Corsair Community

AX760 whine while system off and on

eshbop

Hi,

Several days ago I bought this PSU and after flipping the switch on the back of the unit before powering on the system was faced with a quiet annoying and distracting sequel (especially when trying to sleep). Part of the reason I bought this PSU was due to its fanless operation but this noise is much worse than the 'whoosh' of a fan.

After some testing I found that no matter what system I put it in, what wall socket, what I did to CPU power settings (which imho is not a fix) the sound would not go away. Turns out all that is needed for the sound to start is the 24pin plugged in. The sound is also present (although in a slightly different pitch) when the computer is on, both at idle and under load.

So I sent the unit back to where I bought it and they sent back a replacement, which has the exact same problem. I really like this PSU (apart from the whine obviously) and was wondering the commonality of this problem (it seems like a few people are having this issue with the new AX's), ie; if I send this unit back again, what are the chances of me getting another squealer? It's already cost me AU$250 (+$20 more if i send this one back) Or is it not worth my worry, should I just pick another PSU altogether? I don't really want to be spending $350 to find a PSU that doesn't keep me up at night...

Cheers for the help!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Corsair Employee
Did you get it replaced via our RMA process the first time? if not, I would have it replaced through our RMA and we'll make sure that the replacement will not have this issue. Once you have submitted the RMA request, post your case # here and I will make sure that we take care of any shipping expenses both ways.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I got a AX760i as a replacement yesterday. It has the same problem as the unit I sent for RMA. As this doesn't appear to be 'as common' in the AXi as with the AX I tested it more extensively than described in the 1st post. On top of what I did described in the 1st post I went to 2 friends houses and tried it in their systems (so far test with 1 Asrock, 2 Asus, 1 MSI & 1 Gigabyte board, all with different GPUs). The problem persists in all of systems. I would of probably put up with it but the new unit has a significantly louder whine (especially when the PC is off) compared to the 2 units I've sent back (also with a background clicking). Also, Corsair Link shows the PSU at only ~75% efficiency when at around 45% load. I know the software may be buggy or the readings off but ~15% deviance (given a typical inefficiency of around 90% at that load) seems a lot given review sites only show a 1-3% deviance from their own hardware testings of efficiency.

Assuming the RMA is accepted can I get the AX760 (non digital version) as a replacement? If it happens to have the same problem (and is no louder than the 1st 2 units I've sent for RMA) I think I'll just live with it.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, is there any update on this?

I got a message on 3/28 but nothing since.

"I saw your post and sorry to hear that. You have done the proper steps to make sure that it was indeed the PSU causing the noise. I will let customer service know that you would prefer the AX760 non i version and we'll go from there. Thanks"

Should I get a new RMA number or will the previous one (5691265) be used?

Thanks.

Did you get it replaced via our RMA process the first time? if not, I would have it replaced through our RMA and we'll make sure that the replacement will not have this issue. Once you have submitted the RMA request, post your case # here and I will make sure that we take care of any shipping expenses both ways.

WOW, i wish you made me that offer, the only reason i sent it back to Ebuyer.com was because it was in the 28 day peroid and they cover the first £10 (uk pounds) of the return postage, after paying out £150 on a psu another £25 plus to send it back to the neverlands was just a bit to much, but still nice to see someone getting very good customer service, glad i got Corsair now, even if mine did die in two hours off use :(

• Corsair Employee

I am sorry about that but you would have had to call our customer service by phone to work out the shipping but we will take care of the shipping if its less than 30 days old on any RMA.

eshbop

I answered you on another thread Please dont double post!

Archived