5 or 6. I need 6 for 1.30v and my 50 multiplier.

This can be done with adaptive and a few more steps, but it is better to find your clocks and voltage on manual first. I am not sure how much better adaptive is now with the speed shift tech. Best I can measure is about 10W at idle.

So will changing the case with better airflow works well. I am up for it now ordered the below case

thermaltake x71 core edition. Planning for push pull and will see the cooling is better

later this year will get a latest cooler . For now i am fine with 4.5 even. or 4.8 max.

I need under 70 for loads not more than tha even peak has to be 80 max any core i mean.

Better case airflow, a larger cooler, or different fan types make small and subtle differences. When you need to loose 10-15C,then getting control of the voltage is the only way. The new case will be nice regardless, but the critical piece of information right now is your maximum Vcore when under load. Not what you get in the BIOS (that matters too), but also what a monitoring program shows as the real peak value. This is a common issue on 8700K and Z370.

A friend of mine whom i help to setup a similar build with maximus x code board and some better ram from corsair with 3200mhz

he is running cool say 33-37 idle and max he said me on Aid 64 was 83 not more than that. I believe the package peak was 86-89 . But cores were under 83

All i was expecting his temps. I agree his ambient is cooler than mine. Which i eventually cant control. To the best case i can change the case to biggest with mamoth spacing so that no devices are constricting the air flow.

One thing i felt is that Since the fan in the rear is not perfect fit and only top two screwes are fitted the air leakage is causing the far end of the radiator to be not cooled enough causing the peak jump of say 43- 66 and then back to 41 instantly all these jumps were like 1-2 sec time frame.

i guess if the h100 was fitted well it should keep under 85 degree under load ie full cinebench or any load

For you info the current voltage even if i set to 1.24v with core set to 44 and mce off is still peaking 1.3v at times in Hwinfo. But the asus suite 3 never tell me more than 1.256 where is set to 1.24

Anyway i should also poin that i recently have to remove the rear fan. As after cleaning it the bearing started motor sound which is so annoying and now i managed to fit it .

Before removed rear fan the avg temps were 49-59

After fitting the rear fan the avg temps was now 39-44 IDLE not cpu intensive load.

even with 4.3ghz 1.24v the temps was hitting 89 degree in hwinfo But the asus still says 81 max.

Not sure which is true.

yeah a case change with ample airflow should make some difference. I will update next week once the case arrived and all fitted.

Now after changing the case and fitting the fans properly now the temps are normal i believe for 4.4ghz but at 1.4v the temps are still hitting 90+

I believe this radiator or even 360 radiator ie 150i pro cant hold that much heat i guess.

is there any benifit on running push pull . I have ordered sp120 fans but the rpms are 1650 max. But the stock cooler fan can reach 2700rpm or 2450+10%

I dont know if lower rpm is put to pull can it do effectively or it blocks the air. Or when pushing across the radiator the force is reduced even though its pressure optimized so 1600 rpm wont be blocking the flow when pulling .

corsair.PNG.3851d53211720cd7e632bf4645fff46d.PNG

1323447343_CINEBENCHTESTMAX81-OLD99.PNG.c3569b89b0dad14c1449da8ad08c79ba.PNG

hwmonitor.PNG.5cffef44392fbceba6498eff3335471c.PNG

Hi I am setting it to manual

Not adaptive

I am afraid to oc . As the temps are hitting easily 90+ even on coolest ambient of 20 degree

i cant control the voltage to stay put some thing is messing with voltage

Is that SVID is capable of changing the voltage

I dont want temps more than 80 degree max 85 under full load let it be aid64 or cinebench or even prime 95 . It should be under 85 degree max. As not every apps like these load the cpu to the core. such as for gpu the furmark.

let me know what else you need

these are my setting

1. XMP profile - ON

2. ram- 2800mhz

3. avx -0

4. core- auto

cpu-core- manual .1256

llc- auto

svid- disabled

For now it is sticking to 4.3

if i enable svid only i can see the hwmonitor shows the fluctuaitons in real time . I dont want it to clock always say 4.3+

i want is if loaded it should hit the defined speed of 4.8 or 5 which ever but under 85 deg max and 1.35 max with near 1.37 . Not 1.4 at all.

