Corsair Community

H100i GTX (2 months old) LEAKAGE

Coco-Ta

Hello,

today I just opened the case after less than 2 months from building the system and I have detected liquid on the back H100i GTX fan (closer to the rear case). It was not stain, not dry, but WET. I hace not seen that on the other fan, and I have tested for 10 min and have not been able to "see/notice" more liquid after cleaning what I saw. So it might be some kind of microspot or something really small... but after less than 2 months of work I DO NOT THINK that device is reliable. So I have asked a RMA. I guess that is more than reasonable issue to get another nez device exchange.

Have any of you suffered something similar?

I have just created a "some-kind-of-bowl" made with plastic boxes just hanging over the GPU and down side of the case just to: 1-safely detect more leakage, 2-avoid breaking components.

I have seen that under 0ºC and low twmpratures pipes/radiator may break... but I can assure you here we are not closer to "cold" weather at the moment...

I am too disappointed... as my greatest fears have became true...

Hello,

the truth is ONLY 1 fan has it, so I thought it was radiator leakage on that side.

After watching those pics mine had MORE fluid and it was on the internal sides of the fan and in the upper sides of the blades (so, whatever it is, it drops from "above").

So, I really cannot tell what is that fluid... It may be the fan oil (1st time ever I have seen that on the so many differnet fans I have had, ever) and the quantity was too big (how can so much oil be there?). Truth is here we have around 35ºC so maybe due to bad oiling the bearings and the heat it may be that... but in that case:

a) I keep having a problem with leakage (radiator or fan)

b) Fan will break (and I can tell you above 1200rpm they are noisy...)

Do you know which colour is the cooler liquid on the H100i GTX? It was like "transparent" towards yellow/brown (very slight colour).

Can a radiator leakage be so small as to have to wait for days to see the drop?

Also, looking more carefully I see that some "fins" on the radiator were blent... can that be a problem (leakage or not)? I think coolant does not pass through them, as they seem to be very thin... coolant goes through the 13 (I think they are) longitudinal thicker metal parts, right?

Inc ase it "may" be lubricant, is it even partially conductive (=will shortcut components=PC dead)?

Thank you for your comments.

PS: I did not take screenshots as I wanted to solve urgently and I was almost thinking on replacing the whole thing for the crappy dafault Intel cooler... But for now, my custom handmade hanging plastic container over the GPU/PSU gives me some peace.

It's rare for a radiator to leak and if it does it would most likely come from where hose points connect, not the metal radiator itself. Water will not just start dripping through the radiator and no matter how hot and humid it is in your room, the radiator will not corrode at that rate. Bent fins are common and don't cause leakage.

The brownish-yellow fluid sounds exactly like fan lubricant. This is known to happen. As the oil slowly bleeds out of the fan hub, it hits the blades and gets sprayed around making it hard to pin-point. The solution is to replace the fan. You can certainly go through Corsair customer service and they will replace it, but personally I would replace the fans immediately if that option is available to you. It never hurts to have an extra pair around and if you find the included SP120L's noisy, it's a chance to pick up a lower noise pair with a slight drop in performance. Make sure you get 4 pin PWM 120mm fans to be able to run them through the pump block and LINK.

Hello,

I will look tomorrow again, but it seems that the porblem is on the fan itself... (I may be considered lucky...). Of course, my "handmade protection" only works for fluid coming from top to GPU/PSU, so in case of a leakage like these mobo+CPU+probably GPU connectors may be damaged.

Hello,

I have "bad news" from my "retailer" (local store): they want me to SEND THEM the full H100i GTX... for changing a fan... I have explained to them and they say "Corsair only gives them the full device in exchange"...

Is it true? I mean, do I have to desinstall the whole thing, including the block/pump, install the Intel subcooler, wait for 2-3 months, and revert all again, next to the waiting for another 2-3 weeks until TIM cures properly to see if it all is correctly done?

Yes, I could keep the (as per all the fluid I removed) next-to-fail fan or exchange it/them both for another... but H100i GTX was not cheap... And also I have some PWM Noctua, but both have no same max rpm ratings, not matching CFM nor static pressure (I would have to see what is needed for the radiator)...

Please, can I have a way to get a replacement for only 1 fan directly speaking with Corsair? If the laekage was "real" I would be the first to dismount everything but in this case the "send all components of the device" for just 1 single esasily detachable part seems to be absurd.

