Corsair Community

Possible burnt PCI-E cable on RM850 + other issues.

Chrunchyhobo

Hi all,

I'm having a large variety of issues with my rig that I have narrowed down to either one of my two Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti XTREME cards or my RM850 GOLD.

When running anything that causes high gpu load I get coil whine and one of the two pcie power connector leds flashes on my top gpu (indicating unstable power) and when sli is enabled all of the leds on my motherboard dim and flicker under high load.

Software voltage monitoring (HWinfo) shows +12v going as low as 11.304v (AFAIK is below ATX spec but it's software so idk).

With sli disabled the pcie power led still flashes but the mobo leds don't flicker and the +12v reading is around 11.5v.

Upon inspection of the top gpu and the pcie cable I noticed that one pin on the card looks slightly brown and three on the cable do too. Both cards are using one 8+8 pin cable each btw.

Bottom card is unharmed.

The psu might have an issue with its fan btw, as when it starts it seems to instantly go to max rpm and make a loud rattling noise like the stock H105 fans and then shut off again, instead of the gradual curve I expected.

• Corsair Employee

Hey Chrunchyhobo, the fan spinning up at boot is normal, it's just a quick fan test. But if you're hearing a rattling, that could be a problem with the fan itself.

In regards to the 12v, we only allow for a 5% discrepancy, so 11.4 is our low threshold. If it's going below that, it is a sign of concern for us. Coupled with the rattling fan, I'd say it's still worth reach out to support about it.

http://support.corsair.com

Hey Chrunchyhobo, the fan spinning up at boot is normal, it's just a quick fan test. But if you're hearing a rattling, that could be a problem with the fan itself.

In regards to the 12v, we only allow for a 5% discrepancy, so 11.4 is our low threshold. If it's going below that, it is a sign of concern for us. Coupled with the rattling fan, I'd say it's still worth reach out to support about it.

http://support.corsair.com

Thanks for the reply!

To clarify on the fan issue, I meant when it spins up after being under load for a while and/or heating up, not on boot. Never heard it on boot tbh.

Further inspection of the "burnt" cable shows three more brown pins on the side that plugs into the PSU, although the pins on the PSU are completely fine.

This cable also gets almost too hot to touch after the pc has been under load for a while, but cooler at the psu side, whilst the cable on the second card is much cooler.

I have ordered a HX1000i (amazon next day delivery FTW) and after I have swapped them out I will be finding my details for an RMA.

Archived