Corsair Community

CMFSSD-128GBG2D labeled S128, not P128

kevinlau

Please help and explain:

I ordered the SSD P128 (Model: CMFSSD-128GBG2D) from Newegg and received it today.

I opened it and the label on the drive is showing S128.

Shouldn’t it be P128, not S128 ???

Right below that, the part number shows: CMFSSD-128GBG2D.

So which SSD did I got, the old S128 or the new P128 ??

I want the new P128 drive as it was stated on the Newegg item description.

Am I getting a re-badged S128 drive, being sold as a P128 ??

Is Corsair selling off their old S128 model by re-labeling them as the P128 product number ??

If true, this is WRONG !!!!

I hope Corsair can give me an exchange for the correct drive, or will Newegg give me a refund now that I have already opened the package ??

I attached 2 pictures of the drive here, its front and back.

Regard,

KL

P128_S128.jpg.a18e3b58c402ca6961b1af2da4cdc489.jpg

P128_S128_back.jpg.d0c43c32f04f69299dbce9b60b3a1f98.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We just received a package by way of Corsair that contained a brand new product we’re certain many of you will be interested in checking out. Inside a non-descript, little, white box was a shiny Corsair-branded 256GB SSD that the company will be releasing sometime in the not too distant future.

The drive we received is branded as a Corsair S256, but we’ve been told that when the drive hits store shelved the official product name will be P256–the “S” is changing to a “P”.

We set it up for a quick round of HD-Tach and this SSD could actually give Intel something to think about

Direct Link:

http://hothardware.com/News/Corsair-Readying-Ultra-Fast-256GB-SSD/

Apparently Corsair's original name was with the S.. that may be a really really old sample drive..? dunno

the 2g should be the P128 one (very old ones was called S128)

easy way to test is plug it in and to an file benchmark on it, as it comes preformatted when i put my last one in if not make an partition on it from Disk manager Make Sure Quick format is ticked as you do not want to degrade the SSD performance (Never Full format SSDs)

http://crystalmark.info/software/CrystalDiskMark/index-e.html

you should get higher then 150MB/s on the read speeds (SEQ test)

I recieved the same drive from Newegg as well. I scored a 224.0 on the read and 178.6 on the write for the Seq using Crystal Disk Mark 2.2. This is good I hope. KL Newegg did a rma as requested for what I thought was the wrong model. But from what Ram Guy is saying I may just keep it. The drive also shows up as a CORSAIR CMFSSD-128GBG2D in the device manager in Win 7 rtm.

I too just received 2 new unopened "S128" labeled drives having ordered "P128" drives from NewEgg at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233087

The codes on the label on the back of the drive are as follows...

MMCRE28G5MXP - 0VB

DCF630S928 - SE928A2149

Model: 2.5" 128GB MLC SSD

SSD P/N MMCRE28G5MXP - 0VB

REV 0

F/W VBM18C1Q

-----------------------

The 2 serial numbers are as follows...

09290163-9713934

09290163-9713935

I hope that helps and i hope that means I dont need to return these drives.

-David Kennedy

• Corsair Employee
Thank you for taking the time to post that information it is exactly what I need to get this corrected, as I have stated previously they are most likely miss labeled by our production staff.

I have yet to install and/or test the drives and wont be building my new machine till Saturday.

If, before then, you find out one way or the other what I actually have in my possession I would greatly appreciate the information.

• Corsair Employee

What is the part number from us that is on the drive?

As long as it states CMFSSD-128GBG2D on the drive then there is nothing to worry about that is what we will go by. Also save a copy of you invoice it will have our part number there as well. If its new egg just log in to your account and you can view/print old invoices.

Hi,

I returned the drive back to Newegg for an exchange already on Monday morning.

I will be getting the exchange unit tomorrow.

If exchanged unit say S128 along with CMFSSD-128GBG2D on the label, I will test it this time.

Thanks,

KL

As long as it states CMFSSD-128GBG2D on the drive then there is nothing to worry about that is what we will go by. Also save a copy of you invoice it will have our part number there as well. If its new egg just log in to your account and you can view/print old invoices.