I don't know what the RMA service center for Corsair is in your area (possibly UK), but contact Corsair directly. I suspect they will be more willing to deal in individual parts, especially if you explain the issue. Go to the regular Corsair Product page -- support. You will need to create an account. Retailers deal in whole units. They don't do the repairs, but send entire units back as defective, possibly without explanation. Going through Corsair is the better route.

It may also be worth your time to pick up another matching Noctua PWM 4-pin. It's a lower spinning fan and would likely provide the noise reduction you are looking for.

Hello,

I have just opened a ticket at Corsair’s Customer Service and Technical Support Center. Hope they answer soon and they can replace the fan alone...

Today I opened the case again and again more drops/stains there. Just muche less than the other day, so it seems to have been dripping from the vey first day. I ahve never seen that before, but at this rate I think it will have no much more lubricant to drop, and then it will burn itself...

On the other hand, why did you think I am from UK? :laughing:

On the other hand, why did you think I am from UK? :laughing:

I didn't. But there are only a few Corsair RMA centers and I thought the UK location might be the one serving you and wished to dispel the notion of needing to mail it to California. There is also one in the Netherlands. Customer Support will give you the location when they respond, if it's even necessary to return the fan. Possible they may just ship you a new one.

Thanks for the geography lesson Red. The current Corsair servicing map for continental Europe was suspiciously absent from my doctoral examination in the related subject. Of course that was some time ago and long before Corsair had locations in either place. I thought the "I don't know..." bit was enough. 50/50 chance. Rats. Maybe next time.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

let's forget all that "geographical knowledge" for another day... I come to say what has happened with this problem, what solution (temporal?) I have been given and furthermore, to know wether I have a proper system from original day one from Corsair or not.

*28-07-2015: I opened a ticket with Corsair. After asking me for the proof of purchase they accept sending me a new fan.

*11-08-2015: I receive the "packet". Open it to find that I have been sent the brackets for mounting the pump/reservoir instead of a fan (I heard many parts inside the bag...).

I tell this to Corsair.

Corsair answers: Sadly, we do not have the H100i GTX fan available as spare part at this time. I have created the new ticket with the H100i fan in the mean time while we await stock of the correct replacement fan.

*24-08-2015 (today): I receive the second packet, containing the CO-8950002 fan. I HAVE NOT REPLACED IT YET.

Well, just looking at what differences may be between both coolers fans, and not knowing if many differences between both radiators are, I see that:

H100i (I do not own):

Radiator dimensions: 120mm x 275mm x 27mm

Fan dimensions: 120mm x 120mm x 25mm

Fan speed: 2700 RPM

Fan airflow: 77 CFM

Fan dBA: 37.68 dBA

Fan static pressure: 4mm/H20

H100i GTX (I DO own):

Radiator dimensions: 276mm x 125mm x 30mm

Fan dimensions: 120mm x 120mm x 25mm

Fan speed: 2435 +/- 10% RPM

Fan airflow: 70.69 CFM

Fan static pressure: 4.65 mmH2O

Fan noise level: 37.7 dB(A)

So, IT SEEMS that both coolers do need DIFFERENT static pressure and airflow, being MY H100i GTX a bit more static pressure demanding, but less airflow demanding than the H100i.

I understand that these differences, and more than that, being 2 different fans on the same radiator MAY NOT BE OPTIMAL but, maybe more problems than that may arise? If both are different RPMs I know that I have to choose one of them to get the sensor reading, but as they work on PWM, I do understand that if it is set to 57% it will be 57% of EACH INDIVIDUAL fan speed, so at 100% I will get 100% of both, each with its own maximum speed, not forcing one or underusing the other, right?

And EVEN MORE IMPORTANT NOW: As per this issue I have just READED about the FANS that SHOULD HAVE COME WITH MY H100i GTX... and I HAVE REALISED THAT WETHER:

1-I AM USING NOT PROPER FANS INSTALLED AND SHIPPED WITH MY ORIGINAL H100i GTX

2-Corsair specifications are WRONG on the webpage... (and I sent to the garbage last month the H100i GTX carton case so I cannot read the inbox specifications to compare).

AS I AM HAVING FANS (at least the one with sensor (yellow) wire) WITH MAXIMUM 2700rpm. As per webpage I would have a 2400rpm fan, but as I ahve posted before here, I get a MAXIMUM RPM (AT STABLE AND MAINTAINED 2700rpm, not peaks) of 2700rpm when I open full screen (another instance) of Corsair Link (as I have no system task icon since day one and after 3 different driver version of CL...) with last applied custom curve. This is the same if I force to manual speed, 100%.

