Corsair Community

Bad timings or bad idea. CM2x2408-8500C5D

Darman

Hello all

I've been living so far with a corsair kit of 2x1GB 5-4-4-12 667mhz. Gigabyte GA-EP31-DS3L rev.1 Motherboard.

Bought a new kit: Dual Channel Corsair TWIN2X 2x2048MB DDR2, 1066MHz, XMS2 Dominator.

Everything went well on first start except games kept crashing to desktop instantly, no error messages. Running memtest brought up a dozen test 7 errors.

Checking the bios i found the old ram's timing was still active so i tried switching to 5-5-5-15, auto voltage. Auto voltage since this bios won't give me any specific values aside from +0.1 +0.2 etc. and I don't know where the value starts from.

Memtest: 1000+ errors in tests 5,6,7

After fooling around a bit in bios i've managed to get memtest to report errors in test 1 also.

After googling around i've learned 1066 is a bit overkill since i'm not interested in overclocking and 800 would work just fine, So i'm returning the kit to the retailer today. After reseating the old memory modules the computer wouldn't start and kept beeping, 3 times short.

I couldn't look into it further, i had to leave for work. I'm thinking a simple bios reset would fix this since i forgot to drop the timings back to 5-4-4-12 before removing the new memories?

I've checked corsair's online configurator and it said the motherboard could do best with a "TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX DDR2-800 (DHX2-6400C4) Size 4GB Kit (2 x 2GB) Latency 4-4-4-12 Voltage 2.1v Format 240-pin DIMM Heat Spreader Dominator"

Would you agree with that?

Archived