Corsair Community

120GB Force 3 keeps disappearing in BIOS

takkischitt

Hi folks

I've got a 120GB Force 3 SSD (bought 21 November 2011, so out of warranty, I'd imagine?) and a couple of weeks ago I switched on my PC and it gave the message 'Reboot and select proper Boot Device'. I rebooted and entered the BIOS only to find that the Force 3 wasn't listed. I tired a couple more times with no luck, so I disconnected the SSD and reconnected it. When I booted into the BIOS again the Force 3 was back and I set it as 1st boot option and Windows started as normal. Since then this same issues has occurred pretty much every time I've turned on the PC. My motherboard BIOS is fully updated and, after checking on here, I have fully updated the SSD firmware, but I am still having the same issue, and it seems to be getting worse. Sometimes it now doesn't show after disconnecting and reconnecting the drive.

Also, twice while the PC has been running, everything has just frozen and one of the times I got a BSOD (first on Windows 10) and I had to switch the PC off by the case power switch. When I restarted, the SSD wasn't on the boot list again.

Is the SSD on it's way out? It may be 6 years old, but I'm definitely not a heavy user. Is this normal?

Thanks for your help.

It's likely time to replace the drive as you may risk losing data if the drive does fail.

You can try the drive on another computer and see whether it drops out, but considering SSDs are fairly affordable and likely with better tech compared to something from 2011, you may want to reconsider whether its worth keeping it.

It's hard to say that its normal based off the age and usage of the drive as electronics do eventually fail. Which is why backups are always recommended even if a drive is brand new.

It's likely time to replace the drive as you may risk losing data if the drive does fail.

You can try the drive on another computer and see whether it drops out, but considering SSDs are fairly affordable and likely with better tech compared to something from 2011, you may want to reconsider whether its worth keeping it.

It's hard to say that its normal based off the age and usage of the drive as electronics do eventually fail. Which is why backups are always recommended even if a drive is brand new.

Hi Toasted, thanks for the reply. Yeah, not particularly worried about data loss as I have a decent backup system going (I have learnt my lesson over the years!). This was my first ever SSD and has served me well, but I've never had an SSD fail or that's this long in the tooth, so just wasn't sure if this was the usual characteristics of an imminent failure, or if there was maybe something else at play that I should check out. I'll maybe get a new SSD and migrate Windows over before it does potentially die completely, and then I'll test the Force 3 in another computer and if it seems to be working well, I can just use it in another system and just blame the antics on my ASUS motherboard (I've had so many issues with ASUS motherboards in the past, I'll never fully trust them!)

Archived