And more mysteries add here, as if you look at this, the CO-8950002 fan is for the H100i and H80i but the specifications (quite SHORT, indeed) given are:

Max RPM: 2700 RPM

CFM: 74.42

Dimensions: 120mm X 120MM X 25MM

Connection: 4-PIN PWM

Fan Noise: 37.68 Dba

-------> AIRFLOW 74'42CFM DOES NOT MATCH WITH EITHER H100i nor H100i GTX COOLERs FAN SPECIFICATIONS!!!! It's just in between; but fan speed matches the H100i specifications and MY H100i GTX FAN ORIGINAL FROM BOX day one.

So, HAS ANYONE USING H100i GTX had these fans or others? I cannot check the static pressure, nor the airflow with my means, so only difference I can get is the FAN SPEED, and MY ACTUAL ORIGINAL H100iGTX FANS (not changed yet for the new one) DO NOT MATCH WITH SPECIFICATIONS.

IN SHORT:

1-I OWN AN ORIGINAL (NOTHING CHANGED YET) H100i GTX that has at least 1 fan with max speed 2700rpm, listed to be as the H100i (NOT H100i GTX) fan on Corsair website. Also the replacement does not exactly match with H100i specification and max speed does match with H100i, AND MY DAY ONE ORIGINAL UNCHANGED H100i GTX fans...

2-Additionally, I have been given an H100i fan for replacement of my H100i GTX faulty (and noisy by now) fan due to uber lubricant losses.

Oh, my!!!

PS: My maximum fan speed readings using bith CL and HWInfo64 (matching at 2700rpm):

http://i.imgur.com/FQGmfpn.jpg

I'd request two of the old H100i fans. They should be perfectly fine for use with the H100i GTX, but you would want the fans to match.

Excuse me sir, but I understand that if a particular product has specific characteristics should be respected, and sometimes we complain because we changed the radiator fans to put another not as "noisy" brand and sometimes there are problems, just thus, it can be assumed that if the coils of a radiator have this or that density must be ventilated by an air flow x, it will produce exactly the fan "a" fan "B" will work, sure, but not with the same efficiency as calculated engineer when he designed the model.

Get me out of my ignorance if I'm wrong please.

I guess, relatively speaking, it's like getting a Ferrari and instead of coming equipped with a gearbox six, comes with a five, going to work, that's for sure, but not what you bought the client, just simple.

• Corsair Employee
Excuse me sir, but I understand that if a particular product has specific characteristics should be respected, and sometimes we complain because we changed the radiator fans to put another not as "noisy" brand and sometimes there are problems, just thus, it can be assumed that if the coils of a radiator have this or that density must be ventilated by an air flow x, it will produce exactly the fan "a" fan "B" will work, sure, but not with the same efficiency as calculated engineer when he designed the model.

Get me out of my ignorance if I'm wrong please.

I guess, relatively speaking, it's like getting a Ferrari and instead of coming equipped with a gearbox six, comes with a five, going to work, that's for sure, but not what you bought the client, just simple.

You're overcomplicating the situation. The fans used on the H100i and the fans used on the H100i GTX are still fundamentally powerful static pressure fans. The performance difference between the two, in practice, will be negligible at worst.

You're overcomplicating the situation. The fans used on the H100i and the fans used on the H100i GTX are still fundamentally powerful static pressure fans. The performance difference between the two, in practice, will be negligible at worst.

YEs, NOT A BIG DIFFERENCE, but a significant difference that just points out at least 1 of the H100i GTX I purchased (if not both) are not the intended or OPTIMAL ones.

If I swap ORIGINAL-SPECIFIED-(supposed)OPTIMAL fans for others, that should be MY problem. But here I have been given what it is not (that apart from the lubricant issue).

Just thta simple. If I change the 2x120mm "high static pressure" for a 230mm HIGH FLOW and my system overheats, Corsair would not be responsible. GOing down to a not so far difference in fan solution for radiator, if I increase or decrease from optimal values the static pressure (or any of the related affecting parameters) and my system IN TIME gets hotter due to that NONOPTIMAL situation, Corsair WOULD NOT BE RESPONSIBLE EITHER. But in this case I am (or at least I think I am, as I don't know wether the web page info is real updated or wrong) on a similar situation to own "fan modding" AIO cooler (and inside warranty period) but NOT INTENDED by me...

I think I explain myself...

PS: I got an answer from COrsair ticket system saying this...:

Created By: Jamey TS (8/25/2015 1:20 AM)

Hello Jorge, the pump spins at 3000 RPM +/- 10% which fits for the 2700 RPM you are seeing on CPU fan header one.

that has nothing to do with this all at all, as pump is not readed by any other thing than CL and is working at fied 1800rpm (quiet profile) or 3000rom (performance profile) and has really nothing to do with my explanation.