Yup, this why setting up the Z270/370 platforms is tricky. There are a lot of settings that override others.

Advanced BIOS -> AI Tweaker/Extreme Tweaker column > tuning=XMP.

At the top should be SVID Behavior with a drop down menu that includes (Default/Worst Case/Typical/Best Case). Select Best Case for now. Asus Multicore-enhancement (MCE) is just below that. You must disable it. This can override all your other settings. If you want 4.7GHz, set the multiplier to 47 with appropriate voltage. Do not let the board decide for you. If you are peaking out at 4300MHz, you likely already have done this properly. Further down in the standard SVID setting (AUTO/Enabled/disabled). Typically you would disable it for overclocking, but in my use you can leave it on Auto so apps can see voltage figures and it will not go crazy with the voltage, even on adaptive.

I suspect the LLC setting is what's throwing things into high gear. Traditionally, the Auto setting does drop off, but then ramps up to max way too easily. I believe you also have manual 1-7 settings, like mine. I use LLC 6 for 5.0. If I gave it more voltage I could use 5. I think an LLC or 4 is probably most appropriate for the 4.3 to 4.6 range.

One quick query.

So the xmp should hit 4.7 or we need to set to 4.7ghz

if 4.7 would there be flucutuations in frequency on underload or always 4.7. As setting 4.7 fix the freq and not down clock on say no gaming or endcoding or cpu intesive tasks

Which push the temps to 65+ and my h100i v2 water temps were 43degrees way higher.

now its is 32.4 with auto freq which hits 4.3ghz constantly with occasional drops of 10-15mhz

So setting best case will do the magic and llc-4 and do i need to set the power package to max 4095 ?

Single core max turbo frequency is 4.7. All core max is 4.3. That is where MCE screws things up by moving the all core max to 4.7 and then overcompensating with voltage. One thing that might affect this is whether you set your tuning to "per core" or all core sync below the multiplier. Given how jumpy this this thing is, I doubt you will ever get a true isolated single core moment, outside of weird programs. As such, I would set it to sync all cores and enter your chosen multiplier. That may be the last brick to seal this off.

You can set power to max duration 4095, but auto will also work. You only need to worry about that when really pushing the upper limits.

The VID is what the CPU is requesting. The Vcore further up, is what it is actually getting. Disabling SVID should stop that, although harmless on manual.

OK, now at home I can look at all the links. It all looks good to me.

If you want to make the VID number go away, set the CPU SVID Support to "Disabled". No more VID requests, but it will also hide some power usage numbers in HWMon/HWINFO -- if you are interested in those. At these settings, the actual Vcore should not be so wild. The VID is what it otherwise would do, if you took off the restraints.

So what do temps look like now?

Now that I can see your shots, there are a few terminology differences between the ROG and mainline Asus boards. The only one that caught my attention is "Power Saving & Performance Mode". I do not know how it behaves on Auto. It falls into a different place on ROG boards with a different name. It should be OK to leave it on Auto. If you are interested in cutting some power at idle, go into the Power Management control and change C-states from AUTO to enabled. That will create a large drop down menu for each C-state. Enable C1-C7s. That should allow manual voltage to almost climb down to same level as adaptive while sitting on the desktop.

If you want a 4.7GHz useful peak, then set the multiplier to 47 and sync all cores. I think 1.25v is enough for 4.7, but these things are certainly CPU specific. I did not spend much time at the stock settings, but I was never able to sustain any 4.7 speed with MCE off and per core tuning. More than 1 core is always active on a 8700K. You can also experiment with putting LLC back to Auto if the Vcore is under control. I have not had enough time to really pin down each level's behavior and that may be different on a Code vs an E board.

Okay got your points.

