Corsair Community

First build complete, New H110i pump giving me issues

TexasWolf

Built my PC yesterday, pumps we're running fine until it just shut off after about 2 hours of use.

Part list

When I turn on the PC I get fan error messages.

Picture

When I get to the BIOS the CPU temps start out at about 30 and climb to 75 just running on the BIOS.

Picture

Note that the BIOS only shows two fans running and not the pump

I can't feel any water moving in the tubes and I don't hear the pump moving either.

The Corsair link cable is connected to the USB header and the LED's and fans work fine.

The pump power lead is plugged into the PSU with a SATA connection and is working fine, it shares a SATA connection with my SSD which works so I know that isn't the problem either.

I have tried plugging in the pump header to the CPU_FAN header, no luck.

I have tried plugging in the pump header directly into the PSU with an adapter, no luck.

I have tried plugging in the pump header to the 3-pin W_PUMP connector on the MOBO, no luck.

On the H110i, power to the pump and fan controller is supplied through the SATA cable only. The 3 pin connector has other minor purposes for reporting and to avoid CPU fan boot errors. Moving it around won't help with this.

From your description, there appears to be no pump action at all. Your CPU temp behavior supports this as well. I would move the SATA cable to a different connector and/or socket on the PSU. However, if you have lights on H110i and still no pump action, it would suggest the problem is internal. Either way, if moving to a different SATA power point does not remedy the issue, you need to return or RMA the unit.

Which option is best may depend on where you live. Presumably, this is a brand new unit and you have return options with the original vendor. However, some vendors stick you with unfavorable conditions, even on defective merchandise, or require you pay for additional shipping, etc. You can also RMA through Corsair. In addition to uploading the purchase invoice, make sure you clearly indicate this is a brand new unit right out of the box. Corsair usually will take care of the shipping for you on new units and you may be able to speed up the process with a credit card hold and advance RMA. However, worldwide return locations are limited, so the transit time can be long or unfeasible in some places. Either way, you should start the RMA ticket here to log the unit as defective. This is a separate site from the forums and will require its own login/password.

Thanks for the suggestion, I tried a different SATA connector on the PSU and the same issues persist. I have filled out an RMA form.

Update: If anyone has experience during the RMA process with Corsair please let me know how that went.

Update 2: Newegg has given me an RMA number and a shipping label, where as my Corsair RMA is still pending approval.

Update 3: Newegg issued me a shipping label and gave me free 2 day shipping on the new h110i. Mailed out the defective h110i today. Still pending approval on the Corsair RMA. Canceling the Corsair RMA.

The Skylake CPUs have quite a range on auto and give adaptive voltage a whole new meaning. That is something to be aware of when running stress tests with Auto voltage. Either way, high voltage causes instant high temperatures, not a continual slow build up like you had here.

Update on the RMA:

The pump made it to New Egg today and I was swiftly blamed for physical damage to the fans(what?). I sent it back for the pump not working, and now they want to tell me that I broke the fans.

I personally watched a Fed Ex employee wrap that thing with 100 layers of bubble wrap, and it was in perfect physical condition when I sent it out, including everything in the box down to the last screw.

What can I do in this situation and what rights do I have as a customer? I'm afraid that if they blame me for this and don't accept my RMA, that Corsair will not accept it either and I will be stuck with a broken part, all to no fault of my own.

(maybe it was my fault for ordering from New Egg)

Any advice for a disappointed consumer?

Unfortunately, the same as anyone else wronged... go to court. That limitation is the incentive for corporate bullying. CA has strong consumer protection laws and you should voice your complaint to the proper authority, however it won't resolve the current issue. What exactly is NewEgg proposing? That you don't get a refund and they keep the parts? If they aren't going to accept it, then that had better send it back to you. Unfortunately, you should also take the time to look at their sales agreements. It won't be a pleasant read, but you need to know where you stand.

1) The voltage is high and won't help your temps, bothe the 6600K and the 6700K can overclock quite well using 1.27V or less.

2) You can disable the cpu fan warning, but it's there for a reason, which is to warn you of cooling problems, rather than frying your cpu (or throttling it)

3) Did you enclose a copy of your invoice with your RMA to Corsair? My (fairly limited) experience with Corsair has been very good, they swapped a Commander Mini for me with no problem and they have sent out parts without wanting the old bits back (sometimes a photo) including virtually the whole front of the 750D.

Archived