Corsair Community

Questions about fan capacity on commander pro

veloz

So about 2 weeks ago I bought a new case, a h150i pro, and a commander pro.

I connected fans as follows to the commander pro

3 fans push on AIO (stock fans for h150i pro) to channel one with a 3-way 4-pin cable splitter. (I think they should use less than .225 amp each one)

3 fans pull on AIO (ml 120 pro) to channel 2 with a 3-way 4-pin splitter cable

to channel 2

ml 140 pro to channel 3 (case fan)

ml 140 pro to channel 4 (case fan)

ml 140 pro to channel 5 (case fan)

channel 6 unused.

I think max draw should be like 2.5 amps for all these fans per online specs.

Max per channel (assuming max is the ml 120 pros with .225 draw per each fan) is .675 amp

Today I started up the system and it didn't go to full blast like it normally does then slow down. When i brought up corsair link to see what was happening it showed channel 2 bouncing at 300 rpm. If i put that channel on auto it bounced between 300 rpm and 20000 rpm more or less. If i put another fan on that channel (a single fan) it would work at more or less set rpms (which for the profile should have been like 800-900 at the temps I was at) If I moved the group of fans that was on channel 2 to 1 they worked fine. Likewise If i moved the group (3 with cable) from channel 1 to 2 they started acting crazy. I ended up moving all fans up one channel and skipping 2, and its all working again but channel 2 isn't working. Did it get burnt up somehow with 3 ml 120's on it?

It should have been fine but we've sometime seen some strange things when a splitter or (especially) hub is on the Commander Pro fan headers.

For reference, each fan header supports up to 1A (so you were good there) and a total of 4.5A for the entire CoPro.

I have the same exact issue as Veloz. I have push pull setup on a 150i, 3xML120 on top and bottom. The whole top set just stopped running. LINk software is showing 0 RPM. Tried setting it to max with no change. I will open the back of my 800D case tomorrow to check the wiring, but it's wired nicely.

Another other thoughts than just "we've seen strange things?"

TIA!

Dean

I have the same exact issue as Veloz. I have push pull setup on a 150i, 3xML120 on top and bottom. The whole top set just stopped running. LINk software is showing 0 RPM. Tried setting it to max with no change. I will open the back of my 800D case tomorrow to check the wiring, but it's wired nicely.

Another other thoughts than just "we've seen strange things?"

TIA!

Dean

So the fans aren't running at all? Are they connected to the H150i or are they connected to a Commander Pro? How are the splitters configured?

And, unfortunately, no other thoughts than "strange things". These are based on user reports on the forum; I, personally, haven't experienced these issues at all. And yes, I have several splitters on my CoPro. And on my H115i Pro. It may be due to the quality of the splitter? Strange wiring in the splitter? Something else entirely? Unless I can reproduce it and/or examine the wiring on one of the splitters, I have to leave it at "strange things".

I am cleaning off my desk right now to open up the 800D.

Now the other set of three is flickering and spinning up and down...and reading 330 rpm to 8879 rpm. Sounds great for $60 device and $150 in fans..

They are not connected to the H150i at all. I was going to run both triplets off the CPro, but I wan going to bottom set to the H150 and the top to the CPro. I hasn't used the LINk software before so I thought it was easier to do that way.

Amazon splitters I checked the cables before installing them. It all ran fine for a week plus before now too.

The CPro is taking a crap.

Fan Channels 1 & 2 and now completely dead.

I removed the three way splitters.

I placed my front and bottom intake fans on channel 6. the 1080 GTX push.pull on channel 5. Channel 4 is a 140 intake fan. Channel three is running the top set of 120MLs for the H150i.

Time to chat with Newegg for a replacement CPro.

Deanoe30 what was your final resolution,

me I was sent an additional cpro, it worked fine for a week, and the fan channel that had the 3 ml 120 pros (the retail one which is faster than the slower one which come with the h150i pro) died on me again. Whats odd if if the fans (both the slow set and the faster set) are truly the same minus the difference in rpm, you would think that If I set the same fan curve for all fans (the ml 140's i have as exaust top out at 1600 rpm too) then both sets would draw the same amperage, thus not overloading the channel. Even at max rpm those 3 fans should only draw .675 amps out of the 1 amp max. the 3 which came with the h150i pro have never given a problem on either cpro with the exact same wiring setup and same type of splitter.

I would be totally fine with controlling the 3 faster fans off of the h150i pros fan connectors, however for the life of me even when making a custom profile so that they max out at like 60-70% (to keep them around 1600 rpm) the 3 fans still run up to 2400 rpm. Would be great if you could share fan curves across the different components, that way I could only use 1 header for each fan....but as it stands now I think im just going to run 1 set of (3) fans on the h150i pro (controlled via the cpro) and the 3 exaust fans so that each have their own independent channel.

Hey i have red the thread and i think i have the same problem.

channel 1: sp 120 front of radiator push

channel 2: sp 120 front of radiator push

channel 3: sp 120 front of radiator push

channel 4: sp 120 back

channel 5: splitter to 2 ml 120 top

channel 6: splitter to 2 ml 120 back of radiator pull.

so it worked well a couple of days but then channel 5 and 6 began to ramp up and ramp down and some times it just don't start one of the fans or both of the fans on a splitter.

when i removed the splitters and put the top fans on the motherboard and separated the 2 ml's on channel 6 to 6 and 5 i have had no problems.

but it is a sour taste every time i want to optimize the fans and 2 of them is not in link.

Archived