An easy example: if I buy a book with broken corners I CAN KEEP READING IT, but IT IS "broken" since day one on purchase. Even if I had bought a "perfect" bokk at day one of purchase and LATER ON it gets old or breaks... but I should have gotten it "new and perfect" from start. That is all I am meaning here.

Add to that the never ever heard (or experienced by myself) lubricant leaking, the Corsair Link issues... The least expected by me was that checking differences between the specified fans and the H100i replacement given fan I would find out my original fans are not the "intended" ones... Or at least that is all what it leads to.

This has nothing to do wether it may be a BIG or not so big difference. That's the point.

Going to your comment:

I can't believe a Corsair commercial person trying to sell a COrsair product saying: "well, we do not mind calculating for optimal values, more or less all those work, so we pick up the cheapest one or the more nonselled one on each AIO device we sell, nevermind to even use the same at same device, as they all are almost the same... But, hey, just buy my stuff, it's ver good...". Sounds like a joke to me.

I can see why you are annoyed and the situation was not handled well. When they didn't have the current specification SP120L fan, they should have known to send two based on the model of your cooler. But if you are looking for a solution, you can do one of several things.

1) Keep pressuring them to send you two of the same fan. It may take some time, patience, and a wait for shipping. At this point, I would probably forgo this for better options.

2) Pick up the retail version of the Corsair SP120 Performance Edition PWM fan. It is the same fan that comes with coolers, only with colored rings and I suspect I higher level of scrutiny at the manufacturing site. There aren't a whole of complaints about the aftermarket SP120's. They are commonly available and many people would consider them an upgrade from the original fans because of the cosmetic and sound profile improvements. It is the same physical fan as both of the grey SP120L's that are in your possession.

3) Get two of any other 120mm 4 pin PWM fan. As far as cooling performance goes, fans are vastly overrated. Very few people operate at the limits of their cooling capabilities where 2-3C makes a difference in performance. Most other 120mm fans will spin slower, and thus move slightly less air through the radiator. In return you get less noise and the appearance of your choice. As long as it is a PWM 4 pin fan, you should be able to control them through the pump header and LINK. 3 pin fans work as well, but must be powered through the motherboard or fan controller.

As for the two grey SP120L's that you have now, you are giving too much weight to their specifications. Static pressure is a hard concept to apply to your actual computer case. It's the amount of back pressure it takes to reduce to fan's speed to zero --- a situation you will never encounter in a PC environment. In industrial applications, it can have more value. A fan with a slightly higher static pressure rating does not automatically offer better cooling performance. There are several other factors involved, all of which are more important for day to day use and enjoyment. In a side by side lab bench test, the older fans may actually offer a very slight advantage -- like 1 degree C. Maybe. The higher 2700 rpm limit would give it that advantage, a speed no one needs to run. Trying to decide between those fans based on specifications is like rejecting one sports car for another, because it only does 350 kph and other model does 351 kph. You can't drive that fast and a slight headwind changes everything anyway. Besides, the magic of reducing the rpm by 300 and yet gaining 0.65 mm of static pressure without changing the blade or frame of the fan has yet to be explained. It's another reason not to view the specifications as performance changing. Every fan has a +-10% variance in it's speed anyway due to the nature of mass production fan motors. That's just how it is. That plus or minus 10% is greater than the difference you are focusing on.

Hello,

I am annoyed not only because of the "situation", nor only because of the giving of a non SUPPOSED TO BE matching fan. The point is that I HAVE CHECKED and MY "well working fan from day one" is 2700rpm max, as the one I ahve been given for replacement. The 2700 matches with H100i, nor H100i GTX; former being CoolIT, latter (MINE) Asetek, having slight different radiators, different pump...

SO the thing is:

1-I bought a H100i GTX but with H100i fans

2-Besides 1, one of the fans was failing, as it has been leaking lubricant till now... (truly, now it is only "creamy" on the blades, so I suppose NO MORE lubricant must be left on the bearings.

No more than serial number on the fan itself. On replacement fan box appeared the brand model...

SO, beware, non matching components are being sold.

THIS IS TRUE, EVEN if those unmatchings (differences) ARE NOT "SO BIG".

PS: ALso, replacement fan+old OK fan are much noisier than previous OK fan+lubricant leaking fan. This presents a mid-low frequency noise engine-like, a rotor issue.

Archived