Corsair Community

Corsair Vengeance 12gb Kit on my Asus p6t deluxe motherboard with i7 920 C0 2.66ghz

madmaximus

Hi I have just gotten into overclocking and recently overclocked my system to 3.6-3.8ghz. I have attached my CPU-Z link. (might state mulitplier X12 due to spectrum spread being enabled.)

The problem I am having and from looking around it looks like others have similar issues. Is that my Corsair Vengeance 12gb (4x3gb) Kit on my Asus p6t deluxe v1 motherboard with i7 920 C0 2.66ghz (clocked to 3.8ghz) will only let me run my ram at 1400MHZ. If i try to change it to next one up i have a selection of 1700MHZ, I have changed DRAM from 1.5 to 1.64V and get it to run stable on 1400MHZ. I have updated my BIOS to latest available.

My problem is how can i now get my ram back to 1600MHZ or even better clock the ram.

Im not sure of most of settings and tend to leave most on AUTO

BLCK =181

Multiplier = AUTO (21)

DRAM = 1450MHZ

CPU VOLTAGE = 1.22v

QPI = AUTO

Im running DRAM timings on 8,8,8,24, im guessing that playing around in here can help me get my proper clock speeds or greater.

I have been playing and searching for a while now and cant really get any solid answers, If i leave it on default values it runs

BLCK 133

Mulitplier AUTO

DRAM = 1600

everything else on AUTO - but this leaves me with stock 2.66GHZ CPU

PAUL-PC.txt

When you start overclocking and playing with multipliers , sometimes you cant get an even 1600mhz as you found out. That 1600mhz is rated without an overclock.

I would suggest you look for guides on overclocking that are MB specific or even processor specific to help you learn what your BIOS setting do.

You can change your multilier to get closer to 1600mhz but you would sacrifice CPU overclok to do so. And as a general rule of thumb goes, you will get a greater performance boost from a higher CPU overclock vs higher memory overclocks.

You can find some really good guides on sites like oveclockers.net

• Corsair Employee
What happens if you load setup defaults and enable XMP with out over clocking the CPU? But that is not uncommon when you over clock the CPU you will not be able to set the memory to DDR1600 as that would over clock the memory beyond DDR1800 at those CPU settings.

when i set to defaults and use xmp profiles it default the CPU back to 2.66Ghz. But allows ram to go back to 1600Mhz 9,9,9,24 N2

there are 2 XMP profiles one for 1.2V and one for 1.35V

However just been playing ME3 and got BSOD. BUt was using the overclock of CPU 3.8GHz - have now reset it back to 3.6Ghz and hope this is a more stable setup

BLKC 175

Multiplier x21

DRAM 1400Mhz

CPU Voltage 1.22

QPI AUTO

DRAM V 1.64v

• Corsair Employee
I would check what Core of CPU you have and if its a (C0) stepping you can go to about 1.7 Volts on the QPI Voltage but if its a (D0) then the highest you can probably run the QPI voltage would be about 1.45 Volts, but to get higher on the memory at these CPU Speeds that is likely what you would have to do.

Hi Guys

Thanks for your responses. I had a troubling time rebooting this morning.

I set it load defaults and set everything to AUTO again.

From here i tweaked my settings slightly

I set the following

BLCK - 159

Multiplier AUTO (21)

DRAM - 1594

CPU Volt - AUTO (according to CPU-Z its is 1.24V)

QPI (AUTO)

DRAM VOlt - 1.64

this equates to overclock of 3.3GHZ with near enough 1600MHZ ram

I will probably go into BIOS again later and bring CPU Voltage down a fraction to 1.13v as it seems quite a minor over clock

I have left the Dram Timings on default (AUTO) and currently its running

9,9,9,24 1T

FSB:DRAM 2:10

so far so good - havent used prime95 yet but im working with all my desktop publishing programmes stable for 4hours.

I have attached current CPU-Z profile - which again shows mulitplier x12 due to cpu spread being enabled.

PAUL-PC.txt

Ur not gonna need this much qpi, 1.3-1.35 MAX. Point of higher qpi is when running 6x2gb sticks. More qpi is needed when all ram slots are full. Run 20x200 on ur cpu. Get it stable with ur ram at 1 multi lower, then raise ur ram to 1600mhz and set ur stock timings and 1.65v. Then raise ur qpi until stable it should be the only thing u have to touch.

Archived