Corsair Community

Twinx 3700 and Msi Neo2 Problems? Weird? Help?

DeReD

Ok.. really wierd problem.. I have this P4 2.4C on my Msi Neo2-S 865PE board.. The processor is great.. with normal generic DDR 400 i can boot into windows and surf the net at 293FSB with a 3/2 divider of course.. So i decide to get the best there is and i got your Corsair TwinX 3700 512mb kit... Now begins the problem.. i can't run above 260mhz with a 5/4 divider .. why? Ram is rated at 466mhz (233) and 260mhz with a 5/4 divider means the ram would run at 208mhz Anything above 260 .. before windows loads i get a quick BSOD and reboot Also at 3/2 divider i can post over 270 fsb? To be on the safe side i kept the Vdimm at 2.85V The ram however does do 223mhz 1:1 ratio... What could be the problem..?? My CPu does do 290+ with normal DDR 400(dual) memory but theTwinX packs up after 260 in 5/4 and 270 3/2??? My dealer said i could take it back tomorrow morning if i was not happy... Please can anyone help.. Ramguy? Where r u? P4 2.4C 290mhz+ capable Msi Neo2-S 865PE stock cooler 80 Gb baracuda 7200.2 liteon cd-writer geforce 2 mx i have 512mb 3700 TwinX kit (gave it 2.85V) have 2 individual sticks of a noname DDR 400 350W power Supply.. Oh an i did set the ram timings to 3-4-4-8 My bios is 1.3

• Corsair Employee
I think that I have addressed this question in another post but here is some more info about the subject that will be related to this. [url]http://www.houseofhelp.com/v2/showthread.php?s=&postid=72606&highlight=DIVIDER#post72606[/url] And [url]http://www.houseofhelp.com/v2/showthread.php?s=&postid=75820&highlight=DIVIDER#post75820[/url] And the MSI bios seems to be a bit tricky to configure and they also have some auto over clocking features that seem to be causing problems so we would suggest that you disable any performance setting and set the timings manually to Cass 3-4-4-8 Ram Guy

RamGuy... I've not had any problem with any other ram that i have tested... i paid almost 180US$ for those sticks... I however returned them the next day and got a full refund.. I bought a dual channel kit from Twinmos... it is rated at 2.5-3-3-8 I can get them upto 233mhz at 2.9V.. memtest86 stable... at the same cas settings.. i am now running stable at 3.2Ghz... MSI Neo2-S 865PE 1.3Bios.. 2.4C @ 3.2 1.520Vcore 268FSB Intel 3G HSF 2x256mb Twinmos DDR 400 Dual Kit 214mhz 2.5-3-3-8 2.8VDimm 80Gb Seagate Baracuda 7200.7 Liteon 52x24x52 Geforce2 MX 440

• 2 months later...
I just went through building a brand new system and went through several days of hell trying to get it to work. MSI support finally said they thought the NEO2 MB had a defective disk controller, and I RMA'd the board for replacement (awaiting arrival of the replacement), but now reading through this forum, I'm less sure that's the problem. I have (or had) a MSI 865PE NEO2 FIS2R MB, with Corsair XMS3700 memory. I initially set the MB to default settings for performance, i.e., disabled dynamic overclocking, and memory performance as 'slow'. Upon trying to install Win/XP, I could boot from CD-ROM, run through the XP setup without any problem, but as soon as the setup was complete and it tried to reboot, it would get a "boot device failed" error. I could run the XP recovery console just fine, boot from floppy or CD-ROM just fine and browse the contents of my drives from the DOS command line ... I just couldn't boot from any HDD after performing an install ... which I tried on both P-ATA and S-ATA drives. MSI gave me the latest 1.8b BIOS for the NEO2 to try as a fix. It didn't help other than giving me an additional error message on boot which said "can't find NTLDR", and 1.8b actually seemed to screw up my IDE configuration for P-ATA and S-ATA. The original 1.7 BIOS allowed me to configure "both P-ATA and S-ATA" under 'native' mode for the Intel ICH5R and it saw all my drives (both parallel and serial), but 1.8b would only allow this configuration under 'Legacy' mode ... and then couldn't autosense any of the P-ATA drives, including the CD-ROM. The only way I could get 1.8b to see all the drives was to use "S-ATA Only", and "keep P-ATA enabled", which seemed a bit of a step backward, less than obvious. Does anyone here think my boot problems may have been related to memory timings described in this forum, or do you think the MSI support guy was probably right, and my ICH5R disk controller was defective on the MB?

• Corsair Employee
Please do a search for the MB you have and I think you may find most of the answers you are looking for as this is not a good example. As he is comparing a cass 2.5 module with Cass 2. But I would suggest some of the other posts like [URL=http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=88335#post88335]This one[/URL] as it may help you. But please let me know if you have any questions. Ram Guy

Archived