Corsair Community

M.2 NVMe MP500 got working on Windows 7 (partial success)

Hi all,

In case this was helpful, I thought I would share my early and not completed experience (more info given if needed).

Here's how:

1. Install Windows 7 on non-M.2. drive (easiest when M.2. physically disconnected)
  2. Download and install relevant hotfix (to be given soon, but you can find it with a simple google search)
  3. Make disc image on other storage (ext. HDD or other internal HDD/SSD) using your preferred software, mine is Macrium.
  4. Switch off
  5. Plug M.2. Drive in
  6. Turn on
  7. The M.2 will be (should be) visible now
  8. use disc image software to transfer the Windows 7 image to the M.2.
  9. Once complete, shutdown and unplug the original Windows 7 storage.
  10. It 'should' boot up via the M.2.

I'm still not happy with the performance and that 'may' be resolved once all drivers and software updates are installed.

Cheers!

Chris

Corsair SSD toolbox doesn't yet (still....) support the MP500.

Don't know why Corsair leaves this hanging for so long!?

Their top-end drive and no toolbox/firmware/driver update!

"support"

I think it might - here's a screenshot of the stuff on Windows 10 (where the temp and other info is given). Some features don't seem to work though, such as TRIM...although I keep thinking that MVNe drives don't do that, my memory is really bad on the subject!

attachment.php?attachmentid=28615&stc=1&d=1492608617

Windows10-Corsair-Toolbox.png.c649858256108b0f2c335415e4a4a12b.png

Doesn't matter nvme or not.

Most, if not all SSDs do trim.

I think it's a feature of Windows, not the drive itself.

It's a fact that MP500 is not fully supported by the toolbox.

Btw, does Firmware upodate work?

Doesn't matter nvme or not.

Most, if not all SSDs do trim.

I think it's a feature of Windows, not the drive itself.

It's a fact that MP500 is not fully supported by the toolbox.

Btw, does Firmware upodate work?

I had seen most SSD's do trim, I just thought the connection type might make it redundant, perhaps not.

Here's it checking for firmware updates...I'd be interested if it's correct.

attachment.php?attachmentid=28623&stc=1&d=1492681584

Windows10-Corsair-Toolbox-firmware-check.png.da67f373dfcd074ee16828ad74b91f5d.png

Interesting, a few months ago the firmware update button was inactive.

The latest version of SSD toolbox now supports the drive.

03/23/2017 - Corsair SSD Toolbox v1.2.5.5

What's new (from v1.2.4.7):

The integration of Corsair SSD Toolbox to support NVMe PCIe SSD interface.

Firmware update support enhancements for Force LE200 drives.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=136305

• 2 months later...

I'm still not happy with the performance and that 'may' be resolved once all drivers and software updates are installed.

Was this resolved? I'm in the process of doing this now but if the performance is not what it should be then ill just go with win10.

Thanks!

Microsoft is doing everything they can to force you...

go with win10.

Why do you think there are no NMVe drivers for win 7? Because MS said so.

Corsair support was boasting their service, and what? Where is the driver, we ask for?!

Was this resolved? I'm in the process of doing this now but if the performance is not what it should be then ill just go with win10.

Thanks!

:-( I gave up and went to Windows 10, which then meant I had to pay for new software which didn't work without an upgrade. Performance wise I guess it was OK, just seemed a bit glitchy - not BSOD's, just not very cleanly working. A few lags where there shouldn't be, etc.

The Win 10 setup does work OK, but I do recommend running a keyless version first to see if it suits you, think I had a version run without a key for best part of a month without "You must buy a licence for this ya know" message.

My main concern with running Win 7 with a hotfix, is that it was a 'fix', because of this I believe it isn't able to make full use of the NVME speed. Of course we may only be talking about a 20-30% speed loss, which still exceeds a normal SSD speed. But that's not really the point - I paid a fair amount of money for this and it's not really on if I don't get the spec I paid good money for.

Final advice, if it's not too late, get a refund and buy a Samsung NVMe, I wish I did as I believe they have Win 7 drivers! Hope that helps...sorry if I drivelled on.

Microsoft is doing everything they can to force you...

Why do you think there are no NMVe drivers for win 7? Because MS said so.

Corsair support was boasting their service, and what? Where is the driver, we ask for?!

Pretty much...yeah! This is much like that other story about backwards compatibility being given the finger, where Kaby Lake CPU's (I think) won't work with older O/S's like Win 7. There's already plenty of evidence to suggest they do, but it just seems like an ever so disgusting marketing ploy to get people to spend money...oh, and get more marketing info on consumers.

Rant over, apologies!

Final advice, if it's not too late, get a refund and buy a Samsung NVMe, I wish I did as I believe they have Win 7 drivers! Hope that helps...sorry if I drivelled on.

Oh how much I do agree with you...

This is my biggest mistake to buy mp500.

And yes, kaby works with WIN7, only 2 things:

1. Intel's drivers for intergrated graphics often cause BSOD's with WIN7 (not a really big problem if you have any other GPU)

2. C-step thing does not work as fast as with WIN10. But if you use performance power plan instead of balanced.... there is no need in this ****** at all.

Oh how much I do agree with you...

This is my biggest mistake to buy mp500.

And yes, kaby works with WIN7, only 2 things:

1. Intel's drivers for intergrated graphics often cause BSOD's with WIN7 (not a really big problem if you have any other GPU)

2. C-step thing does not work as fast as with WIN10. But if you use performance power plan instead of balanced.... there is no need in this ****** at all.

It's such a shame isn't it, well, mistake made and note to self!

Thanks for clarifying the Kaby details, some youtuber did a thorough test and Win7 worked happily - although he had a dedicated graphics card which worked around the integrated graphics of course!

Archived