The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Cases

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-03-2016, 01:14 PM

POST ID # = 877839
Scalptrash Reputation: 10

From what I am reading, the 250D is now obsolete. At least Corsair doesn't have any 240mm radiators that will fit properly in their current lineup. Due to the popularity of this case, I am surprised that COrsair hasn't released a v2 version of the 250D, that WILL accommodate their current lineup of 240mm radiators. The H100i is getting very difficult to find and is usually quite expensive now, due to it's rarity.
I was ready to build a 250D until I did a little research and discovered these issues. Corsair is making it very difficult to build a system using all Corsair components, unfortunately.
Modifying the case to make current radiators work is not a clean solution or what Corsair originally intended with the 250D. Corsair has dropped the ball here and their 250D literature and specs should be updated to clearly point out that only certain radiators work (no current models) w/o modification.

Old 11-03-2016, 01:38 PM

POST ID # = 877841
Doc. Caliban Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalptrash View Post
From what I am reading, the 250D is now obsolete. At least Corsair doesn't have any 240mm radiators that will fit properly in their current lineup. Due to the popularity of this case, I am surprised that COrsair hasn't released a v2 version of the 250D, that WILL accommodate their current lineup of 240mm radiators. The H100i is getting very difficult to find and is usually quite expensive now, due to it's rarity.
I was ready to build a 250D until I did a little research and discovered these issues. Corsair is making it very difficult to build a system using all Corsair components, unfortunately.
Modifying the case to make current radiators work is not a clean solution or what Corsair originally intended with the 250D. Corsair has dropped the ball here and their 250D literature and specs should be updated to clearly point out that only certain radiators work (no current models) w/o modification.
I agree that it is weird that they don't have a working combo.

However, I can't emphasise enough that the "modification" needed is as minimal as it gets. Mine has been build like this and hauld around for LAN parties for about a year now and there are zero problems. It's solid as a rock. It simply allows the radiator to cant a couple milimeters.

Best,

-Doc

Old 02-07-2018, 05:12 PM
moldyspore's PC Specs

POST ID # = 939603
moldyspore Reputation: 10

For anyone still dealing with this issue, here is a bit more detailed info:

The updated H100i (H100i v2) can be mounted in the 250D. Depending on your motherboard, you can even mount it the correct direction (hoses from front of case) and still fit in pretty much everything you'd need for a gaming build.

Install order: H100i v2, motherboard (with CPU and Memory already in place), power supply (cable route for the CPU power in the back right corner of the case and any additional power for hard drives), install hard drives/SATA SSDs, then videocard last.

1) The H100i v2 fits by not attaching the bottom 4 screws. There is a brace that is part of the case that the bottom 4 screws go into when installing the 240mm radiator. That piece is held on with 2 screws to the case. Remove the two screws and the brace.

2) Setup your H100i v2 for push configuration from inside the case (SP fans pushing air through radiator to outside of case) using the normal long screws.

3) Secure the radiator to the case along the top of the radiator using 4 of the normal short screws + small washers.

4) The H100i v2 will rest against the motherboard tray, but will be able to "flex" or "swing" a bit away from the motherboard tray.

5) Before installing the motherboard, take a moment to find some black electrical tape. Put a tiny piece (just enough to cover) over the top of each screw that is holding the fans in place along the bottom (closest to the motherboard tray). This will prevent any possible issue with the screws touching the motherboard. It is overkill, since the edge of every motherboard PCB does not contain any conductible material, but just in case this gives piece of mind.

6) Install the motherboard normally. The radiator will be able to flex a bit towards the outside of the case to allow for the motherboard install. After the mobo is secure, the screws from the fans along the bottom of the radiator should be just barely touch/possibly just barely not touching the edge of the motherboard PCB. Attach the H100i v2 to the CPU and you're good to go!

This mod allows for the installation of 2 x 80mm fans along the back of the case, since the H100i v2 can be mounted so the tubes come from the front of the case. One of the tubes will rest against the front fan (You will most likely not be able to install a 200mm fan, but the 140mm that comes with the case is fine and moves more than enough air) but will not flex enough to cause damage or concern.

There should be no concern about the radiator, it functions exactly the same whether it is mounted with 4 screws or 8. The slight angle it is on doesn't change the airflow or performance in the least.

