Corsair Community

The differences between Corsair DOMINATOR PLATINUM editions

ghost619

We would need to know your hardware platform to answer the 4 module vs 2 module question. Obviously a 4 channel memory board like X99/X299 would be better served by the 4x8GB kit. Some of this may be a moot point. I am not sure you will be able to find a blackout or chrome edition anywhere.

I would want a 4 module kit for X99, in this case 4x8GB. Sadly, I think your chances of obtaining a 4x8 blackout kit are extremely low. It would look great with that board. It takes some artistic talent to work with the Torque kit, if that kind of thing matters to you.

• 2 weeks later...
More on this topic. I noticed the Contrast edition has a 3466 CL16 XMP profile as opposed to the 3200 CL14 that was present on the previous eidtions. Would the chrome and blackout also be able to accept the 3466 CL16 timings?

I'm just curious as to why the contrast version ships with a different XNP profile as compared to the earlier editions. Also, in the review in your signature, you test only 2 single rank DIMMs. That configuration is far easier to overclock than the four SR, or 2 dual rank the kits ship as.

I'm running my kit just fine at the rated 3200 CL14 with all four DIMMs installed. I do wonder if the 3466 CL16 profile included in the contrast edition would be faster. Higher clock but looser timings make it a tough call.

DDR4-3200 is pretty mainstream nowadays, so Corsair probably decided to up the specs a bit.

For Kaby Lake-S/X and Coffee Lake-S it does not really matter if you are using 2x8GB or 4x8GB unless you go way beyond what I tested. However not all Z270 motherboards can handle DDR4-4133+ with tight timings and a command rate of 1T. So that is one of the reasons why I did use the Apex for my tests.

That makes sense. For me, however, the new contrast timings are really interesting. I think 3466 CL16 and 3200 CL14 probably perform pretty similarly, and the increased clock speed is offset by the looser timings.

However, Ryzen infinity fabric does run relative the RAM clock speed. So there is the potential on a Ryzen system to see some gains with the 3466 timings versus the 3200. So again I ask, are the Contrast DIMMs different that the earlier editions? Or will the 3466 CL16 timings work on earlier special editions? And if so, would it be possible for special edition owners to get those timings?

• Corsair Employee
That makes sense. For me, however, the new contrast timings are really interesting. I think 3466 CL16 and 3200 CL14 probably perform pretty similarly, and the increased clock speed is offset by the looser timings.

However, Ryzen infinity fabric does run relative the RAM clock speed. So there is the potential on a Ryzen system to see some gains with the 3466 timings versus the 3200. So again I ask, are the Contrast DIMMs different that the earlier editions? Or will the 3466 CL16 timings work on earlier special editions? And if so, would it be possible for special edition owners to get those timings?

I'm afraid that directly from us we wouldn't be able to provide any of the information you seek, every kit is created differently.

Archived