Corsair Community

H115i Pro/Ryzen 7 2700x temp high?

GWNewman1

Been hammering on my PC a bit more lately trying to sort out some memory problems (replaced my 32gb with 32gb of 3200Mhz, trying to get that sorted now). That said, I've been eyeing my CPU temps more lately and now trying to sort that too. Idle usage is about 10% with Chrome open, iCue uses most of that anyway, temp sits around 49-51C. Loading it will get me up into the high 60's, low 70's. Running Prime95 the other day got me up to 80. Down to 79 once I set the fans and pump to extreme - I usually leave it on balanced. I have the case fans set to just shy of 50% in the bios till the temps ramp up towards 70ish, then they hit full bore. Doesn't make much difference. Either the temps I'm seeing others with are in completely open cases or I'm doing something wrong here! PCH temp is 45C, motherboard sensor is 34C. Room temp is around 71, 72-ish.

Radiator is front mounted in pull config, one rear exhaust and 2 top intakes.

I don't know if this is motherboard specific, but on my asus strix x470-f it had an overclocking profile selected by default which caused similar temps to what you are reporting.

On my board the auto cpu voltage was way more than it needed (both on stock and overclock settings). It runs stable with a -0.125v offset. You might want to check that.

We need to know your coolant temperature range on the H115i Pro to differentiate a cooler issue from everything else. Coolant temp usually starts about +4-7C above room temp and might go +6-10C above that, depending on load and other case heat (GPU). If you are seeing coolant temps above 40C or idle coolant temps near that mark, there may be a problem.

I wound up adjusting the voltage on my Strix but didn’t do much. Still had issues with the memory too. Picked up a Crosshair VII today and swapped it out on a lark. Voltages are under control and was idling around 31C. Memtest is running now on the RGB Pro CL14 kit but so far no errors 91% into the 3rd pass, which is more than can be said for the Strix.

FWIW...my coolant temp was tapping 37C+ at one point even on extreme. Room is around 72F.

It does not appear to be a cooler issue. That would be present on both installs and your current coolant temps are right in the normal range. There is no way to tell from this end if you had a bad mount on the first board, settings off, or something more serious with the board. I guess if the first was throwing out mem test errors, then it could be the later.

It does not appear to be a cooler issue. That would be present on both installs and your current coolant temps are right in the normal range. There is no way to tell from this end if you had a bad mount on the first board, settings off, or something more serious with the board. I guess if the first was throwing out mem test errors, then it could be the later.

Passed the first round of memtest, running a second. I won't be able to see my coolant temps till I get it into Windows, but based on the core temp in the BIOS, I'd say it was a board issue - I'm idling with a vcore around 1.05v instead of 1.45-1.5V. I remounted that cooler 3x trying to sort out the temps while I was fooling with the memory (4 kits of Corsair memory, I might add - one LPX kit wouldn't even POST at 3200, out of 3x RGB Pro kits, one CL16 kit would POST but fail memtest, one CL16 kit was OK and the CL14 kit would pass one but fail another). I was getting supremely annoyed. Though when I pulled the Strix out, a random piece of plastic fell off the board and I haven't figured out where it came from yet, so I'm thinking just write that one off haha

So, performance boost enabled, idle temp is in the 40ish range, coolant temp was about 29C. Started a Prime95 run, coolant temps came up to about 37C within 5 minutes then slowed down around 38C. HWInfo reports 2 CPU temps - tctl @ 76C, tdie @ 66C, vCore is around 1.25/1.3 now instead of 1.4/1.5 as well. CPU starts out around 4Ghz, then drops to around 3.85, but I suspect that's another discussion on the Asus forum.

Your idle CPU temp still seems a little high ... but that may be normal for Ryzen. I'm not familiar enough with them to say for sure.

Having the coolant rise 8C in 5 minutes seems a bit much but if it hit steady state at 38C, you should be OK. How quickly did it drop when you stopped the load? What kind of fan curve do you have running?

+8C coolant isn't out of range and when you comparing a 1-2C difference between +6 and +8, things like fan speed, case environment, and the like are going to have some influence. It doesn't read like a cooler functionality difference. As long as the coolant temp drops 2-3C immediately at cessation of the test and then trickles down some more over the next several minutes, things are normal.

