Corsair Community

ML120 : Good replacement for H100i GTX fans ?

linxeye

Hey there,

Was wondering if ML120 could make up for a good replacement of H100i GTX fans ?

I wish to replace those because they are especially noisy in summer time. Can't figure out though if ML120 is high static pressure ?

Thanks !

Any of the ML120 series should be an excellent replacement. These fans are more of a hybrid design between pure airflow (AF120) and maximal pressure (SP120). This fan is a compromise between the two types and I am glad to see Corsair fill the gap. Most 120mm fans fall into the hybrid category, offering a very good airflow volume and still some directed air flow. With a lower 2000 rpm limit and a slightly angled blade, the ML120 should be quieter both on boot/fan test and at a like rpm comparison. 2000 RPM is never going to be quiet, but I would swap any of the line for the SP120L in a heartbeat. We'll have to see how the real world tests come out, but my hunch is they will actually offer slightly better cooling than the originals when on the top half of the rpm band. More airflow through the radiator is better. A flat blade fan is better at pushing air through the radiator at low speeds, but that same design becomes the limitation at higher speeds.

All of the ML120's appear to be 4 pin PWM, but the official Corsair site (still) does not have them up and other retail stores have limited specifications posted. If you put two LED models on a splitter, you will need to mind the total amperage. It would shocking if they designed it to compromise the standard 1.0A motherboard header limit, but in the past you might see high rpm 120mm LED fans with 0.40 or 0.45A draws. That is enough to take notice.

Yeah I couldn't find a page on Corsair site about ML120, reason why I came here to have some advice. They are on sale here in Europe. I'm not sure LED models are though.

I'd prefer those fans to stay in the range of 1000/1500 rpm max because higher RPM will always be noisy you're totally right. That's why they have to be efficient.

I don't remember how the 2x SP120 of H100i GTX are connected to the motherboard : it goes through a splitter ?

There is a splitter that leads back to the pump. If you use LINK to control your fans, this is the method you use. There should not be an issue with amperage when using this method. Some people prefer motherboard control of the fans and connect them directly to the board.

Thanks for the precision about the splitter ! I clearly don't remember :)

Yep I use Corsair Link to control the fans and prefer to continue doing so. The amperage issue you talk about concerns only LED models ? Are you sure of it or is that a guessing ? If I opt for ML120 Pro, should it work fine ? Thanks !

The amperage issue you talk about concerns only LED models ? Are you sure of it or is that a guessing ?

Either the MLPRO or LED model should work fine. As I mentioned, it would be shocking if Corsair put out a fan that would cause a problem with two on a splitter for the standard 1.0A header limit. Nevertheless, this is something you should always check, particularly with LED fans. They will draw more current than the same fan without the extra lighting. No, I don't know the exact amperage since it is not on Corsair page nor any other retailer I've found yet. If someone has one, they can post the info from the fan label and Corsair will put up a product page eventually. I am hoping some refinements in the lighting will keep the total draw in 0.35A range. We'll see.

i have my ml120 pro hooked up with h100i v2, and 3 exhaust.

http://m.imgur.com/a/LCZcX

i get 20-25 idle, 30-35 at normal load. i5 6600k 4.5ghz 1.25v.

installation is perfect, fits better than the stock sp120l.

i have asus board, and plug the 2 connected to radiator to cpu and cpu_opt, radiator to water pump. i use fan expert 3 and do not use link.

An ampere (amp or A) is a measure the current flow between two points. Fuses are often rated in amps (25A fuse) and too much current is harmful to electronics (and most everything else). The relevance here is your typical motherboard fan header has a 1.0A limit and you do not want to exceed or really approach that value. In this case, we were trying to see if 2 ML120's on one header is safe. It is (2 x 0.299 < 1.0A).

You will sometimes see the figures expressed in Watts as a measure of power. Technically, they are two different things, but can be converted back and forth with this formula: Watts = Volts x Amps

In most PC's, the voltage is 12v, so if you know the wattage or current, you can find the other. The ML120 is a 3.6w fan, although that usually is not useful information unless you want to know how much power all your fans use at full blast.

• 1 month later...
No, you can safely power two ML120 fans through any of the Corsair Link series built in fan controls with lots of amperage to spare. This thread was mostly pre-launch speculation. It's 0.30A per fan.

Thanks you very much, then i will buy 2 fans and control it with Corsair link without damage

• 1 month later...
I just setup a build using the non pro 2 pack of the ML120 fans on my H100i GTX in a pull configuration. Also have the fans connected to the splitter for Corsair Link control but was thinking of testing connecting them to the motherboard to see if theres a difference, In Link I couldn't get them past 1800rpm when on the box there's a close to 2400rpm rating. I have heard these fans need a full 12v for the ML bearing to work properly. However they are much more silent than my old H100i v1 with the SP120L's in push.

I just setup a build using the non pro 2 pack of the ML120 fans on my H100i GTX in a pull configuration. Also have the fans connected to the splitter for Corsair Link control but was thinking of testing connecting them to the motherboard to see if theres a difference, In Link I couldn't get them past 1800rpm when on the box there's a close to 2400rpm rating. I have heard these fans need a full 12v for the ML bearing to work properly. However they are much more silent than my old H100i v1 with the SP120L's in push.

You won't get 2400 rpm when against a radiator. 2250 is more likely when faced with that resistance. However, the 1800 mark is a bit off and likely Link related. You may wish to start a separate thread if you would like help with that. The ML series are PWM, but when driven by the H100i GTX/V2, there are no settings to tweak and the fan controller in the pump will provide the necessary 12v at all times -- provided you have disabled the fan control for the header where the pump is connected. That header needs to be at 100%/maximum/Full Speed or whatever language your BIOS uses.

As for board vs Link/pump block control, moving the fans to board will likely change the dependent variable to CPU temperature. That is a very dynamic value and it will cause your fans to change speed frequently --- revving up and down like an air tower. It's functional, but I would leave them on the block unless you are trying to eliminate Link.

Archived