Corsair Community

Corsair One and Ubuntu: overheating under load

nikitam

I have recently installed Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS on my new Corsain One Pro (see the thread http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=168371 ). It was quite simple, the only trick being that you have to add "nomodeset" option while booting the live installer from the USB and when booting the installed version of Ubuntu for the first time. This launches the system in some sort of a legacy graphics mode and allows you to update the NVidia drivers. WiFi and sound worked smoothly.

My plan was to use the system for some machine learning projects, hence the need for Ubuntu. In fact, Corsair One is a very attractive option for this type of applications given its cooling system. So I've installed CUDA toolkit and other necessary software without any issues...

But: the cooling system of my Corsair doesn't seem to adjust when PC is under heavy load in Ubuntu. Basically, I got the CPU up to 80C and the cooling still operates at its default settings. Of course, this completely forbids any kind of serious work in Ubuntu. And, while possible, machine learning on Windows is often much more problematic.

So my question is: is there a way to resolve this problem? I've tried using ld-sensors, but it doesn't detect the fans or the pumps in Corsair. After doing some further googling, I found out that this problem (missing control over water cooling) also exists for other Corsair coolers.

Ideally, a Corsair Link version for Linux would solve all these issues. But I would like to know what are the possible solutions now. For instance, can I adjust the pump & fan performance in BIOS?

I'd suggest seeing if you can run Win 10, perhaps in VM, and use Link to set all fans to 100% and then see if the setting survives a reboot. The system's pretty quiet even with all fans at full bore, though granted, it may use a little more energy, and run the parts harder...potentially resulting in a shorter lifespan.

If it can be set in VM but doesn't survive the reboot...and the VM doesn't need to be maintained once the fans are set...a scripted routine might be possible upon boot. It's a bit of a wonky work around, but...if it works...

Of course, Corsair might have better information, so perhaps use this as a last resort suggestion :)

• Corsair Employees
Corsair One is not designed to operate under non-Windows operating systems without the Corsair Link software. The Link software is needed to balance the fan against the CPU and GPU temperatures, and unfortunately we have no plans to add Linux support at this time. If you run in Linux, you do so at your own risk.

• 2 months later...

Would it be possible for Corsair to open source the code for The Link?

I can see someone is working on a Linux / Mac OS version here: https://github.com/audiohacked/OpenCorsairLink

While I do plan to use this machine for games etc, my primary OS is Ubuntu and it would be nice for Corsair to embrace Linux. It's cool how Dell has been doing Developer Editions etc... It would be great if Corsair keeps developers in mind as they start to enter the prebuilt market.

• 9 months later...
I can't ansnwer this directly but have a theoretical workround - You could create a Windows VM under linux and pass through the require IOMMU groups for the link software to work. It will consume resources but... better than nothing right?

• 1 year later...