Corsair Community

Failed HDD

dangeruss13

I've had my 2TB HDD swapped out twice now. It seems as though every time I take out the 2TB drive for replacement the drive is fairly hot. I'm wondering if this is a design flaw in that the drive gets too hot and basically shuts itself off. I've tested this a few times. I pulled the drive out and plugged it into a usb drive caddy. The drive turns on and is recognized within Windows just fine. I then plug the drive back into the Corsair One and begin to play games. While the drive was originally recognized upon plugin within Windows, after 20 minutes the drive is no longer found within Windows Explorer. I again unplug the drive, let it cool down, plug it back into the USB and what do you know, recognized by Windows. The drive is plugged into it's original location, right next to the power supply. Swapping drives out with Corsair doesn't seem to fix the issue since i keep having a failed drive.

Anyone else seeing this?

• Corsair Employees
I've had my 2TB HDD swapped out twice now. It seems as though every time I take out the 2TB drive for replacement the drive is fairly hot. I'm wondering if this is a design flaw in that the drive gets too hot and basically shuts itself off. I've tested this a few times. I pulled the drive out and plugged it into a usb drive caddy. The drive turns on and is recognized within Windows just fine. I then plug the drive back into the Corsair One and begin to play games. While the drive was originally recognized upon plugin within Windows, after 20 minutes the drive is no longer found within Windows Explorer. I again unplug the drive, let it cool down, plug it back into the USB and what do you know, recognized by Windows. The drive is plugged into it's original location, right next to the power supply. Swapping drives out with Corsair doesn't seem to fix the issue since i keep having a failed drive.

Anyone else seeing this?

Shouldn’t be happening. Gaming shouldn’t tax so heavily on the HDD. Just to clarify, you’re talking about the drive that comes with the CORSAIR ONE originally right? Not a replacement.

• 5 weeks later...
Correct. This is the spindle HDD (2TB) drive that originally comes with the Corsair One. Since it was failing, and since I didn't want to send my entire computer into Corsair to just swap out a drive that takes 2 minutes to do, I went ahead and contacted Seagate and they swapped it out. Now, a month later, this drive is also failing. It'll now take forever to reboot or cold start. Once I take the drive out, everything goes back to normal. Not surprised that two drives are now failing... I'll no longer be putting a normal spindle drive inside the Corsair One.

Archived