Corsair Community

Vengeance 1500 constant static/off-and-on whine

thric3blinded

Hey there,

I'm on Windows 7 x64 with a Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 motherboard. I downloaded and installed the Vengeance 1500 1.1 drivers and plugged the headset in. I have no issues with the sound or the mic, however while the sound in windows is NOT muted - I hear a constant low-volume static and whine (the kind you hear from cheap USB headphones, almost like you hear your computer processing things :P). The whine is off and on, it'll drone in then drone out - very high pitched but just as low volume as the constant static (sounds like pink noise).

Anyone experience this? Is there something I'm missing? When I mute all sounds it instantly disapears and goes silent, turning off mute makes it very noticeable when it comes back.

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction. Thanks

Update: I've tried all my USB ports as well, the USB 2 and 3 ports show the same problem.

This is a common complaint that in my never humble opinion, Corsair is in denial of. They may suggest an RMA, but I have yet to hear of anyone getting a pair back that does not have this issue.

I still love my HS1s, but I simply fail to understand how anyone could fail to hear this.

Honestly I think it is simply noise from the 1ms polling used for all USB audio devices. There is no real way to eliminate it, but the DAC does filter most of it. Perhaps in the distant future USB 4 will have a special "Clean" port for audio that is free from noise that all existing USB ports suffer from.

Anyone try a PCI USB port? I wonder if that would help reduce the noise the motherboards inflict on the USB ports. (Since PCI has a dedicated interrupt and can be shielded for special purposes like RAID cards used to.)

• 4 weeks later...

I just picked up a set of the 1500s and it has this exact issue. I can hear a noise like white noise with a little bit of a squeal when there is no sound and it gets much worse in games as I can hear a very apparent squeal when there is no sound or low sound which really is a killer for horror based games or game with not a lot of loud noises all the time.

Super, super annoying. Anyone figure out how to fix this or is it something Corsair has to deal with in the drivers. If it is in the drivers that makes me very nervous because I see there are problems with the 1.1 drivers that haven't been updated for about 4-5 months.

I just came over from a set of Logitech G930s because of serious issues and don't want to keep this set if this is going to plague my gaming for ever unless I buy a ANOTHER set

• Corsair Employee
I would try them on another system to be sure it is not some other problem, but we can try and replace the head sets that is not a problem. But there is no known issue with the head sets that would cause this anomaly a few have had this issue but we have unable to link to a specific cause. As it seems to be only some systems configurations may display this symptom. If you want to try and replace them by all means please use the link on the left and request an RMA and we will be happy to try that. But I would try them on another system to be sure it is not system specific first.

• 8 months later...

I am getting a similar thing with my 1500 on TF2.

Steam seems to be fine, and on some servers there is no problem, but on others, I get a scratchy static-y interference whenever I transmit.

After connecting to a server that displays that, ALL servers do the same.

I do not know if it is the server, or even the players/soundpacks they may be using that messes with my setup, but it is getting frustrating. I have no problems on any other game (yet).

TIA!

• Corsair Employee
I am getting a similar thing with my 1500 on TF2.

Steam seems to be fine, and on some servers there is no problem, but on others, I get a scratchy static-y interference whenever I transmit.

After connecting to a server that displays that, ALL servers do the same.

I do not know if it is the server, or even the players/soundpacks they may be using that messes with my setup, but it is getting frustrating. I have no problems on any other game (yet).

TIA!

Is your latency pretty high when you transmit? Have you also tried recording yourself in Windows Recorder? That'll help with seeing if the mic is actually clear when you speak into it (no external codecs being used).

• 6 months later...

My latency is VERY low. The ping to the game is in the single digits (milliseconds). the voice transmits with very little lag.

Some people have more of a problem with it than others. Some only hear a low hum, but on others games, it muffles all other sounds when I am transmitting.

When I test the mic before I start up the game engine, it comes through crystal clear. When I start the game and test again, the voice is lower and there is a buzz/hum on the line.

The problem is on TF2 with its old set of sound drivers (the ones that allowed custom soundbytes to be played). If you need information on it so you can see the possible conflict, let me know.

• 1 month later...

Archived