Here are a few pictures for reference:

https://imgur.com/a/sypQK

My build specs:
Intel i5 8600K
G.Skill 16GB DDR4-2400
Asus ROG Strix Z370 ITX
Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD
Corsair H100i v2 240mm Water Cooler/Radiator
MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB (Yes, the 250D fits a PCI-E power connector that plugs in on the top of the card)

Last edited by moldyspore; 02-07-2018 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Clarification

Old 02-20-2018, 10:20 AM

POST ID # = 941487
PaulAm87 Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by moldyspore View Post
For anyone still dealing with this issue, here is a bit more detailed info:

The updated H100i (H100i v2) can be mounted in the 250D. Depending on your motherboard, you can even mount it the correct direction (hoses from front of case) and still fit in pretty much everything you'd need for a gaming build.

Install order: H100i v2, motherboard (with CPU and Memory already in place), power supply (cable route for the CPU power in the back right corner of the case and any additional power for hard drives), install hard drives/SATA SSDs, then videocard last.

1) The H100i v2 fits by not attaching the bottom 4 screws. There is a brace that is part of the case that the bottom 4 screws go into when installing the 240mm radiator. That piece is held on with 2 screws to the case. Remove the two screws and the brace.

2) Setup your H100i v2 for push configuration from inside the case (SP fans pushing air through radiator to outside of case) using the normal long screws.

3) Secure the radiator to the case along the top of the radiator using 4 of the normal short screws + small washers.

4) The H100i v2 will rest against the motherboard tray, but will be able to "flex" or "swing" a bit away from the motherboard tray.

5) Before installing the motherboard, take a moment to find some black electrical tape. Put a tiny piece (just enough to cover) over the top of each screw that is holding the fans in place along the bottom (closest to the motherboard tray). This will prevent any possible issue with the screws touching the motherboard. It is overkill, since the edge of every motherboard PCB does not contain any conductible material, but just in case this gives piece of mind.

6) Install the motherboard normally. The radiator will be able to flex a bit towards the outside of the case to allow for the motherboard install. After the mobo is secure, the screws from the fans along the bottom of the radiator should be just barely touch/possibly just barely not touching the edge of the motherboard PCB. Attach the H100i v2 to the CPU and you're good to go!

This mod allows for the installation of 2 x 80mm fans along the back of the case, since the H100i v2 can be mounted so the tubes come from the front of the case. One of the tubes will rest against the front fan (You will most likely not be able to install a 200mm fan, but the 140mm that comes with the case is fine and moves more than enough air) but will not flex enough to cause damage or concern.

There should be no concern about the radiator, it functions exactly the same whether it is mounted with 4 screws or 8. The slight angle it is on doesn't change the airflow or performance in the least.

Here are a few pictures for reference:

https://imgur.com/a/sypQK

My build specs:
Intel i5 8600K
G.Skill 16GB DDR4-2400
Asus ROG Strix Z370 ITX
Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD
Corsair H100i v2 240mm Water Cooler/Radiator
MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB (Yes, the 250D fits a PCI-E power connector that plugs in on the top of the card)
The only issue with that setup would be the loss of the optical drive, if you want to have an optical drive and a newer itx board the H100 wont really fit due to the 4 pin Mboard connection being in the top left near the I/O?

Old 03-03-2018, 01:19 AM
moldyspore's PC Specs

POST ID # = 943027
moldyspore Reputation: 10

As I mentioned at the bottom of my post, I'm using an Asus ROG Strix Z370 ITX, which is an 8th generation Intel board, so it is modern. I had no issues with the CPU power connection, it fed nicely through the back corner of the case and up to plug in. I even fed this up and through while the H100i v2 was installed. After the CPU power was in, then I installed the two rear 80mm fans.

Yes, you do lose the optical drive. So if you absolutely need to have one in your ITX build, you should look elsewhere. But honestly there are less and less reasons to include an optical drive in a computer. Don't even need it to install Windows and/or drivers anymore. The loss of the optical drive barely noticeable nowadays. In most other cases, even much newer ones and/or larger ones, that I've done ITX builds in I still wind up having to remove the optical bay cage if I want to include a 240/280mm radiator. So this isn't an issue exclusive to the 250D, despite its age.