Good to know Ram Guy. Thanks for the info. I would like to raid these in the future. So I can just buy a P128 and be ok right?

After all this excitement, I checked the one that I just got from Newegg, too. It is a P128, and I am using it right now. Also, I saw your review on the Newegg site, KevinLau. Wow! You don't mess around. And a thank you goes out to the Ram Guy here. He is great! It looks like he's got a full time job just taking care of these Forums.

I believe I've just gone through the same issue. I purchased a P128 SSD drive from newegg yesterday, and paid for overnight shipping. Drive arrived this morning, and it also was marked as a S128.

I contacted newegg to try and find out what happened. Their support (or lack there of) was not able to explain and could only offer a refund. They would not check with the warehouse to verify if they even actually had the P128's.

I did, however, decide to run the ATTO benchmark on the drive before I shipped it back. I was able to achive write speeds in the high 180's and read speeds in the 220's.

Are these drives simply mislabeled?

Confused.

Aubrey

• Corsair Employee

Yes if you read what I posted previously in this thread they are labeled incorrectly and the part number is what you should go by there is no reason to RMA the drive as long as the part number is correct.

Originally Posted by RAM GUY View Post

... they are labeled incorrectly and the part number is what you should go by ...

Am I to understand that this is official confirmation that you have determined that the 2 drives that I have in my possession (serial numbers provided earlier) which are labeled "S128" are in fact "P128" drives?

Or, is this simply your best guess? or maybe something in-between?

My apologies for being a dick about this, but i have had these drives for a couple of days now when i could have simply returned them (as many have) for a refund and purchased identical drives from one of your competitors.

That the label is incorrect is not the question. The question is How much of the label is incorrect? That label not only contains a product designation, "S128" in my case, but also a part number and a serial number.

Clarity in this would be useful.

I had this happen also, twice. I was delighted with my first P128, ordered a 2nd one and got the S128. Sent it back and ordered again, and today I get the S128 again. From Newegg. The CS person was sweet as always but could only offer a refund.

My problem is, I know the P128 has a newer controller that cleans up the erased sectors automagically, so the write speed does not deteriorate over time, as it does on most other SSDs. So I don't trust anything not labeled P128 no matter what the new write speed is. It's the ability to keep a good write speed over time that convinced me to go with the Corsair P128 in the first place.

• Corsair Employee

That is the P128 as I stated previously it was just marked incorrectly.

And the S or P drives will both have the latest Version of the firmware available there are no issues with our SSD's that I am aware of.

It just HAPPENS to be labeled wrong, in 30 pt type on the front of the drive? Come on. I've been buying performance memory, usb flash drives and power supplies from Corsair for all our computers for a few years now, and I've NEVER been put on like this before. You need to make a few phone calls so you can be more forthcoming about what is happening here, or you will stand to loose at least one very loyal customer, and I would guess more than one.

OK, I've run some diagnostics and got a little more information from my original, correctly labeled P128, and the one I got today, labeled S128. This data is physical drive info read by Everest and also by a licensing program that reports physical serial number IDs.

P128:

Name: CORSAIR CMFSSD-128GBG2

Revision: VBM1801Q

Serial: 09230615-8970469

S128:

Name: CORSAIR CMFSSD-128GBG2D

Revision: VBM18C1Q

Serial: 09290163-9713942

Note that all three identifiers, the name, the revision, and the series part of the serial number are different. Note also that the S128 serial that I got matches the two S128s posted by davepk earlier in this thread, but does not match the correctly labeled P128 I had gotten two weeks prior.

The SSDs labeled S128 are clearly not the same as the ones labeled P128. For all I know they are later revs and even better (although the serial series number would indicate otherwise, as would the Rev number). But Corsair has an info page with S128 labeled SSDs, and another with P128 SSDs, with the P128 clearly positioned as the "Performance" version.

So why are S128s being shipped when P128s were ordered and paid for. And more important, why is this issue being stonewalled here?

Archived