Old 11-05-2018, 10:45 AM
iCue βeta Team Green
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 979055
DevBiker Reputation: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyAngel1990 View Post
What a mess, corsair had fun doing a closed system :-(
Corsair put together a system that is relatively plug and play and difficult for someone to mess up. You've decided to go outside that. You can't blame them for your desire to go off the beaten track. From a support perspective, it makes complete sense. People do dumb things regardless of how hard engineers work to prevent them from doing dumb things. "Build a more idiot proof system and they build a better idiot."

Example: even with different connectors, folks actually managed to blow out their Corsair stuff by plugging it into the motherboard's 12V connectors.

Now ... you've decided that you want to go off the beaten path. That's fine; there are those of us that have figured this stuff out and how it all works. They are standard LEDs. They are standard connectors. So it's all do-able and really not that difficult ... if you know what you are doing, understand a few basics about electricity and wiring and are willing to experiment and risk blowing out devices. Keep that last point in mind - you may well blow out a fuse or something else and you cannot hold Corsair responsible for that. I've blown out NoPros and Fan Hubs. Others have as well. That's the cost of experimentation. Don't want to take that risk? Stick with the system as designed.

Quote:
If it became too impossible I took two kits of strips only then I can use only 6 so even there it is not convenient.

Given the unified system and the software done so well it is really a pity that you can not easily connect non-proprietary strips.
See above. You can but it's not supposed to be easy. It can quickly become a support nightmare with customer satisfaction issues all over the place, even though it was the customer's own fault.

Quote:
Can I feed them externally and use only the LNP to control the colors?
The limit of 2.1A is for sinoglo connector sin or in total of the two?
You can, yes. And the limit is per header. The overall limit of 4.5A is due to the SATA connection.

This comment is provided "as-is", without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including, but not limited to, the sanity or mental fitness of the author. The author is not a Corsair employee, does not represent Corsair, and no comment should be construed as an official statement from Corsair.

Old 11-05-2018, 01:58 PM

POST ID # = 979072
CrazyAngel1990 Reputation: 10

I do not absolutely blame corsair for the closed system, even after it has released icue has surpassed the other producers to unimaginable levels given the comfort and the ecosystem.
it's just a shame to have so much potential but to be limited, I speak from the power of two completely corsair stations and would return to buy a thousand more times, I was only sorry for the big limit.

I am willing to try, I cable with links and everything, but I struggle to understand how to connect the wires, then I know that exaggerating with the A breakers and circuitry break, but if I could also put the strip on writing was too beautiful.

Thank you so much again for all the help you are giving me

Old 11-05-2018, 04:43 PM
iCue βeta Team Green
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 979093

The pinouts for the cables are pretty straigthforward. Pin 1 is +5V power, Pin 2 is Data Out and Pin 3 is Ground. Pin 1 is marked on the connectors with a triangle. If you look at the connector on the lighting channel, pin 1 is on the right. There's no reason why you couldn't crimp a Corsair/Molex connector on to the strips or, as many 3rd party strips have JST connectors, create a Corsair/Molex to JST cable.

You can also use a multimeter to make sure that you have it right.

A fire extinguisher shouldn't be necessary but keep an eye out for blue smoke. If that happens, something is miswired. And yes, I've done that. RIP NoPro.

This comment is provided "as-is", without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including, but not limited to, the sanity or mental fitness of the author. The author is not a Corsair employee, does not represent Corsair, and no comment should be construed as an official statement from Corsair.

Old 11-08-2018, 06:21 AM

POST ID # = 979429

So this is LPN

These are the LED strip cables

How should I make the connections that I did not understand anything?: Thinking:

I would like to cover 3m of desk, I can also make two strips of 1.5m to not be overloaded, but unfortunately I did not understand how I should do exactly
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181108_110223 (Copia).jpg (54.0 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 613avVOCvgL._SL1100_ (Copia).jpg (28.7 KB, 27 views)

Old 11-08-2018, 08:39 AM
iCue βeta Team Green
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 979438

You'll have to crimp a custom cable. And you'll need one that's long enough to reach or put the LNP "outside the box" and get SATA power to it.

You can get extensions for the Corsair cables here: https://www.ebay.com/str/piratedogtech. But you'd still have to make the adapter.

Last edited by DevBiker; 11-08-2018 at 08:44 AM.

Old 11-08-2018, 02:41 PM
SpeedyV's PC Specs

POST ID # = 979479
SpeedyV Reputation: 41

Hi. That picture you posted above was posted by me when I was wiring up generic 5V WS2812B addressable 5050 RGB LED Strips to my Commander Pro (CoPro) and Lighting Node Pros (NoPro).

As DevBiker said, the CoPro and NoPro LED ports have a current limit of ~2.0 Amps. The way around that is to not power the LEDs from the CoPro or the NoPro LED ports.

There are 3 connections to the LED strip - +5VDC, Data, and Ground. Normally, the +5VDC pin connects to the +5VDC power pin of the CoPro (or NoPro) LED port. The Data pin connects to the Data pin, and the Ground pin connects to the Ground pin. If you are not sure which is which , carefully measure between the LED port pins. When your DC volt meter says +5VDC, the black lead is on the Ground pin and the Red lead is on the +5VDC Power pin. The other pin is the Data pin.

To get around the current limitations of the CoPro / NoPro, do NOT connect the LED strip +5VDC Power pin to the CoPro /NoPro +5VDC Power pin. Instead, connect the LED strip +5VDC Power pin directly to your system power supply. If you use a "Peripheral" power output and a standard 4-pin Molex power connector, the current limit will be higher than the 2 Amps of the CoPro / NoPro.

Connect the LED Strip Data pin to the Data pin of the CoPro / NoPro LED Port. Then connect the Ground pin to the Ground pin of the CoPro / NoPro LED Port AND the Ground in the 4-pin Molex connector.

It sounds more complicated than it is. The idea is that the CoPro /NoPro only has to provide DATA to the LED strip. The LED ports do not have to supply the drive current to the LEDs. So you get the Data from the CoPro / NoPro but the +5VDC (and the LED drive current) comes directly from the system power supply. I hope this is making sense.

Then you are up against the limit imposed by the CoPro and NoPro firmware. IIRC, Corsair has arbitrarily limited this to 96 LEDs. That is because the worst case, in spec load is 6 x LL-series fans that have 16 LEDs each. 6x16=96 LEDs. This is why (I think) the firmware limit is 96.

Remember - measure twice and solder once.

Good luck!

edit to add - I see DevBiker has identified the pin locations on a CoPro / NoPro LED Port - Pin 1 is +5V power, Pin 2 is Data Out and Pin 3 is Ground. Pin 1 is marked on the connectors with a triangle. If you look at the connector on the lighting channel, pin 1 is on the right.

Use a multimeter to make sure that you have it right.

Last edited by SpeedyV; 11-08-2018 at 02:44 PM.

Old 11-11-2018, 03:40 PM

POST ID # = 979947

I'm beginning to understand.
So if I want to put a 6-meter strip that has 90led and the total consumption of 18watt I absorb 3.6A that I could take from a sata or molex?

Then the red and white strip cable is to give it power

instead the green and red comdani how do I connect them to the LNP?