The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Cases

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2018, 03:12 PM

POST ID # = 938886
Harakirimail Reputation: 10
Default Cases Without Window?

I have a Corsair 400R case I like a lot, so when I started thinking about a new machine, I looked at Corsair cases again, but now I see that there's been an unfortunate fad that's taken over that almost all Corsair cases have a window (an EMP hole as I like to think of it). I don't want a case with a window. (I'm assuming the window is glass or plastic and not transparent Aluminum from Star Trek that might provide electrical shielding.)

That means I'm stuck with a very small selection of Corsair cases, and nothing like the 400R. I need 240mm top radiator support, 2 external 5.25 bays, at least 2 internal 3.5 bays, and a side fan. What options are available in Corsair cases without a window for that?

Honestly, I don't understand these awful trends - like smart phones eliminating removable batteries and headset jacks. Can't Corsair sell different options for the side panel?

Old 02-03-2018, 08:08 PM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 938918
c-attack Reputation: 89

The 550D would seem to be an obvious candidate. You are swimming against the current. Most people no longer have need of the external 5.25 and door windows have become increasingly popular. It's not surprising there is less of what you are looking for, although I am not sure I'd put your comparisons in the same category. The cases would seem to be reactionary to market trends. I think that is different than what you know-who-is-doing. Corsair isn't selling you a unique "only fits in this case" stand-alone 5.25 drive holder and then charging you a premium to install it.

Old 02-03-2018, 10:44 PM
iCue βeta Team Green
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 938933
DevBiker Reputation: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-attack View Post
Most people no longer have need of the external 5.25 and door windows have become increasingly popular.
Yeah, and those of us odd ducks that want several 5.25 bays have fewer and fewer options to choose from.

Quote:
Corsair isn't selling you a unique "only fits in this case" stand-alone 5.25 drive holder and then charging you a premium to install it.
I am curious who is doing this. Ugh ...

This comment is provided "as-is", without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including, but not limited to, the sanity or mental fitness of the author. The author is not a Corsair employee, does not represent Corsair, and no comment should be construed as an official statement from Corsair.

Old 02-03-2018, 11:32 PM

POST ID # = 938935
Harakirimail Reputation: 10

Quote:
The 550D would seem to be an obvious candidate. You are swimming against the current. Most people no longer have need of the external 5.25 and door windows have become increasingly popular. It's not surprising there is less of what you are looking for, although I am not sure I'd put your comparisons in the same category. The cases would seem to be reactionary to market trends. I think that is different than what you know-who-is-doing. Corsair isn't selling you a unique "only fits in this case" stand-alone 5.25 drive holder and then charging you a premium to install it.
The 550D apparently isn't made any more. At least, none of the links from Corsair's "Find a Retailer" show any - the page for the 550D is either missing or says "out of stock" for each seller. So it appears to be out of production like the 400R. I did get excited for a moment, though, thinking there might be a solution.

So looks like everything in my old computer is pretty much worthless but the case, which has tripled in value! (By that I mean, I could buy a 400R if I wanted to pay $500 on Ebay. Uh, no thanks.) So why not just reuse the case? Well, there will be transition period so I can get the new system up, move apps over etc., so I don't want to lose the old system first.

Old 02-04-2018, 12:33 AM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 938940
c-attack Reputation: 89

Sorry, I didn’t realize the 550 had run its course. There never is a formal announcement. The only other one that might work is the 330R, but it is lacking the side fan mounts. This isn’t the type of case I normally look for, so I don’t have a ready list of alternatives. Surely someone else still makes something that fits those requirements.

Old 02-21-2018, 03:56 PM
pdegan2814's PC Specs

POST ID # = 941687
pdegan2814 Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harakirimail View Post
That means I'm stuck with a very small selection of Corsair cases, and nothing like the 400R. I need 240mm top radiator support, 2 external 5.25 bays, at least 2 internal 3.5 bays, and a side fan. What options are available in Corsair cases without a window for that?
Those are some specific needs. I get the drive bay requirements, if you use devices that need them. Why the specific need for a side fan?

The Carbide 600Q doesn't meet your exact requirements, but it might be worth looking at. It's got two 5.25" and two 3.5" drive bays. It doesn't have a side fan though, and being an inverted case the 240mm radiator mount that would be on the top is instead on the bottom. But it offers a good amount of cooling while keeping things very quiet, and is easy to work in.

Old 02-21-2018, 04:32 PM
DeaconFrost's PC Specs

POST ID # = 941692
DeaconFrost Reputation: 10

I'm not sure about the radiator, but what about the 200R or the 300R? They fit the other requirements.