Corsair Community

1000HX and HD 4870 X2

Speedi

I have a quick installation question regarding the HD 4870 X2 and the 1000HX - is it better to use the braided connectors for PCi-E versus the modular for this video card? Are the rails strong enough in either the modular or braided (braided means the integrated PCI-E connectors)?

Thanks!

• Corsair Employee
I would recommend using the fixed PCIE cables for the first card, although technically you should be able to use which ever ones you like. One thing you do not want to do is mix rails on a single video card, and by that, I mean that you would not want to plug one cable from 12v1 and one cable from 12v2 into the same card. The voltage regulation may not be identical across both rails, and sometimes your graphics card may have trouble with that.

I would recommend using the fixed PCIE cables for the first card, although technically you should be able to use which ever ones you like. One thing you do not want to do is mix rails on a single video card, and by that, I mean that you would not want to plug one cable from 12v1 and one cable from 12v2 into the same card. The voltage regulation may not be identical across both rails, and sometimes your graphics card may have trouble with that.

OK, but I am curious whether I have a voltage problem since the video adapter is not functioning properly. I'll now try a few of the modular plugs to see if it's the PSU or the video card. Thanks for the response and I'll let you know the results.

Archived