Corsair Community

Is my H100i v2 dead?

bgunn925

I came home and my computer had restarted. It was on a BIOS-level warning page, stating that my CPU had overheated and it was now in some sort of BIOS-level safe mode. I hit F1 to proceed into the UEFI and my CPU was sitting at 87C.

The LED on the H100i v2 is off. The fans connected through it are not spinning.

I have checked the USB and fan header connections and everything seems normal. I have tried restarting the computer a couple times -- the issue is still persisting.

Is it dead? Any ideas to try?

You should get some kind of speed reading from the motherboard fan connector of the H100i v2. If it's plugged in to CPU Fan, that header is set to 100%/Full Speed/Disabled and there is no speed in the BIOS (or it doesn't see a device) and the lights are out, it probably means it suffered some sort of electrical failure. You need to RMA to pump and secure a short term or other permanent replacement.

You should get some kind of speed reading from the motherboard fan connector of the H100i v2. If it's plugged in to CPU Fan, that header is set to 100%/Full Speed/Disabled and there is no speed in the BIOS (or it doesn't see a device) and the lights are out, it probably means it suffered some sort of electrical failure. You need to RMA to pump and secure a short term or other permanent replacement.

It's connected to a Commander Pro. Thanks to your comment, I thought of checking to see if one of the CoPro fan headers went bad and, sure enough, that happened to be the case. I'll just slap a y-adapter on two of the fans and not use the bad port.

On a side note, this is the SECOND Commander Pro that's I've owned which has had a fan header randomly fail.

I suppose it’s possible the header failed, but historically it is far more likely to be the cooler. Obviously if there is no speed detected in the BIOS on any header (it should show half pump speed), then the H100i v2 is dead.

It was definitely a failed header. I just moved the AIO to a different one and it's running fine. This is the second time I've had a fan header randomly fail on a CoPro (two different CoPro's). I thought maybe having two LL120s + the pump on Extreme might have drawn too much current, but the last time the header failed it was for a single LL120

How have you been ruining the H100i v2? Fans on pump controller and all through the Commander Pro? Theoretically it should be below 1.0A and LL fans with motor power only don’t draw much current. However, I am not sure why you would set it up this way. Since you can’t control the H100i v2 like a fan, it is a waste of a C-Pro header. You can park that on any CHA, CPU, AIO/W_Pump header set to 100% and then still control fan and pump in Link/iCUE. You certainly can chain the cooler’s usb to the C-Pro USB ports.

Most every time someone details a dead/blown C-Pro header, the situation involves a two or three way splitter. While plugging the H100i into is certainly different, I would gamble this is too similar to issues with the splitters (whatever that is at the electrical level). I would not recommend doing this for any cooler that takes its power down the fan header line.

How have you been ruining the H100i v2? Fans on pump controller and all through the Commander Pro? Theoretically it should be below 1.0A and LL fans with motor power only don’t draw much current. However, I am not sure why you would set it up this way. Since you can’t control the H100i v2 like a fan, it is a waste of a C-Pro header. You can park that on any CHA, CPU, AIO/W_Pump header set to 100% and then still control fan and pump in Link/iCUE. You certainly can chain the cooler’s usb to the C-Pro USB ports.

Most every time someone details a dead/blown C-Pro header, the situation involves a two or three way splitter. While plugging the H100i into is certainly different, I would gamble this is too similar to issues with the splitters (whatever that is at the electrical level). I would not recommend doing this for any cooler that takes its power down the fan header line.

Yes, I've had the two radiator fans connected to the H100i v2 which was then connected to the Commander Pro. I am sort of able to control these fans through iCUE but it's a weird mix of fan curves through the Commander Pro and H100i v2 tabs in iCUE, which I don't fully understand. I'm definitely going to switch it to your suggestion -- it'll give me piece of mind knowing that the pump will remain running, should another CoPro header fail, and better control over the radiator fans.

So there have been other reports of CoPro fan headers failing when using splitters? The splitters should just be doubling the current draw of a single fan (CoPro header sees a single fan with half the impedance of a single fan, supplying the same current as two separate fans) but I'm wondering if these are poorly constructed and shorting somewhere... I have a total of 9 fans so I have been using splitters and will continue to need them (I guess I could use another CoPro but I doubt I could even fit it..). I just ordered some from EKWB which should hopefully be constructed better than generic ones from Amazon/Newegg

Archived