Corsair Community

Corsair AX860i, does the power supply fried my GPU?

sblantipodi

As title.

Yesterday I was playing with my GTX980 Ti SLI using a Corsair AX860i.

At some point the PC shutdown abruptly and it restared, my Asus X99 mobo said that the PC was shutdown due to unstable PSU.

I don't identified the cause and continued playing, at some time I have seen some graphics artifacts when playing and the PC shut down.

At the restart the first GPU was dead, black screen and post error.

I removed the first card and leaved the second one one and the PC works ok.

It is clear that the first cards is dead but is the PSU the coulprit?

How can I know if I can replace my GPU and I don't need to replace even the PSU?

Thanks

Hi sblantipodi,

I would test the power supply. If the PSU tests good then the card failed and tripped a safety feature which would give you that error. If it tests bad then contact our customer support to see if it is still covered under warranty.

Hi sblantipodi,

I would test the power supply. If the PSU tests good then the card failed and tripped a safety feature which would give you that error. If it tests bad then contact our customer support to see if it is still covered under warranty.

do the test feature tests all the PSU features?

do I need to disconnect all the connected peripherals to do the test?

thanks.

Hi sblantipodi,

I think what he means is testing the psu by way of using a voltmeter. Not very difficult to do. Lots of videos on YouTube.

Just go for a cheap digital one.

In short, disconnect all HW from psu with the exception of a fan (plugged into a molex to give psu some resistance), then test all the voltages. Shouldn't take long.

Good Luck

I think what he means is testing the psu by way of using a voltmeter. Not very difficult to do. Lots of videos on YouTube.

Just go for a cheap digital one.

In short, disconnect all HW from psu with the exception of a fan (plugged into a molex to give psu some resistance), then test all the voltages. Shouldn't take long.

Good Luck

It doesn't seems an all round test.

• Administrators

Actually, he probably means the self test button on the PSU itself.

From the manual:

Self Test Switch

The power supply can be validated prior to system installation via a self test switch, which confirms all DC output voltage rails are present and the fan is functional.

Using the Self Test Feature

In order to use the self-test feature, please follow the steps below.

1. Connect the PSU to an AC power source, and flip the power indicator on the back of the PSU to the On position (I).
  2. Press the self-test button on the modular connector side of the PSU.
  3. If the button lights up green and the fan spins for a moment, you’re good to go!
  4. If the button lights up red or does not light up at all, please contact Corsair customer service for further technical support.

Archived