I don't know much about the AMD boards either, but I do know my Maximus Code X can't run Prime95 straight out of the box without throttling, which might be what happened in your run. On the Z370 platform, you need to adjust some power limit settings to enable the full bore testing. Likely the AMD boards from that time period are the same. Similar issues with Vcore and unexpected behavior at default settings. There were a lot of settings to change to enable the expected Vcore behavior. Again, I am afraid I can't narrow that down for AMD.

Your idle CPU temp still seems a little high ... but that may be normal for Ryzen. I'm not familiar enough with them to say for sure.

Having the coolant rise 8C in 5 minutes seems a bit much but if it hit steady state at 38C, you should be OK. How quickly did it drop when you stopped the load? What kind of fan curve do you have running?

Dropped fairly quick. CPU temp dropped like a stone too as soon as I killed the load. As for fans, I keep them quiet - about 50% (1K or so RPM) until CPU temp ramps up to something like 70C then they start to spin up pretty quick. In general, the fans never spin up unless I'm stress testing. My coolant temp almost never goes above 33-35C during normal usage, including the games I play. Coolant idle temp now sits around 29.3 - 30.5C since I swapped out the Strix for the Crosshair VII as well.

OK, I think that more or less narrows it down to BIOS settings and specific AMD CPU behavior. I don't know enough about that platform to advise you. Typically Asus has some power management tools you need to dial in to limit voltage overshoot, rein in VRM activity, and the like. Overclock guides for Asus VII series AMD platforms may be the best place to look for specific settings. The coolers functionality seems right in line with what's expected. Don't sweat the cooler settings too much. 200 rpm difference in fan speed might net you 1C, not the chunk you are looking for. That is all on the voltage side of the CPU.

OK, I think that more or less narrows it down to BIOS settings and specific AMD CPU behavior. I don't know enough about that platform to advise you. Typically Asus has some power management tools you need to dial in to limit voltage overshoot, rein in VRM activity, and the like. Overclock guides for Asus VII series AMD platforms may be the best place to look for specific settings. The coolers functionality seems right in line with what's expected. Don't sweat the cooler settings too much. 200 rpm difference in fan speed might net you 1C, not the chunk you are looking for. That is all on the voltage side of the CPU.

Been awhile since I've had an AMD setup so I'm having to relearn again. I know they run warm, but jeez. I guess I'm past the days where I can drop an i7 in there with a low profile cooler and it doesn't warm up haha. That said, I've seen a few whispers of others having issues with the Strix X470 - memory not working after time goes by, temp issues. I'll RMA it and keep it as a spare, leave the Crosshair in for now.

Been awhile since I've had an AMD setup so I'm having to relearn again. I know they run warm, but jeez. I guess I'm past the days where I can drop an i7 in there with a low profile cooler and it doesn't warm up haha. That said, I've seen a few whispers of others having issues with the Strix X470 - memory not working after time goes by, temp issues. I'll RMA it and keep it as a spare, leave the Crosshair in for now.

Since this thread started, I upgraded to a Threadripper - essentially 2 Ryzen 7 dies on a single chip. They do run a touch warmer than the Intels but, like the Intels, it's voltage dependent. The AMDs seem to have a higher baseline voltage and, therefore, a higher baseline temperature. The lowest that I've seen the voltage go is 1.32V, which would be an overclocked Intel.

Since this thread started, I upgraded to a Threadripper - essentially 2 Ryzen 7 dies on a single chip. They do run a touch warmer than the Intels but, like the Intels, it's voltage dependent. The AMDs seem to have a higher baseline voltage and, therefore, a higher baseline temperature. The lowest that I've seen the voltage go is 1.32V, which would be an overclocked Intel.

Sounds about right. Mine liked to hang out in the 1.45v area on the Strix. Hangs out down near 1.3 on the Crosshair. I've toyed around with setting it down to 1.25, which drops the temps down into the high 20's, low 30's at idle. Haven't stressed it at those voltages though.

Archived