Corsair Community

TW3X4G1333C9DHX compatibility with graphics card, mainboard, and vista x64

nsdownturn

Brand New Vista Ultimate 64 Setup runs incredibly slow

TW3X4G1333C9DHX compatibility with graphics card, mainboard, and vista x64

Hi Guys,

If anyone can Please Help!

I have just recently put together a brand new system.

At first boot everything seemed ok....

Mainboard recognised all the system memory, HDD’s, Processor .etc

So i proceeded to use the:

ICH10R AHCI/RAID Driver in the bios

To stripe my two 500gb disks and install Vista Ultimate x64

This is where my nightmare started......

At first installing vista seemed impossible, every time i got to the “extracting files” part of the install the system would hang at around 48%

After trying unsuccessfully a few times, i decided to try a few test installs, thinking that it could possibly be the striped drives I decided to try installing Vista x64 on each of the two drives uniquely with the same results.

Sometimes the system would just hang... othertimes the video output just cut off and the system seemed to be stuck in a loop with the HDD’s just making random noises.

Finally I decided to disable all of the onboard facilities (wireless LAN, sound, Ethernet.etc) restripe the two drives and pull out one of the memory modules so that I only had one module with 2GB of ram, also I thought that for memory compatibility I should update the BIOS to the latest Version (v1306)

“P5Q3 Deluxe/WiFi-AP @n BIOS V1306

Enhance the compatibility with certain memory.”

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=P5Q3%20Deluxe/WiFi-AP%20@n

As the description said.....

After a couple of freezes (same as above) and a couple more install attempts I finally got vista x64 to install.

Once installed and setup I was surprised (or perhaps not surprised by hassle I went through to get the OS installed) to find that the system took ages to do anything... boot (6 minutes), load user profile (2-3 minutes) internet explorer, windows media player .etc... basically seemed like I had installed Vista x64 on a 486 machine....

Although windows recognised all of my ram, and cpu.

So I thought that maybe it was a driver / update issue... so after hours of perseverance on an ultra slow (ridiculously slow) Vista x64 setup I finally managed to install my graphics drivers, all the BIOS and chip controllers from the ASUS driver disc, and the entire Vista x64 updates (critical and non critical)

After rebooting a couple of times I still did not experience any difference in the speed of operation...

Originally i have purchased this machine as a multi media player... currently if i put a DVD into the machine with windows media player it literally takes ages to load and then jumps every frame..

Eek!!

I then decided to do a little bit more testing on the RAM…....

I found a message board showing the manual settings for my RAM and board and tried this out:

http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=364707

Still with no success....

So now i have decided to find another HDD and install XP professional x32 to see if I have the same issues with that ...

So as it stands I just cannot figure it out....

Is my RAM incompatible with my Mainboard....?

Is my processor incompatible with my RAM?

Is my Operating System incompatible with the above (hopefully XP should determine this) which I shall post my result up here later on this afternoon....

If anyone here has any know how... or can just call me a complete clutz for buying the wrong kit .. then please let me know... any help would be greatly appreciated...

Many thanks for reading.... and thanks in advance for any replies.

Nathan Smith

UK

Friday, 12 September 2008

UPDATE

Hi guys,

I have now installed XP Professional x32 onto my system and have found that XP runs extremely faster....

Although I had the same problem with the system hanging.... also there was an error stating a memory write issue which needed a reboot....

Either way i have managed to get it installed....

The one thing that i have found is that when i try to install the graphics driver for the NVIDIA 8800 GT the display settings will only allow for 800 x 600 pixels at 4bits....

Weird as XPs own drivers will run the card at native resolutions and bit rates....

So now i have the issue as to whether its my graphics card, ram, or motherboard that are incompatible??

Please help...

Again many thanks

• Corsair Employee
Please make sure that you have the latest bios and load setup defaults and then set the memory Voltage to 1.8 Volts then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, and test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org to be sure one is not failing. If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Archived