Here is quick query. Why is it hard to keep the current gen processor cool enough. Even 2nd gen were able to overclock at 4.7ghz ie my 17 and i5 2600k and 2500k below 80 degree.

I know there are 2 more cores . But over 7 years of R&D cant they keep the temps down.

Also i see lot of delidding this chip which drops 20 degree+ . It will void warranty and even processor might fail in the process.

So is this by chance the processor was not perfect manufactured with right thermal paste in it. I know metal cooling is better. Why did Intel didnt think about it.

We any how mod it most of the time. But for me only query is if 4.3ghz stock clock is generating 80 degree on stress test. I dont know how i can overclock and keep the temps under 85 degree on 5ghz

Does this h100i v2 is not suffice for this cpu. Do i need 280mm or 360mm radiator .

All i heard is that at 1.4v even custom loop cant cool enough with thickest raidatior as possible. But i was seeing a 150i pro corsair cooler in review managed to hold the cpu temps below 85 degree at 5ghz. I hit 93 easily on 4.7ghz itself due to peaking 1.4v even setting the 1.3v

All i heard is that at 1.4v even custom loop cant cool enough with thickest raidatior as possible. But i was seeing a 150i pro corsair cooler in review managed to hold the cpu temps below 85 degree at 5ghz. I hit 93 easily on 4.7ghz itself due to peaking 1.4v even setting the 1.3v

This is because they had the overclock dialed in and the voltages under control. And quite possibly a de-lidded processor. Your issue is more likely due to over-aggressive application of voltage by your motherboard's BIOS. Question: have you updated the BIOS at all? If not, doing so may help.

Delidding does absolutely help. It makes the heat transfer out of the cores and to the coldplate significantly more efficient. But you still need to keep the voltages under control.

Yes the day i setup the pc i updated the bios from net. Its 0612 for z370-e seems latest one.

I believe the current gen is more advanced and hard to control the volatage.

i have not even unlocked the over current/voltage pin/tab near cpu. Cant imagine if i do that what will it do to the processor.

seems the first gen of 6 core is hard to handle and maintain. It works only cool when ac - is on. Otherwise it jumps up and down in temps for now after changing the case it helps a bit.

Now the only concern is when a need for oc to 4.8 and above does this cooler can handle or i need a 360mm radiator .

Not sure if so much of heat is generated can any of AIO can do any magic. Or only custom loop can get it down.

I was wondering if there is any mechanism to have the liquid nitrogen to be in custom loop so that it always keeps the cpu in -100 degrees so even it hits 100 degree its 0 sub

I don't why manufacturers complicate the BIOS to the extent they do. Certainly a large part of that is an attempt to differentiate a relatively similar product from competitors and a belief consumers will make purchase decisions based on raw benchmark data instead of actual features. And so, you make your board default to higher frequencies than it should while piling on voltage to make sure it doesn't crash and the user tries to RMA the board.

As for the cooler, you need to take a look at the change in H100i v2 Temp (coolant temp) when under load. This is the measure of how effectively the system can dissipate heat. I see a maximum of around +6C on a 280mm radiator with my 8700K at 5.0/1.30v. This is the only value directly affected by the cooler. I also keep my fan speeds pinned down. I might be able to shave another 1-2C off, if I were willing to run the fans at 2000-3000 rpm. I am not and it is ridiculous to do so when my peak temps are in the low 50's with moderate fan speed. It is unlikely any cooler will make a difference of more than 1-2C for a CPU only load. There are other real usage reasons for specific sizes and overall case flow, but even a 120mm radiator can get rid of more wattage than the 8700K can produce. The real limitation is on the CPU side, both with the very much discusses Intel TIM process and the plain physical limitations of applying heat to one side and needing to conduct it through the CPU to remove it.

No, you can't use liquid nitrogen for prolonged periods nor would you want to. There are external devices that can help reduce the coolant temperature below room temp, but you are really reaching too far in the wrong direction. The place to attack the 8700K is at the CPU itself. Mine is delidded and it is ridiculously cool, even at 5.0GHz.

Archived