Corsair Community

CMX6GX3M3A1333C9 not working with Gigabyte x58-UD3r

broshiggie

System boots and seemed to be running fine. However after a while I started getting restarts as if I pulled the power plug. Exchanged the motherboard and same results. Thought it might be the chip (i7-950) and talked to intel to see if i could get one sent back under warranty. They told me the chip is specified to run at 1.575V and the RAM requires 1.65V. Sure enough I check the BIOS and my chip has a voltage setting of 1.575V.

Do I need to configure my bios in a special way to use this ram? Can I exchange this ram for a set that uses 1.575V? I asked the intel tech support if there are any chips which support 1.65V and he said no, they are all 1.575V. Why is this RAM marketed as i7 compatible when it's default settings cause crashes?

The CMX6GX3M3A1333C9 requires 1.5 V or per the label on the DIMM modules. Sometimes when RAM runs at higher frequencies than the OE specs, it requires higher voltage, typically 1.65 V for DDR3 RAM.

Your i7-950 CPU officially supports RAM frequencies of 800/1066 MHz. Running the RAM at a higher frequency than 1066 MHz. is overclocking and may require you to enable XMP and/or manually set BIOS options for it to run stable. Your mobo owner's manual should tell you how to make these settings.

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=37150

Archived